Join our zoo community

ZooChat Big Year - Index

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Chlidonias, 30 Dec 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Originally started by @jbnbsn99 in 2013, these threads have become a ZooChat institution. The post that started it all (ZooChat Big Year):

Because why not? Let's have a ZooChat birding Big Year. Tally lists of birds you've seen (just this year only). I know we have a lot of active birders on the site. We can have categories for world list, single country/region list, single state list, etc.​

Also refer to The Big Year movie thread about the movie The Big Year (2011) - IMDb

The Big Year threads are used by ZooChat members to list the species of wild animals (birds / mammals / herptiles / fish / invertebrates) they have seen for the year.

Here are the links for the previous years:

The basic "rules":
    1. Make sure to number your lists.
    2. Keep separate numbered lists for whichever animals you are listing (birds, mammals, herptiles, fish, invertebrates)
    3. Species must be part of an established wild population or be a natural migrant/vagrant/straggler. Exotics don't count unless they are part of an established breeding population in the country.
    4. Animals must be wild.
    5. Subspecies do not count towards your total, only full species.
    6. Have fun.

It is helpful if you include scientific names (especially for the mammals because I keep track of them to post a full list at the end of the year).

Last edited: 31 Dec 2023
    Pleistohorse and boof like this.
  2. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks chlidonias for the work you put in for these threads. I use the bird list as a back up to my iphone year list and paper list.

Pleistohorse likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why was the 2018 Big Year split into 4 threads? It just seems to be more confusing than anything...

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

@Simon Hampel can probably explain things better than I can, as this was done on his request :)

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

As a general rule, threads longer than 1,000 posts become too unwieldy and difficult to manage - the post rate for the 2018 thread was initially looking like approaching 1,500 posts for the year, so I decided to break it up into quarters instead.

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is there a thread where you post the totaled mammal tallies for each year? Apologies if this isn't something you post publicly or if it's available somewhere super obvious and I'm just being daft but I tried to find it and came up empty.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The mammal list is at the end of each Big Year thread - I've linked them all below. The 2018 mammal list isn't on that thread yet though, because I'm still waiting for the last from @Najade.

For 2013: ZooChat Big Year 2013

For 2014: ZooChat Big Year 2014

For 2015: ZooChat Big Year 2015

For 2016: ZooChat Big Year 2016

For 2017: ZooChat Big Year 2017

8. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, makes so much sense. Guess I was being daft after all XD

Huge thanks for 1) compiling these, and 2) posting the links here. I appreciate it.

9. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Can I suggest this thread is pinned and updated with this year's big year?