Join our zoo community

Zoo With the Least Amount of Species

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animal_expert01, 5 Feb 2020.

1. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

There is no equivalent of the 10 spp rule here in the UK, as just one non-domestic spp/individual requires a full Zoo Licence which Trentham Monkey Forest needs. The budgies are an interesting anomaly as the spp is 'normally domesticated', but the individuals could actually be wild ones...? The school would not need a licence for its fish tank as the public would not have access, unless is was a school zoo like at least one in the UK. But, if that fish tank were in a public park, or farm park, for example then a licence would be needed as soon as one non-domestic animal is kept. An exemption from inspection by the full inspection team can be applied for, and if granted is done on a case by case basis, with no precedent set by previous cases.

I guess a 'Trentham Monkey Forest' could exist in NL, it would just need to build a small aviary or add a fish tank in its reception, to add another 9 non-domestic spp..?

2. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11 species ("more than 10") actually, because it would need to be a fully licenced zoo to be able to apply for a permit to keep primates. What I was trying to say is that a facility that solely houses a single primate species - like Trentham Monkey Forest in its current form - is not possible under the current legislation in NL.

Budgerigar is not on the list of species excepted from the 10-species rule, and neither are goldfish, cats or dogs. The list is made up of so called "production animals" and features species that are commercially farmed.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Absolutely, although in the UK there is no differentiation between 'production' animals and 'pet' ones - it is simply listed as species 'not normally domesticated in the country', and does not list or limit purpose.

4. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A park with barbary macaque prehaps.

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't imagine that many people would agree that Launceston's (in Tasmania) macaque exhibit would be considered a 'zoo', as it is within a park and free. However from a regulation point of view I suspect they would have to abide by the same rules as a zoo. Probably a grey area for what constitutes a 'zoo' and what doesn't, depending on whether you are local authority, member of public or rabid zoo fanatic.

6. robking1991

robking1991 Member

The way Marwell is going, they will be on this list in 10 years haha!

7. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

There are many deer parks legally registered as zoos in India, containing only axis deer. On the other end of the scale, there is a parrot park with easily fifty species of bird but is still not classed as zoo!

8. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it's since changed, but the Grizzly Discovery Center in West Yellowstone, Montans used to only exhibit grizzly bears and gray wolves.

9. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The University of Alaska, Fairbanks manages the Large Mammal Research Center, which is open to the public and sports a gift shop:
    - Caribou/Reindeer
    - Musk Ox
    - Domestic Cattle

In Palmer, Alaska, not far from my home, one finds the Musk Ox Farm. This facility is open to the public and sports a gift shop:
    - Musk Ox