Join our zoo community

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Zoo visit

Discussion in 'United States' started by ericnielsenpdx, 4 Jul 2008.

1. ericnielsenpdx

ericnielsenpdx Well-Known Member

Just visited Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, and haven't looked at my pictures yet, but wanted to share that in the 10 years since I have been to the zoo they have added many new and renovated displays. Some of the older exhibits are still in place ( they house a nice collection of rarities though ), but Kudos go to the beautiful African Rift Valley exhibit and the brand new Rocky Mountain Wild display. The Rocky Mountain Wild exhibit includes a walk through mountain lion exhibit ( enclosed by glass, which one of the mountain lions stood on and peered down at us - quite an interesting and effective exhibit -I thought it could have been bigger though) , and a Forest Fire Tower elevator takes you high above the zoo to an Enormous grizzly bear exhibit - it appears as if they may have expanded an exisiting exhibit, because the grizzlies wrested and played in one spacious outdoor yard, and then passed through a gate into what appeared to be a brand new yard , very large, and naturalistic ( they jumped into the clear pool , with underwater viewing windows, and continued wrestling - the trout darted out of the way, and the bald eagles were perched high above in the background ). I have been to many zoos all over the world, and this may be the best grizzly exhibit I have seen.
    Renovations were underway in the outdoor orang exhibit, and a sign announcing a new snow leopard exhibit was posted near the Bird and Reptile House.
    Definitely worth visiting if you are anywhere nearby.