Join our zoo community

Zoo Tycoon Zoo Tycoon

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by Simon Hampel, 7 Feb 2004.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Has anyone played the computer game Zoo Tycoon ?

Basically, you have to build up your zoo from scratch while managing your budget and trying to attract visitors. Over time, enclosures get dirty and fences start to break down, so you need to employ zoo keepers and maintenance workers to keep things in order. Naturally, greater costs mean you have to attract more people to keep the funds rolling in.

There are also pre-built scenarios for you to beat such as achieving and maintaining a certain rating for your zoo within a fixed time period.

It's a fun game, and kids will love it - lots of active animals, great colours and (noisy!) sounds.

There are also two expansion packs (neither of which I have played) - Dinosaur Digs and Marine Mania, plus lots of free downloads online.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/zootycoon/

2. Laney

Laney Member

I tried it and was sucked in for 4 hours. I completely wasted my day off playing it. And i only played the free download version. I would love to try the real one. I give it a A+!
    Laney

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I have all three expansion packs but have avoided the 3d version as the aniamlas look too cartooney. It is an excellent game and the closest that I will ever get to having a zoo of my own.
    The creaters though don't really know animals all that well. For intance with animals like the lions, gorillas etc you need to have an equal number of males and females for them to breed. there is no allowance for animal species that have one male for several females (half the mammals) birds are not very well represented either.

But it is fun and I have spent many many hours creating my ideal zoo.
    Jason

4. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I am ZT2 mad, well i am a designer (user made) at the main zt website on the internet, any questions ytou have will be answered and any animal you want for zt2 i can make, well just about

5. Simon Hampel

Love your website - very well done.

I have a major project on right now that's stopping me from doing any redesign work on this site ... I put a new skin on it to stop it looking so boring - but it does need a lot more work - especially to get it up to the standard of your site :D

Well done.

6. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

well its not really 'my' site, i just work there

7. Simon Hampel

Ahh ... well - it's cool either way.

I haven't played ZT2 yet ... I assume you'll tell me it's far better than ZT1 and well worth playing ? :D

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yes it certainly is, jere are a few piccies of some of teh game, and i will also post some of my own stuff for teh game, Maybe there should be a Zoobeat pack for it, lol

This here is one of my not-so-bad animals the himilayan takin
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Gibbon-Fanatic/takin.jpg

An Australian Brush Turkey that i am working on, the crown will be removed
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Gibbon-Fanatic/brushturkey.jpg

A Red Ruffed lemur i coded
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Gibbon-Fanatic/piccie.jpg

heres one of my good friends Red Deer
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/Gibbon-Fanatic/Red20Deer.jpg

thats all for now will keep you all up to date on the game in the future

9. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

News Flash:

Just relealised at Zoo Admin is the penguin pack for ZT 2, it conntains every species of penguin

[​IMG]

note they are not all on the tundra biome

10. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

im still on the original , bummer

11. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know its older but it is the summer, and with the summer comes boring times. Does anyone know how to make jaguars, and all leopards happy??

12. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

Yes I like the game! First I had Zootycoon 1, it was easy and practical to work with. Because I was so addicted I bought Zootycoon 2. I had very high expectations but it realy sucks and is difficult to work with. Maybe I should have more patience :). So when I'm playing the game, it's Zootycoon 1.

13. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really loved ZooTycoon 1, and really hated ZooTycoon 2...

Number 1 is a great game, played it loads but it's been a while. Perhaps i should dig it up again...

14. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Zoo Tycoon 2 seemed a bit too child-orientated at times, in my opinion. Yes, I know games like these are aimed at kids, but did we really need smiling grizzly bears and tigers, pink elephants and blue rhinos...

Zoo tycoon 1 was a much better game, but that was probably because there was more of an objective to it and I connected with it more. Now if ZT1 had ZT2's 'sandbox' mode... ;)

15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't get my leopards happy most of the time. Jaguars just seem to like a rainforest environemnt. They've never given me any problems. My worst animals are markhor. They are never satisfied.

16. CZJimmy

Quartz and Bongorob, I have a strategy guide that was bought for me along with ZT1 when it first came out. It has profiles of each animal available and the percentages of correct habitat tiles. It requires a little calculation with the exhibit size, but following these percenatges can keep tricky animals happy. If i can dig out the book, i'll post the requirements for each animal for you two.

Another ZT1 tip that was in that book, if you want to increase exhibit suitability, place 4 plants in each grid tile. This quadruples the happiness points when placing plants in the exhibit. So when the animal starts showing unhappy faces at new plants in the enclosure, place some plants in the same square as existing plants.

17. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Do you know how I can get that strategy book?

18. CZJimmy

mstickmanp:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Tycoon-Official-Strategies-Secrets/dp/0782140424/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215635340&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Zoo Tycoon: Sybex Official Strategies & Secrets: Michael Rymaszewski: Books[/ame]

there is the book from the US Amazon. Hope that helps!

19. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Thanks CZJimmy, but do you know if there is a complete edition strategy book.

20. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I much prefer ZT1 and have a whole range of additional animals (above and beyond the full microsoft list) + the software package that allows you to design your own zt1 animals which is also fun.:)