Join our zoo community

Zoobat Collections (N. America)

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Coelacanth18, 26 Oct 2016.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also kept by the North Carolina Zoo.

Mexican free-tailed bat, Tadarida brasiliensis
    San Antonio Zoo

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Odd; I knew about the vamps, didn’t realize they weren’t listed before.

I probably won’t include insectivorous microbats in the updated version, since there are so many species and I don’t know of any North American zoos that actively breed or manage them (as I understand it, they are all or nearly all rescues). Now, if San Antonio has a breeding colony of Mexican free-tails, I would be *very* interested in that.

3. jayjds2

I'd still be interested to see the list with those species included, to give a true sense of what is and isn't kept. I can't find very much information about whether zoos are breeding their insectivorous bats, or really much information about their management at all. Not sure whether SA is breeding theirs, but they sure do have a lot.

4. Coelacanth18

While I’m also personally interested, I’m not sure that a list of insectivorous bats kept in zoos *would* give a true sense of what is kept and what isn’t. I imagine there is probably a high amount of turnover, which means any comprehensive list would become outdated real fast. Creating and updating a list would also be problematic because of a dearth in public information, since they are usually (if not always) rehab animals kept off-exhibit and/or used for educational outreach. As to breeding and management, research and experience is limited.

That being said, if you and/or others want to do the research on it, feel free to post your findings on this thread. I’ll consider it for the future, but for now my focus is going to be on more traditionally kept and managed species like in the original list.

5. jayjds2

In that case, a few more I’ve recently come across:

Big brown bat, Eptesicus fuscus
    Virginia Living Museum

Lubee recently went into two more species:

Evening bat, Nycticeius humeralis
    Lubee Bat Conservancy

Southeastern myotis, Myotis austroriparius
    Lubee Bat Conservancy

6. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Big Brown Bat, Eptesicus fuscus
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, ZooAmerica

7. jayjds2

I was misled by Lubee’s website here, they no longer have these species nor A. jamaicensis.

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Never mind, apparently Brookfield has unsigned Egyaptain Fruit Bats behind the rods.
    I know you said only AZA, but Timbavati Wildlife Park holds Egyptian Fruit Bats.

Milwaukee holds Ruwenzori Long-Haired Fruit Bats.

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Henry Vilas Zoo hold this species.

10. drill

drill Well-Known Member

so does Catoctin zoo

11. Coelacanth18

Thanks. When I talked to a keeper about it, they told me about a second species of bat in the enclosure. Called it a "rose" or something similar. Looking back on it, I realized that they probably said "rousette", which would probably mean Egyptians. I'm still not sure why they would have added them, though (or why they are still unsigned).

I meant to start updating this list around Halloween (seemed timely) but I guess now is fine. We should start compiling.

Common Vampire Bat: North Carolina Zoo, Philadelphia Zoo, Texas State Aquarium, Cincinnati Zoo, Buffalo Zoo, Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, Louisville Zoo, ZooAmerica (Hershey, PA), Denver Zoo, Little Rock Zoo, Milwaukee County Zoo, Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo, Dallas World Aquarium, Moody Gardens, Rolling Hills Zoo

Unanswered questions:
    - I'm assuming that Toledo Zoo no longer holds vamps? Last I read their exhibit was empty as of this summer and the bat symbol was removed from the map.
    - Does the Bronx Zoo still have vamps, or was that in World of Darkness?
    - Gulf Breeze Zoo in Florida held vamps at least until 2009, but I don't know if they're still there. The two people who have posted photos for that zoo since then don't appear to be currently active.
    - Does anyone know other zoos that hold vamps?
    - GraysonDP reported in 2016 that construction was undergoing at Audubon Zoo which would lead to them acquiring vamps; anyone know if that happened? (note: this was Phase II of Jaguar Jungle)

Last edited: 14 Jan 2018
  12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

They were moved to Sosto Zoo in Hungary.

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Question:

In another bat thread it is mentioned that Topeka and Sedgwick have (/had) Ryukyu Flying Fox(es) Pteropus dasymallus. Any ideas on where they came from (so, e.g., which subspecies they would be)?

I can't find anything on google about them, and the old ISIS records from 2011 have the two zoos as holding only Pteropus giganteus.

The CITES database only has records of specimens (i.e. not alive) being imported into the USA.

14. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All I can tell you is the Pteropus currently at Sedgwick are labelled (and look like) giganteus.

Attached Files:

15. jayjds2

I’ve been to Topeka twice, I think in 2010 and 2011. My memory isn’t perfect from that time period but I remember giganteus, and their website also suggests that. I haven’t been to Sedgwick but their website (which is generally very complete in terms of species list, if a touch out of date) also says giganteus. Could you link us to the thread you found this on? I’d be interested in having a read.

16. Chlidonias

Post from 2011: Please help!!! I need to find zoos with bats!

"Sedgwick county has common vampire as well a Ryukyu flying fox, and Topeka also has Ryukyu." (by KCZooFan)

From a review of Topeka Zoo, also by KCZooFan from 2011:
    Topeka Zoo Review

"The small rainforest was the first one in the whole country, back in 1974. However, it has been surpassed by much larger buildings at zoos such as Omaha, Sedgwick County and the Bronx. It is still a nice exhibit though. Outside is a small fishing cat cage, which also has a decent, dark indoor exhibit. Neither exhibit provides a good view of the cat. A small loop trail leads visitors around the building, as well a tall overlook of the exhibit. There are several nice exhibits for dwarf caimans, Asian small-clawed otters, Southern three-banded armadillo, and red-kneed tortoise, Malayan chevrotain, and a cage for Brazilian porcupines. These exhibits are concrete fronted, but feature plants and natural substrate. There are several interesting free-roaming animals, such as a Hoffman’s-toed sloth, Chinese muntjac, Ryukyu flying foxes, and even a tamandua. The large number of free-roaming birds includes blue-throated piping guan, gray-necked wood rail, crested wood partridge, white-faced whistling duck, ringed teal, red-crested cardinal, Bali mynah, scarlet macaw, gray parrot, scarlet ibis, hamerkop, and white-crested laughing thrush. The small building is full of lush, mature foliage, as well as a pools and even a tall waterfall. I find it to be about as nicely done as possible for a building its size, and has a nice mixture of birds and small mammals."

BigNate likes this.
  17. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went to Topeka Zoo in late march of this year. There are still bats in their tropical dome, but I didn't see any type of signage, for any of the animals for that matter.

18. jayjds2

Odd. KCZooFan also once claimed that Omaha has Madagascar flying fox, but this is also false. Maybe it’s just them?

19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx keeps Indian and Rodrigues Flying Fox, not Malayan.

To my knowledge, Bronx does not have Straw-Colored Fruit Bat or Common Vampire Bat. I can confirm Pallas's Long-Tongued Bat for Houston and Ruwenzori Fruit Bat for Franklin Park Zoo. Bronx had the Pallas's until the Monkey House closed in 2012 so I don't know if they're still bts or what.

California Living Museum keeps Big Brown Bat as well.

~Thylo

20. Chlidonias

Yeah, after your and Ituri's posts I figured the bats KCZooFan saw would have been the giganteus and somehow he thought they were Ryukyu Flying Foxes.