Join our zoo community

Zoo Wuppertal Zoo Wuppertal News

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 31 Jan 2009.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

So what happened to Bili the Bonobo? After all the fuss, and as is so often the case, he seems to have been forgotten now by activists and the press. Is he integrated in the full group now or still living in a subgroup?

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Last I heard, the young twins(?) and their mother that were most aggressive were separated from the group, while Bili and Mato rejoined it. Having missed out on a trip there with a friend in July, i'll be making up for it this week.

3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member

If Eja has indeed been separated then it should be her, her twins Azibo and Ayubu and her younger son Bakari...however, I believe that all ten of the bonobos at Wuppertal are now fully integrated!

Pertinax and littleRedPanda like this.
  4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

The keeper I asked today said Eja and her sons are a separate group. I didn't ask any further about it, but they are still being monitored via camera and the lower viewing area cordoned off to the public. However, there were five in each room in the afternoon, so I wonder if they are still trying to integrate them rather than move Eja and her offspring to another collection, or maybe just giving Eja some adult company from time to time.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  5. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member

The zoo has announced today that it will move the two remaining Chimpanzees to free up space immediately for the Bonobo. Earlier the zoo has always said that the 51 year old male would remain in the zoo until its death. In the recent press release it did however say that there are no records in the studbook that age negatively impacts chances of survival after a move.

The 36 year old female, Kitoto, will move to Antwerp. The 51 year old male, Epulu, will move to Heidelberg.

Security Check Required

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member