Join our zoo community

Louisville Zoo ZooBinh's Honest Louisville Zoo Review 11-03-18

Discussion in 'United States' started by ZooBinh, 5 Nov 2018.

?

How do you say Louisville?

1. Lou-is-vill

7.1%
  2. Loo-ey-Vill

71.4%
  3. Loo-a-vul

21.4%
  4. Loo-a-ville

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To start off, I would like to apologize for not having species list available along with this review (I was short on time at the zoo, also was pretty lazy :(), I deeply apologize.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Louisville Zoo
    Islands

This was probably my favorite complex in the zoo, many rarities (I say my first Nene and Meller's Duck!), impressive exhibits, though unfortunately, part of the building was under major renovations. I missed the tigers and tapirs because they weren't on exhibit (there were 3 rotating exhibits with 5 species, I saw Bornean Orangutans, Sulawesi Babirusa, and Siamangs).

HerpAquarium

The building design was, eh. Nothing much in the building, though some of the fish exhibits were very small. I liked seeing the Chinese Alligator, the building was very hot and stuffy, but it was very nice, the nocturnal exhibits and the Temple of the Dragon impressed me somewhat.

Cats of the Americas

The second most depressing complex in the zoo. I really liked the Bald Eagle exhibit in the center, though the Canda Lynx exhibit was nothing special and the Cougar exhibit was a bit on the small side.

South America

Very depressing. It was very underdeveloped, barely anything, two huge yards for Maned Wolves and Guanacos, while unfairly, Snow Leopards, Jaguars, and Hyacinth Macaws were kept in ridiculously small and nasty enclosures. They had more space around those exhibits, couldn't they utilize it, instead of just a large field with a tiny enclosure in the center? I know they are working on improving, but it was just sad.

Glacier Run

I don't get the hype about this area. The owl, sea eagle, polar bear and pinniped exhibits were great, but the Grizzly Bear exhibit was small, and looked beary (;)) uncomfortable. I was here during a lot of construction, so I didn't see everything in the zoo.

Australia

Accidentally skipped it, and my OCD is triggered :(.

Gorilla Forest

Probably the other good part of the zoo, I loved the conservation message of this complex. It really had a strong statement, shouting out the bushmeat industry that brought tears to my eyes. The exhibits were amazing, and I cannot fail to see why this complex won the AZA Exhibit Award.

Africa

Africa was a decent area. The exhibits weren't anything horrible, just not anything outstanding. The elephant exhibit was sad, and the hoofstock exhibits (besides the Bongo and Addax) were barren. I thought it was decent, but was the quickest pass-by (it was I think the largest part of the zoo?)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed my review of the Louisville Zoo, and I hope that their new master plan really impresses me.

EDIT: Can someone tell me what the MetaZoo was?

-ZooBinh​

Milwaukee Man and StoppableSan like this.
  2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The bears rotate between the two habitats in Glacier Run - there's something we disagree with, I do agree with the hype;) I see why the AZA awarded it Top Honors.

The MetaZoo is a discovery/educational center. I've never gotten a good, thorough look at it each time I've gone through the building but I assume this is where camps and classes take place. Its home to several terrariums that display mainly local creatures - along with a black-footed ferret.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. ZooBinh

I wanted to go in it, though I wasn't sure if it was an open building or not. I should've went in.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Despite going through it a few times, I always got this unwelcoming feeling that I wasn't supposed to be in there.

StoppableSan and ZooBinh like this.
  5. ZooBinh

Yea, I walked by it, but I felt like it was "for the little kids" (like my grandma would say). Dang, the little ones get the best things! I thought it was a behind the scenes area that camps would learn in, which came with the luxury of seeing a black-footed ferret.

StoppableSan likes this.