Join our zoo community

zoochat awards

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by epickoala123, 13 Nov 2012.

1. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure if anybody has done this before I but I think that we should have THE ZOOCHAT AWARDS 2012:D

catergories

best urban zoo
    ????
    best setting for a zoo
    possibly:monaco zoo,taronga zoo,salzburg zoo??????

best zoo in world:??????

best zoo in north america:both in san diego, bronx, smithsonian, la, columbus, woodland park,toronto,belize,cinncinatti,omaha?????

best zoo in south america:????

best zoo in africa:national zoo of south africa?????

best zoo in britain:colchester ,chester ,bristol, whipsnade, ,howletts,london,edinburgh,highland wildlife park?????

best zoo in europe:beauval,burgers,antwerp,leipzig,berlin,basel,vienna?????

best zoo in asia:jerusalem biblical,ueno,beijing,singapore,singapore night safari????

best zoo in australasia:adelaide, australia/steve irwin, perth, taronga???

best aquarium:atalanta,monterrey bay,shedd,seaworld san diego,san antonio,orlando,genoa???

best zoo in five years time:??????

most improved:????

worst zoo in the world:angkor(cambodia),guzoo(canada),capital of texas(us),las vegas(us),eagle heights(uk),giza(egypt),abijan(ivory coast),alexandria(egypt),medan (indonesia), surabaya(indonesia)????

best small zoo:????

i've probably missed some obvouis one so I want your honest opinions.
    more to come about the best enclosures.
    :D:D:D

Last edited: 14 Nov 2012
  2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Hi epickoala,

This kind of idea has come up before, but in many different incarnations:

http://www.zoochat.com/2/zoochat-awards-2008-a-57564/
    http://www.zoochat.com/25/zoochat-zoo-awards-277466/
    http://www.zoochat.com/25/zoochat-awards-204735/
    http://www.zoochat.com/2/zoochat-2011-awards-192083/
    http://www.zoochat.com/2/zoochat-awards-110262/

A lot of your list is going to be driven by opinion, but I think most people would agree that Twycross zoo and Dubai aquarium (unless you're only talking about single tanks) should be taken off their respective lists, and Lisbon Oceanarium and a couple of Japanese aquariums should be added to the 'Best Aquarium' category.

I think 'worst zoo' is a bit unfair, and I would disagree with some of your nominations; but that's what these threads are for:
    http://www.zoochat.com/2/worst-zoos-68069/
    http://www.zoochat.com/173/worst-enclosure-photo-zoochat-273524/

3. epickoala123

I've now taken out twycross and dubai and added atlanta to best aquarium

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you had an award for 'most discussed Zoo in the UK' Twycross would win hands down.

5. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

And not only the zoo but the boss as well:), seriously, I sincerely hope in the future that Twycross can be considered as a candidate for best zoo, and with the benefit of a sound direction there is no reason why it could not be in the future.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that could only happen if they tore down most of the existing buildings and started again from scratch, preferably on a landscaped site.;).

7. epickoala123

this is just to help people decide.
    could we start having 5 nominees for each categorie.

best urban zoo:five nominees please
    best setting for a zoo:five nominees please.possibilities include taronga zoo, salzburg zoo,monaco royal managiere
    best zoo in the world:ten nominees please

best zoo in north america:five nominees please.possibilities include san diego zoo, san diego wild animal park, bronx zoo, los angeles zoo, colombus zoo, woodland park zoo, toronto zoo, belize zoo, cinncinatti zoo, omaha's henry doorly zoo

best zoo in south america: five nominees please

best zoo in africa:five nominees please(no safari holiday like things). possibilities national zoo gardens of south africa

best zoo in best zoo in britain:five nomineess please.possibilities colchester zoo,chester zoo, bristol zoo, zsl whipsnade, zsl london, howletts zoo, edinburgh zoo, highland wildlife park

best zoo in europe(no british please):five nominees please.possibilities zoo antwerp, zoo parc de beauval, burgers zoo arhem, leipzig zoo, berlin zoo, berlin tierpark, basel zoo, vienna zoo

best zoo in asia:five nominees please.possibilities jerusalem biblical zoo, ueno zoo, beijing zoo, singapore zoo, singapore night safari

best in australasia:five nominees please, possibilities perth zoo, adelaide zoo,australia/steve irwin zoo, taronga zoo

best aqarium in the world: five nominees please. possibilities shedd aquarium,national aquarium in baltimore, atalanta aquarium, genoa aquarium, monterrey bay aquarium, seaworld san diego, seaworld orlando, l'oceangraphic, lisbon aquarium, dubai underwater aquarium, okinawa churuami aquarium

best zoo in five years time:five nominees please

best small zoo: five nominees please

best unknown zoo:five nominees please.possibilities trotter's world of animals(uk), pairi daiza(belgium)

worst zoo in the world:ten nominees please.possibilities colombo zoo(sri lanka), EAGLE HEIGHTS(uk), angkor zoo(cambodia), surabaya zoo(indonesia), medan zoo(indonesia), guzoo(canada), capital of texas zoo(us), las vegas zoo(us), giza zoo(egypt), alexandria zoo(egypt), abidjan zo(ivory coast) (please note that my suggestions for this particular categorie are only zoos featured in the gallery so feel free to suggest roadside zoos)

looking forward to your nominees

:)

epickoala123

8. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I cannot read a single post you write. The English language uses capital letters, punctuation, and proper spelling.

9. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

I think i can help you.

Categories:

Best urban zoo: Five nominees to be decided.

Zoo with best setting: Taronga, Pretoria, Monaco, Honolulu, ASDM.

Best zoo in North America: San Diego, Bronx, Woodland Park, Columbus, Omaha.

Best zoo in Latin America: Buenos Aires, Temaiken, Chapultepec, Belize, Rio.

Best zoo in Africa: Five nominees to be decided.

Best zoo in Europe: Berlin (Z), Berlin (T), Prague, Leipzig, Arnhem.

Best zoo in Asia: Five nominees to be decided.

Best zoo in Oceania : Five nominees to be decided.

Best aquarium in the World : Georgia, Monterrey Bay, Valencia, Lisbon, Okinawa.

Best zoo in ten years: Five nominees to be decided

Best zoo with only native fauna: Five nominees to be decided

Best zoo for breeding: Five nominees to be decided.

Best zoo in the World: Ten nominees to be decided.

More categories can be added.

10. epickoala123

Thanks for the long list,with some good suggestions.
    Finished list for the enclosure awards coming soon.
    I think that we should have a deadline for suggestions so that suggestions won't just last forever or so it dosent die out.
    For the possible nominees for the worst zoos I personally want to add cougar mountain zoo (us).