Join our zoo community

Zoo Tycoon Zoo Tycoon Much!!

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by ThylacineAlive, 31 Oct 2012.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I knew someone would point that out, however, in the past I've always used some form of dropbox, the Google Drive process is new to me and I don't have a clue how to follow through with it. I just for ZT2UC and would like to play it but I must have the remake.

2. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This thread is cool because I'm writing ideas for my own spiritual remake of Zoo Tycoon 2 (spiritual because I don't want to be killed by the copyright boogieman).

3. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

Post them as soon as you're done! I never submitted all my ideas since they are endless and very complex.

4. tigris115

Building your zoo
    - Make your own with a selection of fencing (make sure to put in barriers and moats for things like big cats, elephants, and bears)
    - Enclosures will have off-show areas for feeding, birthing, medical care, and a place to put the animals so the keepers can go out and clean up the exhibits.
    Choose from preselected and realistic enclosures (which can be built upon)
    - Be able to make animal houses in several building styles from classical houses reminiscent of the Bronx Zoo to the modern accommodations seen in some European zoos.
    - The maps will range from 50 acre lots in city parks (think London Zoo) to massive 2000 acre properties for safari parks (think San Diego Zoo Safari Park)

The animals
    - About 1,000-1,200 species (many may have to be scrapped, this is only a rough draft)
    - The AI must be able to reflect proper animal behavior including herding, pack hunting, giving each individual animal different personalities
    - Skin and model variants such as longer or shorter horns, tusks, antlers, etc., different shades for fur and skin, and imperfections such as broken extremities and scars
    - Realistic mating and birth (can be changed in options for those who are more squeamish)
    - Like in the game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, the animals will have ratings based on how popular they are with guests. For example, a common chuckwalla will be rated a 1 and a giant panda will be a 10)
    - Like the Zoo Tycoon franchise, animals will be limited based on your fame in campaigns and challenges (you may get animals randomly above your level as donations from other zoos or as rescues).

The people
    - AI will be top notch with guests and employees of your zoo behaving accurately
    - Again, like Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, guests will be in different groups based on what they like.
    o Families: Things that their children can interact with such as petting zoos
    o Zoo nerds: Will want to see animals generally rarer in captivity
    o General public: Just want to see a good zoo
    o Visitors: These are people from outside of town that you need to work extra hard to impress
    - You’ll need to keep in mind accessibility for disabled peoples
    - Hire, train, and eventually sack a whole manner of employees to keep the zoo in top shape

5. tigris115

I can help you with that.

6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are lots and lots of zoo simulator video games (ZT itself was made during the explosion of popularity that "tycoon" games had in the wake of Roller Coaster Tycoon) so a company could easily make their own zoo game without being sued, as long as it isn't stealing elements that are unique to the franchise. (such as, say, using a DDR style game to create extinct animals)

7. TheMightyOrca

I'm wondering if it would be possible to go bigger on the animals. I mean, if there can be over 700 Pokemon, a PC game with moderate power could probably hold at least 200 zoo animals. If nothing else, at least start with less than that and have room for lots of DLC animals.

What would you think of an animal relationship system? Like, animals kept together may develop certain relationships, like friendliness or hostility. If two animals are friendly, they might be unhappy if they get separated. If two animals are hostile, it would be wise to give them more space, or separate them. Animals raised together from a young age might be friendlier with each other. There would also be parental relationships, primarily between a female and her biological offspring, but it would also be possible for a female to adopt an abandoned young animal and create the same kind of relationship.

I'm debating how I'd want my release-to-the-wild system to work. For my version, any non-domesticated, non-hybrid, healthy individual has a shot at release. But I'd want to make it a little more complicated by creating a "rehabilitation" system for certain species. I don't want it to just be "press a button and it goes back to the wild". Like, maybe an animal has to be living in certain kinds of conditions to get a shot at release. (for instance, carnivores must regularly receive live food) There could be a little meter measuring their suitability for release, and once it's filled, you can release them.

8. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

Great ideas. I was thinking the same thing, except my release-to-the-wild thing would be more centered around conservation, whether local or international. It would be an organized collaboration between zoos other players have. In ZT2, any healthy adult animal, no matter what the species, could be released, even if it's a peafowl or a dromedary camel. It was just a way of getting rid of some of your animals while gaining some zoo fame.

The whole AI thing would be very advanced for the animal relationships stuff, probably more than it is today for most games.

9. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of my Instagram followers is currently in the process of recreating the entire Shamu Stadium from SeaWorld of Ohio, my hometown and childhood playground. In order to use it, you must place it into a lake and the edges of the created tanks will be programed to allow nothing to escape from the walls. I would show a demo but I do not think he would appreciate it being released, all I know is that will be out pretty soon.

10. TheMightyOrca

Yeah, that's why I want to do a rehab process. ZT2 made it too easy, like you said. Whenever I had animals I expected to die soon, I'd release them, and boom, easy fame. Also, in my version of the game, fame and reputation can fade, so if you want to have a reputation for releasing animals into the wild, you'd have to do it on a regular basis. Releasing vulnerable and endangered species would get you more points than a common species. I would allow for common species to be released because I want to allow for like, animal rescue and rehabilitation challenges where you might receive an injured or sick animal and have to nurse it back to health and release it.

The animal relationships thing wouldn't really be complicated, they would form based on simple interactions. Two animals living together for a long time will have a chance at developing "friendship". Living conditions and personality will also play a part. If an animal has an active personality but isn't given enough space, it might be more likely to become aggressive with its exhibit mates. Once again using Pokemon as an example, Pokemon also develop feelings toward their trainers based on interactions. (like if they faint in battle a lot, they don't like you as much) The game also has a simple personality mechanic that affects their stats, and breeding. If you place two Pokemon of the opposite gender in daycare, or any Pokemon with a Ditto, there's a chance they'll produce an egg. Certain personalities might be more or less likely to breed, while some won't breed at all. It would be a simple mechanic, like that.

11. tigris115

I meant just not using anything that would be associated with the specific IP (theme music, title, etc.)

12. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have any good zoo tycoon 2 replacements that work for a mac and are cheaper than 100 dollars?

13. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoo Tycoon 2
    Download it on a torrent for free
    Download hack to work without CDs
    Download Zoo Tycoon 2 Radical Remake+Aurora Designs Originals
    Download Zoo Tycoon ABC's modern model downloads
    Download various modern downloads from a multitude of sources

After about a day of effort it is functionally Zoo Tycoon 3 with hundreds of animals. I have over 500 user created animals some that go back 5 years (a Topi and a Tsseebee) that most don't exist anymore. I can google drive whatever you might want if I have it.

14. Youssarian

Youssarian Well-Known Member

So, I've been having some problems with user-created animals and I figured you guys on here might be able to help (since this thread is actually where I discovered user-created animals). Often times I'll click on an animal or object, and my whole Zoo Tycoon will just crash. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering deleting all my user-made stuff and going back to the normal game. And I'm not just going around downloading any animal; I've only downloaded the extremely well-made ones that seem to come from reputable creators (such as Radical Remake), and these issues are still happening. Any idea as to how I can get my game to stop crashing?

15. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh man, reading this tread makes me remember my days of playing Zoo Tycoon. I had the two zoo tycoon games, zoo paradise, as well as wildlife park 2 and both zoo vet games. I was hooked on those games, especially the zoo tycoon 2. Looking back on it, I realized how sad I is that Blue Fang Games (the company that created zoo tycoon) is now default, and no longer making new games. I also realize how ridiculous that Zoo Tycoon 2 was in that the asian elephant required scrubland, that the tyrannosaurus was the size of african and asian elephants, how ridiculous the walrus in the game looked, and how you can build a zoo on the south pole (and the lack of ethical diversity among guests).

16. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Youssarian, there might be errors in the coding or the downloads conflict with other downloads.

I play Zoo Tycoon at least once a week, sometimes I test new downloads or my own projectsite, but most of the time I just build zoos.

17. TheMightyOrca

Are you saying that, if given the opportunity, you WOULDN'T build a zoo on the south pole?

Yeah, they always made some weird decisions. Deinosuchus in ZT2 was covered in spikes. I hope simulator games like these make a comeback so we can finally get a hardcore, accurate zoo game. Though ya gotta have some fantasy elements, like having species that aren't normally kept in captivity. Making a fantasy zoo is a lot more fun when you can think outside of the bounds of what already exists. (as for the guests, yeah, they were all recolored sprites, though I was impressed at the diversity with the names. They didn't just give them common American names)

If nothing else, I bet an extinct animal zoo game could be pretty popular. There are so many weird and crazy animals that lived in the past, I bet lots of people would be excited to learn about them. Not to mention the cruelty potential would be immense. Build a big zoo with lots of crazy dinos, do a bad job of caring for them so they'll be unhappy, then delete all the fences!

18. Youssarian

Youssarian Well-Known Member

Has anyone else on here had such issues? A google search revealed that this problem doesn't seem to be very common... although I get glitches EVERY time I try to download ANYTHING user made. :(

19. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It happened to me with the aurora designs mods, so I don't use downloads.

20. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What animals besides penguins and seals can you put in a zoo in the South Pole!!? And yes, I like to have zoo-based games where you can take care of animals in which you can't normally see in most zoos without having to go to the species's country of origin. I simply hope that any realistic zoo games in the future get the animal models better than they did in 2004. I would also love to see a game in which you can just keep extinct animals. Just like Jurassic Park Operation Genesis but with a greater variability of animals than just dinosaurs.