Join our zoo community

Zoo Zamosc

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Nisha, 1 Sep 2014.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice to see a new bachelor herd.

But Zamosc has a really small zoo, I ´m still surprised they built a giraffe house.

3. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not so small. Zoo changed much in recent years with help from norwegian grants.

4. Jana

Zamosc has never been on my list of Polish zoos to visit. Maybe I have to change my list :)

5. Norwegian moose

Norwegian moose Well-Known Member

What do you mean? Have we helped a zoo in Poland in a way or another?

6. Jana

Norway is not an EU member. But it negotiated with EU some preferencial treatment. And for this, Norway agreed to give some amount of money into funds, that can be used by EU members - so called norwegian grants. This amount is roughly the same what Norway would have to pay if it would be a EU member.

To be honest, from what I could see, a lot of money from these norwegian grants used in Czech rep were used in not really a good way. A lot of wasting, if not stolen.

My opinion is that EU money and subvences should be restricted to a small amount, and used only for some good cases that benefit all (internationally important transport infrastructure, desease control, waste treatment etc.). Stop with all these crazy subvences for agriculture, regardless what France wants. These subsedes may make Czech (and not only Czech) farmers happy, but they destroy Czech nature in a very quick way, the negative influence in just few years is wast. Stop with tourism subsidies - in most cases, thise money was stolen in one or other way, it went into private pockets. Also subsidies for increase of competitiveness are ridiculous - I´ve been part of one program for a short time, and those overpriced training/consulting companies are just blackholes for money.

So yes, you as a Norvegian, has helped to build a giraffe house in one Polish town you have never heard about before. But, that´s rather one of the better ways how to spend these money.

And sorry for the off-topic.

7. Arek

Yes. Zamość Zoo is on the east of Poland near to ukrainian border. Zoo realised project „Construction of the border quarantine and shelter centre for animals illegally imported to the Schengen zone and the educational and training centre on the basis of Zamość Zoo” and funds were donated from Norwegian Financial Mechanism. Money for next stage of renovation came from European Regional Development Fund.

8. Arek

I was there years ago so it is on my list but is so far on east and there is no another zoo nearby.
    And I totally agree with you about subvences for agriculture - it is road to nowhere.

9. brongracz

brongracz Active Member

How much is it in Ha, the area in Zamość?

Greetz from Antwerp!

10. Arek

Area is the same for many years: 13,8 ha. But many new enclosures and animal houses in recent years.

11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. Noodles

Noodles Active Member

As I learned today, on 28 August 2018 Makar, the 2 year old male Amur Tiger, was unexpectedly to the zoo visitors from the Duisburg Zoo handed over to the Zoo Zamosc in Poland.
    Take care, Makar!

14. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

On 16th May one Black and white ruffed lemur was born BUT... it could be more interesting as it sound at the beginning. The mother is Colie and she is 24 now!

She was born at Colchester. This is probably the oldest black and white ruffed lemur mother ever in zoos. Father is 15 and came last year from Usti nad Labem.

Source is zoo's facebook fanpage.

Kifaru Bwana and HungarianBison like this.
  15. Jana

Two recent arrivals are: young male lion Akashinga from Brno and female sloth Sid from Herberstein.
    Article

Neva likes this.
  16. Jana

Fresh arrival is 1,0 Marsh mongoose from Magdeburg zoo.

1,1 simbil storks arrived from Zoo Landau.

Two Amur tigers were born at the end of August and now the zoo lets visitors vote for their names on FB page.

Source

twilighter likes this.
  17. Jana

The zoo will obtain African penguins. It plans to start construction of penguin exhibit in summer and open it in spring 2025. Budget is 2,3 mio eur and it´s already secured (most comes from EU development funds).

Plan includes new exhibits for takins and white lipped deer.

The zoo keeps 2500 animals in 300 species and its attendace was over 220.000 in year 2023.

Source

Antoine likes this.