Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Zoo Visit 30.1.2011

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 30 Jan 2011.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Today, in 30 degree temperatures and average Taronga Zoo crowrds, I braved going to the zoo mostly by myself. The entrance precinct still is not finished, however, a keeper told me when it will be completed. I will only post some points of information:

-Only one koala in koala walkabout
    -I saw my first tuatura!
    -Little Kipenzi is very cute and Kriba reminded me of a human mother as when Kipenzi cried she patted her and rocked her. What looked like Frala was funnily throwing straw at Mouila when Fuzu was trying to suckle from her, and Mouila did not like it one bit :D!
    -Francois langur Saigon has has had a baby either one or two nights ago and luckily I was one of the first to see it, even before the keepers. One of the keepers (which I had a pleasant chat with) sad that Taronga had about 7 or 8 Francois langurs in one group (1 male, 6 or so females and the new baby) and that "one came from New Zealand!"
    -The same keeper also told me that they are trying to breed all the species of seal
    -She also told me that the next developement will be a renovation of Wild Asia such as maintanence after I asked what will happen to the tapir exhibit if the tapir passes away
    -No mention of acquiring new chimps and the enclosure is looking very good with develpements, scheduled to be completed in March or possibly later
    -Entrance plaza should have been completed by now but is now scheduled to open in March
    -A new species is going on the former De Brazza guenon enclosure but the sign states "You can still see the gibbons at AR ........ (forgot Area Reference). Does this mean the two gorilla enclosures are being renovated into one or Mary might be moving home?

That is all and I had a wonderful day. Another exciting thing is that I signed up for Youth at the Zoo and start mid next year!

Last edited: 30 Jan 2011
  2. torie

torie Well-Known Member

Sorry to break it too you but it was guest services and the vollies tha manned the langurs today. We don't have 8!! There is two groups, and off display pair and the now 4 on display. They may have been talking about the gorillas when she said 8?

What makes you think Mary will give up her tree any time soon! She loves that place!!

3. Jabiru96

Well the keeper/vollie said that it was a large group of 8 and we were most definately talking about Francois langurs.

I wasn't saying Mary will be moved I thought it was just interesting that they mentioned gibbons and a new species in that exhibit in the same sentence, and I do not think they will move the white cheeks.

The vollie/keeper said that she was part time seal and part time primates for one year so I thought she was a keeper and was wearing the same shirts as the elephant and seal keepers were?

4. torie

torie Well-Known Member

We all wear the same uniform. Not being a part of the convo I can't say for sure what she meant but seeing as how you could see the langurs you could most likely tell there are not 8 :)

The signs just point out the gibbons as the closest species to the debrazza, the exhibit will be a temp housing for a brand new species to the zoo, they should be in fairly soon :)

Hope you enjoyed your visit :)

5. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

MANDRILLS?????? fingers crossed.

6. torie

torie Well-Known Member

I wish!!!!!!!!!

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've never heard of Francois' langurs ever being in NZ so I think she may have got the wrong end of the stick with that bit of info. (Potentially if as torie supposed she was confusing them with the gorilla information, she may have been referring to the gorillas that will be going to NZ. Just a guess)

8. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

Well Adelaide has moved a male and female pair from the zoo to somewhere else, so possibly mandrills at taronga?

9. Jabiru96

Nope, we were most definately talking about Francois langurs, and she said one came from New Zealand (which I know is definately wrong). She said she worked part time seals and part time primates but was better with the seals so I think she doesn't know much about where they cae from, but was really nice and encouraged me to join the YATZ program, which I did.

I also would like to mention I saw good old Mary and Bethyl, sitting close to her trunk of her tree and sleeping under her cave respectively.

10. Jabiru96

I only saw 4 on exhibit but I thought there could be more as she was telling other visitors that they are taking a break and are in the "cave around the back" that is not visible to the public.

Yeah, its just I thought she was a keeper as she said she was a part time seal and part time primate keeper. She said it was a whole troop but I never heard of Taronga getting more than 5. Anyway, exciting news about it!

I wonder what species it will be? I wouldn't mind seeing colobus or as boof said mandrill but maybe lemurs from WPZ?

I did thanks, and I will be back once the new chimp enclosure is finished. I also enrolled for YATZ which is very exciting volunteering at my favourite zoo!!!

Last edited: 30 Jan 2011
  11. Jabiru96

This could be great news and hopefully Taronga will be able to bring more bloodlines in (that is if they are mandrills)

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

torie already intimated that it isn't mandrills

13. Jabiru96

Ok, ok so I was only dreaming :D! It would be great if it was or some sort of medium sized African monkey such as colobus or vervets.

14. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Ring-tailed lemurs??

And where has the de brazza monkey gone?

15. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bingo - temporarily!

16. Jabiru96

Hi Steve,

Do you know where from?

17. Steve Robinson

Yes thanks - from whence and to where ultimately!

18. Jabiru96

Cool. All I want to know is how many and that is it thanks

19. Steve Robinson

That is not for me to divulge.

Besides, no offence meant, but I find it difficult to communicate with someone whose name is UrMumzAGoat [or a Guy depending on where you are at] and who's avatar is a pig! What happened to that nice mature name that you were going to get?

20. Jabiru96

Sim hasn't been very busy lately so he hasn't had the time to even consider changing my name. Glad you noticed the pig avatar, I took it at the zoo yesterday!

So once again, I have to wait until Sim gets back.