Join our zoo community

ZOO Ústí nad Labem Zoo Usti nad Labem news

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Woxys, 8 Apr 2009.

1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Himalayan vultures are rearing one chick. The chick came from Zoo Zlin, its parents left nest before hatching. It hatched in incubator, got transported to Usti and adopted by their breeding pair.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The former sea lion exhibit has been refurbished and is now home for a small group of African Penguins that were sourced from Living Coasts, Torquay.

A single Mexican beaded lizard hatched recently - the first breeding in this zoo. An adult trio (1.2) is kept on show and they are the parents of the newborn.

The only Black-backed Jackal cub from last summer is now as big as its parents.

Late last year, the adult male orang was euthanised. Initial diagnosis was lung cancer. Autopsy found out it was actually massive existence of tapeworms of the Echinococcus genus that took ca 90% of the lung volume.

The pair of Dwarf Caimans (Paleosuchus trigonatus) on exhibit in "Exotarium" has built a nest, laid eggs and 10 youngs hatched there. They can be seen swimming with their parents.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2018
    Kifaru Bwana and FunkyGibbon like this.
  3. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ridiculosly bad news for @beccasunbear... Today Zoo announced birth of Sun Bear cub. That means their part of pavillion is temporarily closed with baby to be unveiled after 4 weeks, which means that you'll probably just miss out on seeing it

4. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

becca will hate and love it.

i am just totally psyched, finally a cub! did they have a press release or anything, i could not find anything - then again i am not even sure if my czech google search is spelled correctly....

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This has to be the first Sun bear cup in Europe in five years or so?

6. HOMIN96

So far I've only found photo and short video on their instagram. According to zoo it's first cub in 7 years.

7. HOMIN96

It's 7 according to zoo and the previous one was actually it's elder sister right?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

The last cub born in Europe was Babu on June 20th 2011, same dad same mom ;-)

9. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Okay, so maybe I will now cancel my trip and come later. This may actually work better as I’m waiting to start a new job at the moment, and being away during this time could delay my start date. As I posted in another thread, it’s really great news; Myanmar and Barma are leading the way for the whole of Europe!

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Still it is something to rejoice now!

It is a pity that the breeding program in Europe is going so slow.

11. agnmeln

I’m keeping to my original trip as planned and then booking a revisit to Usti to see the cub on 5th June.

12. HOMIN96

Some more details: Birth happened on 16th February, sex isn't known yet. (My personal tip is male, looking at photos on zoo's facebook)

13. HOMIN96

Also this is great to hear, as we don´t have to reschedule our meeting :)

14. agnmeln

I’m really hoping for a boy!

I emailed the zoo yesterday to ask for information surrounding the current viewing arrangements. I am assuming that the entire sun bear area is cordoned off at present, however of course Myanmar and Babu will be separated from Barma and cub right now. So I wondered if it may still be possible to view Myanmar and Babu at this time. I’m hoping this may be the case.

15. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

It would be quite hard to remove access to just the sun bear outdoors, so my guess is they'd either close the entire path around the Carnivore House, or just make the indoors off show, in which case you'd probably be likely to see the other bears.

16. agnmeln

I would have thought that too, although the reports made it sound as though the entire enclosure is shut off. Here’s hoping I can still see some bears on my first visit! (I’m developing quite a thing for Myanmar!)

17. HOMIN96

Closed is only that part of Carnivore house belonging tu Sun Bears. So there is still a chance to see Myanmaar/Babu outside

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. agnmeln

This makes me even more pleased that I didn’t completely cancel, postpone and rearrange my entire trip! Thank you.

19. agnmeln

You’re right - Myanmar and Babu are still on show, so I’m glad I am still going! I am told they rotate between being outside. Fingers crossed that Myanmar is outside on the day of my visit, I would love to chill with him.

20. HOMIN96

Sun Bear cub now confirmed as female

Kifaru Bwana likes this.