Join our zoo community

ZooChat 2018 stats

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

As we close out 2018, I thought it would be interesting to look at some stats for the year on ZooChat.

Let's start with Posts vs media comments per day (28 day moving averages)

upload_2019-1-1_22-57-45.png

Same data, but adding posts and media comments per day in a stacked chart to give overall totals:

upload_2019-1-1_18-15-31.png

Not sure what happened in October? Possibly the opposite of whatever happened in April?

Interestingly, on my other sites, we get a huge dip in December due to Christmas - but ZooChat just keeps going strong at this time of year.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2019
    ZooBinh and Jambo like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Posts vs media comments per month

upload_2019-1-1_18-21-24.png

Stacking them to give overall totals: Posts + media comments per month

upload_2019-1-1_18-21-54.png

ZooBinh and vogelcommando like this.
  3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

These data look fishy; I don't really think that posts and comments should track each other so religiously, and I don't really think that we get more comments than posts.

Is it possible that 'comments' somehow includes posts?

ZooBinh and CGSwans like this.
  4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Given that photos tend to be uploaded in large dumps - at the end of trips, say - you’d expect the ratio of new comments to new posts to fluctuate much more than is shown in the graphs, and to be correlated much more closely to new media uploads than to new posts.

Jambo likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

I had difficulty finding a good way of representing posts vs media comments for longer yearly charts, so I did a few of them.

First up, just posts per year:

upload_2019-1-1_18-45-3.png

2018 was our biggest year ever for forum posts - huge jump!

Next, media comments per year:

upload_2019-1-1_18-45-16.png

Notice the sharp drop off in 2017 when we migrated to the new software :(

Now, stack those previous two charts together to get overall yearly volume:

upload_2019-1-1_18-46-14.png

Finally, I've done a stacked percentage chart, which shows us a comparison of what percentage of overall post volume was from posts vs from media comments.

upload_2019-1-1_18-47-24.png

Note that in 2010, 2011 and 2014 more than 50% of our "post" content was from media comments :eek:

ZooBinh likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

It's a stacked chart - the comments are added to the posts to give a total overall. Basically, I'm treating comments are a form of post (indeed, in the old version of the site - comments literally were posts), so it's the overall total which is significant.

You can see in the most recent "Posts + media comments per year", for quite a few years we had a similar number of comments to posts - indeed in 2010 media comments outnumbered posts 55,000 to 40,000.

Since the move to the new forum software, comments have dropped off significantly - although interestingly, post volumes are up strongly this year.

7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Ha! That makes a lot more sense :p
    Although as CGSwans says I'm now surprised that comments are so consistent.

8. Simon Hampel

Given just how many photos get uploaded on a monthly basis, you'll find that it averages out overall - comment volume likely is related to media upload volume (I can do a chart for that if you like) - but on a month-by-month basis, it's all probably fairly consistent and wouldn't fluctuate as much as you might think.

Will get to the media per day/month/year charts shortly which should be interesting.

CGSwans likes this.
  9. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For me this is because Christmas is the one holiday I have a year where I'm not travelling -i.e. I have more spare time to post than usual. Maybe it's the same with others too?

ZooBinh likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

I've gone back and added Posts vs Media comments charts which more clearly shows the relationship there (ie there isn't really any relationship between posts and media comments).

Will do the same for monthly and yearly charts.

11. Simon Hampel

In Australia, Christmas is our main holiday period - school is out for 6 weeks or more over summer and many people go away. Combined with the fact that many of the people using my other sites (PropertyChat in particular) do so from work - it's not surprising that traffic drops off significantly over Christmas when everyone takes some time off.

Of course, on ZooChat - summer just means more reasons to visit zoos (and then post about the visits!), so there doesn't seem to be any dropoff in mid year for northern hemisphere summer.

Jambo likes this.
  12. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think this is a credit to the work of a lot of posters in the past year or two to actively curate good content. The various photographic guides, lintworm’s must-see zoos thread, some excellent trip threads and various games and competitions have created something of a renaissance here. Three or four years ago ZooChat had become a little boring, at least to me - it seemed at risk of becoming a glorified RSS feed for zoo birth press releases. Now it’s a creative and thought-provoking space, and I think that’s a wonderful thing.

TZDugong, Vision, Giant Panda and 6 others like this.
  13. Simon Hampel

I agree totally - there have been quite a few members (both moderators and regular members) who have stepped up and created some genuinely high quality threads which has really engaged our membership and driven most of this increase in post volume.

Combined with the fact that I think our moderator workload has been pretty low recently - very few "issues" between members to be sorted out. The mods are still very busy - but they are spending their time curating content and advising me on the direction of the site rather than sorting out squabbles, which is great.

Heaps of discussion happens behind the scenes - a lot of it in the last 12 months around site policies and content management strategies. I think we've made fantastic progress recently (thanks mods!) and I'm working hard to get the new site built which will allow us to fully implement the things we're hoping to achieve.

JVM and CGSwans like this.
  14. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

My hypothesis for the October drop is that it's related to the end of the summer holidays for students in the Northern Hemisphere. The drop seems to start just after the start of September and slowly decrease which seems to fit the idea that it's younger members posting less after their summer holidays are over.

Jambo and FunkyGibbon like this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Media uploads per day

upload_2019-1-1_19-30-43.png

Did people do some big trips in March/April 2018? Curious about the big spike there.

The uptrend from June - Sept is understandable due to northern hemisphere summer.

So now to the question of "is there any correlation between media comments and media uploads?"

upload_2019-1-1_22-59-20.png

Answer: not really? perhaps a little!?

I think the reality is that most uploaded photos don't get many comments - so if there is any correlation, it is masked by the high volume of photo uploads.

There might be more of a correlation visible if I wasn't using moving averages (the spike in comments after uploads is likely to happen in the days immediately after the upload - while a 28 day moving average kind of hides that) ... however, when I tried generating a chart from the raw data, the day-to-day fluctuations were so high that it was pretty much impossible to see any trends at all.

Back when our comment volumes were much higher I have no doubt there would have been a closer correlation between media uploads and media comments.

16. Simon Hampel

Media uploads per month

upload_2019-1-1_21-50-9.png

Nothing terribly surprising here - slump during northern hemisphere winter is pretty obvious.

ZooBinh likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

Media uploads per year

upload_2019-1-1_21-54-30.png

Quite a strong uptick in photo upload activity in the last few years and 50% higher than in 2015

ZooBinh likes this.
  18. Simon Hampel

New user registrations per day ("valid" users only - meaning: users who have fully completed the registration process including email validation - and also have not been banned or had emails bounce back as undeliverable)

upload_2019-1-1_22-51-46.png

Last edited: 2 Jan 2019
  19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I have a feeling that we had a lot of photos from @ThylacineAlive (who had been on a trip throughout the southern USA in January/February but took a month or two to upload his photos) and @vogelcommando in that month :) also, this is around the time Chli and myself started doing photographic guides so there may have been an increase in photo uploads specifically for the purpose of filling gaps.

ZooBinh and ThylacineAlive like this.
  20. Simon Hampel

New user registrations per month (valid users only)

upload_2019-1-2_13-8-3.png

ZooBinh likes this.