Join our zoo community

ZooChat Big Year 2020

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 31 Dec 2019.

1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Bunyip State Park. We went there tonight as it is the closest place to home where I thought we might see both greater and yellow-bellied gliders. Heard yellow-bellies but no luck otherwise. A good place for mammals, other than macropods also saw a sambar deer.

Mammals

38. Bare-nosed wombat Vombatus ursinus
    39. Sugar glider Petaurus breviceps

Birds
    308. Pied currawong Strepera graculina
    309. Scarlet robin Petroica boodang

Strange coincidence with the numbers.

2. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This ended up being a misidentified small dusty wave, so I'll continue listing from #67. The new #67 is called "Common corona moth" in Dutch, which is coincidental!

INVERTS:
    67) Elderberry pearl, Anania coronata

68) Inlaid grass-veneer, Crambus pascuella

3. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First time birding at my local spot since the end of lockdown and I truly had a fantastic session after a rather slow start, embodied by my third Bonelli's eagle there in three straight years, an early tern and finally a lark lifer!

113 - Bar-tailed godwit, Limosa lapponica
    114 - Bonelli's eagle, Aquila fasciata
    115 - Common tern, Sterna hirundo
    116 - Greater short-toed lark, Calandrella brachydactyla
    117 - Barbary partridge, Alectoris barbara

4. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks. I'll have a look at that website.
    It's a family trip so I probably won't be able to do too much but maybe I can convince everyone to have a go at them Eagle Owls. Is it fairly obvious where to find them at that location?

5. Vision

I've seen them there twice now, both times from an observation 'wall' which should be fairly straightforward to find (the observation point is labelled "Oehoe Vallei" on google maps, and has a rather prominent wooden eagle-owl statue in real life). From that point you look into the quarry, and the owls should be against one of the quarry walls, usually on the western wall which would be on your right. It can be quite difficult to see them with just binoculars though, and I dragged my telescope all the way up the hill last time I was there to get better views. There is a mounted telescope there as well, but like mounted public telescopes everywhere I don't know to what degree it still works.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went for a walk around sunset and found a little nature preserve area I never knew existed. Saw a good few birds, most I already had but was able to add two more:

54) Great Crested Flycatcher Myiarchus crinitus
    55) Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina

~Thylo

MRJ likes this.
  7. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Mammals:

1. White-Tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus)

Birds:

5. Red-Tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)

MRJ, TZDugong and ThylacineAlive like this.
  8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Fish
    8. Round Goby Neogobius melanostomus

MRJ likes this.
  9. Vision

A fairly late individual of this increasingly regular, but ever difficult to connect with vagrant showed uncharacteristically well, and was my first ever in Belgium!

BIRDS:
    214) Eurasian thick-knee, Burhinus oedicnemus

ThylacineAlive and ZooBinh like this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Birds
    220. Acadian Flycatcher Empidonax virescens
    221. Hooded Warbler Setophaga citrina

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

A new butterfly today at Twycross and a couple of birdy stops on the way home - Willington Gravel Pits for a summery duck and Alvaston Park for Britain's only wild (albeit naturalised) parrot.

Birds:
    176. Garganey - Spatula querquedula
    177. Ring-necked Parakeet - Psittacula krameri

Invertebrates:
    46. Ringlet - Aphantopus hyperantus

:)

12. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

Research failure on my part, this would be a brown morph of the roof rat Rattus rattus since Norway rats are only found on the coast and on islands.

13. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Willington's just down the road from me and I didn't know there were gravel pits there (in my mind I only think about a couple of good pubs and the monstrous, remnant, cooling towers).

Alvaston Park's less than three miles as the crow flies and I had no idea there were parakeets there (though I saw one in my garden once and assumed it was a, more local, escaped pet -now I'm wondering). Is this a known colony of birds there, just a one off or just a nice surprise for you?

14. Maguari

It's a former-gravel-pit-turned-nature-reserve situation: Willington Wetlands | Derbyshire Wildlife Trust

It's also the proposed site for the first soft release of beavers in Derbyshire; the Wildlife Trust was fundraising for this before lockdown with the plan for it to happen this year (not sure how it's been affected by... *gestures vaguely at whole world*).

Good site for egrets, terns etc as well as bittern and waterfowl. It's also where I saw the biggest starling murmuration I have ever seen.

No, I went there on information received. :D

There's a colony of at least a dozen birds there, mostly reported from the area around the lake/tennis courts - only took me 10 minutes or so to find some of them yesterday. :)

Not sure if they're breeding at this site yet. By far the furthest north I've encountered them.

15. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brachter Wald

Birds
    103. Sand Martin (Riparia riparia)
    104. Common Redstart (Phoenicurus phoenicurus)

Anyone know if the Fallow Deer there are countable?

16. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Many thanks for this clarification, whilst not a birder I really don't have any excuse for not going to check out these places now. Who knew such wonders were on my doorstep? :oops::oops:

Maguari likes this.
  17. Maguari

Yeah, get out there! South Derbyshire actually has quite a lot to offer in terms of wildlife, perhaps counter-intuitively as the north of the county is notionally 'wilder'.

18. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

22/6/2020
    127. Little Raven

19. Maguari

Just to update myself, for anyone interested, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust posted on their social media yesterday that they'd secured the funding needed for phase one (construction of the beaver-proof fence) and are now fundraising for the actual costs of transporting, health-checking etc the beavers. So the project progresses well enough. :)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  20. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Took a walk to the local country park. The Chiffchaff was a nice spot as I've been hearing them all lockdown but they've been very good at hiding. The Bank Vole was a complete surprise!

Mammals
    9. Bank Vole, Myodes glareolus

Birds
    52. Chiffchaff, Phylloscopus collybita
    53. Great Crested Grebe, Podiceps cristatus

ThylacineAlive and Maguari like this.