Join our zoo community

Zoo Tycoon Zoo Tycoon Much!!

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by ThylacineAlive, 31 Oct 2012.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You could have some indoor exhibits for warm-weather animals. Many cetacean species could be kept. USE YOUR IMAGINATION

Er, anyway... If Pokemon games can have over 700 Pokemon, surely we could get a zoo game with hundreds of accurate, realistic animals. And with online connections, they could do lots of DLC. They made a new Zoo Tycoon for the XBox consoles, a lot of the animal models look good but it seems the gameplay is really, really lousy. Like, you can't even design the exhibits, you just place pre-made ones. The Kinect functionality sounds pretty cool, but that's about it. The XBox One version has 101 animals, but they reeeeeally went overboard with subspecies. Why does the game need 7 different types of lion? I bet they just wanted to be lazy and use the same models while calling them different animals.

I've heard Operation Genesis was a cool game, but used copies for the PC are so expensive. Since Jurassic Park is such a popular franchise, and with Jurassic World being so successful, I bet if they made a new one it could do pretty well. (there is a mobile game with a similar concept, but of course it's not the same) But yeah, I'd like to see a general extinct animal zoo game. Prehistoric animals outside of giant reptiles don't get much attention, but there are soooo many cool animals to choose from.

2. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, yes. I forgot about the imagination.

I actually wanted the new Zoo Tycoon for Xbox One, but then I realized that would probably be the only game I would play on it (I don't play video games outside of Nintendo) and also because soooooooo many animals are missing from it. Where the heck are the seals, koalas, kangaroos, leopards, monkeys, orangutans, gorillas, crocodiles, penguins, deer, and wolves? I also hate, for one thing, that you have to level up every time in order to get new animals and objects, and as mentioned you can't design any enclosures for the animals. Where the heck is the whole fun in that? But my main thing is that no matter how big the map is (and some of the maps in this game look and are huge), you have an actual limit to how much you can put in. You can't even fill up the whole zoo :mad:!! Today we live in a time in which technology is revolutionized every day, and people are making zoo games with just 100 animals. Really.

3. TheMightyOrca

Yeah, the game sounds pretty lousy. Why have such big maps and then put a limit that doesn't even let you fill half of it? Even if I had an XBox I'd pass on it. There are so many possibilities for animals in a zoo game, so it's quite a shame that this one is so limited. They do have a handful of more obscure animals, but at the same time miss out on a lot of basics. (and again, who asked for 7 different types of lion?) And the XBox One is a state of the art console, it's pretty embarassing that its version of the game has FEWER features than the one that came out 10 years ago. I was so happy to see that another Zoo Tycoon game was released (even if it was only for the XBox consoles, at least it means that Microsoft hasn't given up on the franchise) and was disappointed to hear that the animal selection and gameplay weren't very good. I'm hoping that simulation games will make a comeback, then we could perhaps get a hardcore zoo game. I know a lot of people were hyped for the upcoming Roller Coaster Tycoon game (until they saw the trailer, but Atari claims that it's not a finished product, so maaaaaybe it will look good) so if that game can do well, I think it could encourage Microsoft to make a better ZT game.

A while back I made like, an 8 page Google document (not counting the animal and DLC lists) about how I'd design a zoo simulator game, ha ha. I think I have a problem...

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This isn't a problem, this is brilliant!! A whole new zoo game that looks and sounds much more realistic and even more interactive than any new zoo game to come out recently. And designed by a zoochat member too, that alone gives my thumbs up ;).

I actuly had an idea years and years ago for a zoo-based stimulus game myself. Sadly though I deleted it. Sometime I might remake it post it on here. It had a list of real-world locations where you could build your zoo, labs to recreate extinct animals with for display, and the animals be be to the point where you have the ability to keep baleen whales and sauropod dinosaurs (be warned though, they will be expensive as S) :rolleyes:

SpinyLiving likes this.
  5. TheMightyOrca

I have an unfinished list for the animals and DLC that would be available, largest animal is the North Atlantic Right Whale, available in the Cetacean Nation DLC pack. (the largest animal you can start with is the common minke whale. I wanted to include a smaller baleen whale species that could feasibly be kept in captivity) Also working on an extinct animals expansion pack that would include indricotherium, sauropods, and various large sea creatures such as basilosaurus, mosasaurus, and megalodon. Though I'm having a hard time coming up with new features that the extinct animals pack could add. Maybe a selection of rides and games? Then players could go the "animal theme park" route if they want. Since it's based on a futuristic premise, maybe I could go into that for new feature ideas... Virtual reality stations, perhaps?

Ah, if only I were a game designer... I wanted to get into it a while back, but had no idea where to start. Eh, whaddya gonna do? At least I can dream.

6. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. TheMightyOrca

You know... There are lots of virtual pet online games where you can do all sorts of things. I wonder if a zoo management game could be programmed in such a style? Would be interesting, at least.

8. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I see its a little late but do you mind telling me how to use the Google Drive downloads for the radical remake? ... I got bored with ZT1 within 2 weeks and regret completely deleting ZT2 to make space.

9. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When you open the links on the AD website or elsewhere, look for an arrow pointing to a line. Click that and the download will start.

10. Moebelle

Just bought and downloaded (waited until 2AM) the Ultimate Animal Collection for PC. After a couple hours of gameplay I don't regret buying it but as predicted I don't advise anyone to buy it themselves. I like how well crafted the exhibits are, the animations, the rarer animals added between each fame upgrade, and the keeper/animal enrichments. However, the spacing between each exhibit is ridiculously far, even for 'Mini exhibits', scenery designs are pointless because you can't place them to act immersive, and without customization it becomes too repetitive. I'll post a video of the gameplay soon. It may be a downgrade from the previous game but it's nice to have as a stress reliever from ZT2:)

ZooBinh likes this.
  11. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I love the Zoo Tycoon franchise, but I am hoping that like Rollercoaster Tycoon, it gets a few spiritual successors, from what I know there is already the possibility that Frontier is gonna be making one

12. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really want to love and enjoy playing Zoo Tycoon, but I can never actually sit down and play it. I really enjoy downloading all the different mods, the 1000+ remakes and additional animals and biomes you can add, but then once actually in the game I can never sit down and actually use them. I'll always start a zoo with one exhibit then never ever go back to finish it, or spend ages planning a zoo and never go around to actually building.
    I've tried reverting to the base game, but once you get used to mods it just becomes nigh unplayable.

13. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I myself am a huge fan of the entire franchise. I'm pretty sure I have every single game available, although ZT2 is my personal favourite.

14. Moebelle

There are several of these online of people recording themselves playing the game, so I made my own short compilation of the most interesting aspects of Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection

15. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m replying to something over three years old, but I’ll agree that you shouldn’t have been able to release dinosaurs and what not into the wild and that this feature should’ve been limited to extinct animals like quagga, thylacine etc.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  16. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

Idk if this thread is still active but I just wanted to know if anyone has ever got albino animals? I just got an albino zebra while making an african plains exhibit!

17. ZPA

ZPA Well-Known Member

18. TheMightyOrca

Looks cool! Do you have the Radical Remake content downloaded? I think that's where it's from. I've been considering downloading some user made content, spice up my game.

19. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

20. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes. YES!!!!!