Join our zoo community

ZooChat Challenge Global 2022

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by ZooBinh, 1 Jan 2022.

1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And just like that, 2021 is now done. Hopefully this year had it’s moments full of positivity and happiness for everyone on the forum, as it did for me :). With restrictions regarding the global pandemic loosening in 2021, hopefully we all visited more zoos than we did in 2020? I know I sure did (I actually think I’ve visited the most zoos I’ve visited in a year…ever? Not sure though.).

This year, I will be joined by @ThylacineAlive as he returns to host the tenth installment of the global challenge along with me.

2021’s challenge revolved around miscellaneous mammals. With 2022’s, you may be able to start tonight, as our theme is nocturnal animals. I will not that this is not a perfect list on what animals are nocturnal, and some non-nocturnal animals will be included, as we are determining the eligibility of species based off the ‘general consensus’ of how nocturnal a group of animals are. However, there will be some noted exceptions. The following animals count in this year’s challenge:

Monotremidae (Monotremes)
    Marsupialidae (Marsupials)
    Orycteropodidae (Aardvark)
    Tenrecidae (Tenrecs)
    Xenarthra (Armadillos, anteaters, and sloths)
    Gliridae (Dormice)
    Hystricidae (Old World Porcupines)
    Erethizontidae (New World Porcupines)
    Castoridae (Beavers)
    Heteromyidae (Kangaroo-rats)
    Pedetidae (Springhares)
    Dipodidae (Jerboas)
    Calomyscidae (Mouse-like hamsters)
    Nesomyidae (Malagasy rats and pouched rats)
    Cricetidae (Hamsters, voles, lemmings, deer mice, and muskrat)
    Muridae (Spiny mice, gerbils/jirds, Old World mice/rats)
    Leporidae (Rabbits and hares)
    Dermoptera (Colugos)
    Cheirogaleidae (Dwarf and mouse lemurs)
    Daubentoniidae (Aye-Aye)
    Lorisoidea (Loris and galagos)
    Tarsiidae (Tarsiers)
    Aotus (Night-monkeys)
    Erinaceidae (Hedgehogs)
    Chiroptera (Bats)
    Hippopotamidae (Hippos)
    Tragulidae (Chevrotains)
    Pholidota (Pangolins)
    Nandiniidae (African Palm-Civet)
    Prionodontidae (Linsangs)
    Viverridae (Civets and genets)
    Hyaenidae (Hyaenas)
    Felidae (Cats)
    Canidae (Dogs and foxes)
    Mephitidae (Skunks)
    Procyonidae (Raccoons, coatis, cacomistles, and kinkajou)
    Mustelidae (Weasels, badgers, otters, etc.)
    Apterygiformes (Kiwis)
    Strigiformes (Owls)
    Podargiformes (Frogmouths)
    Gekkota (Geckos)
    Crocolydia (Crocodiles, alligators, and gharials)

Within the list above, there are animals which will not count:

• In Marsupialidae, numbats
    • In Mustelidae, otters
    • In Gekkota, Phelsuma (day geckos)

Aside from these three exceptions from the list above, there is an additional stipulation which must be addressed, the Owl Rule.

Some nations such as the United Kingdom have significantly higher numbers of owl species in their zoos and owl centres, which is an automatic advantage over other players. So, in the case of owls, players may only count owls that are native to the continent they are in. For example, North American players can count only North American species, and European players can only count European species. However, if a North American player visits a European zoo, European species would count for them, yet any North American species seen in a European zoo would not count for that North American Player. Make sense? Let us know if you have concerns.

Disclaimer: As of now, IUCN taxonomy will be used for a general reference. Any taxonomic debate will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.

Rules are as follows:

1. You have to actually see the animal, even if just for a second. You don't score if you visit a collection but don't see the animal (harsh, but fair);

2. Proof via photographs is not required, your word is your bond;

3. All entries must be presented in numbered list form, with scientific names included (simply to make it easier to keep track of and to avoid uncountable species being slipped in due to vagueness);

4. You have to see the animal via normal public access (zookeeper for the day or photography days behind the scenes do not count) during normal public opening hours (i.e. no scoring because you know the keeper and can get access before/after hours). Basically the species has to be seen as Joe Public would;

5. Any severely limited opening or private collections don't count for this challenge. Controversial yes, but see previous point and it isn't fair to include a handful of days these collections might be open to the public as this might logistically disadvantage a large number of people;

6. Only public zoological collections, museums, public park displays, etc. count, animals seen at farms or pet stores do not count;

7. Report/update your progress on this thread as you go along;

8. Only one subspecies per species can be counted;

9. Controversial entries due to splits will be discussed on a case-by-case basis;

10. Domestics do not count, the animals must be in a wild form. You can count a species that's been domesticated just as long as the animal you're looking at isn't;

11. Hybrid animals do not count;

12. Wild animals do not count, all species must be seen in captivity under all the conditions listed above;

13. Anyone caught severely violating any of the above rules and/or participating in extremely unsportsmanlike conduct on or even off the forum is subject to disqualification (these are made for fun, by all means take them seriously but please do not ruin the fun for anyone else. I do not expect to have any problems, but I've added this in just in case);

14. Any issues with any of the above rules is open to discussion but the rules are set and any decisions made are final;

15. Apart from the unlikely event that someone gets to see all the species potentially viewable by 12/31/22, the winner will be deemed to be the person who's seen the most at that date.

Thank you to @Shorts for the concept of the challenge and the general rules format.

I think that’s all I have to say. Have fun, stay safe, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Jan 2022
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Otherwise known as the "Explicitly Devised To Foil TLD, As Admitted To Him A Few Days Ago" Rule :p

3. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

Interesting seems like nocturnal houses will be my advantage for this one since a lot zoos I plan on going this year have them.

4. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Happy Zoo Year 2022

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  5. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Damn shame I won't make it to Bristol before the nocturnal house closes... That said, with the last Kowari gone, the other species can be seen elsewhere.

Great challenge though, I can't wait to get involved after a years hiatus on my part.

ThylacineAlive, ZooBinh and pipaluk like this.
  6. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Heading back to Barleylands in the not-too-distant future so should be able to start with a bang!

TNT, pipaluk and twilighter like this.
  7. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very intriguing challenge @ZooBinh! You made my life difficult again. To stay and stare at wooden boxes 45 minutes, while the normal people, just enjoying their zoo. The Geckos are Tera Incognita for me, but the other groups are all among my favourites. Let's hope for more open borders and better 2022 !

8. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sounds like an intriguing challenge, will definitely be taking part, but I have one question: Why no Hyaenidae? Striped are nocturnal and aardwolves tend to also be predominantly nocturnal. 80% of Brown hyena activity is at night and Spotted hyenas are known to be active at night.

HungarianBison, Mbwamwitu and ZooBinh like this.
  9. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe the authors put a lot of thought in this @amur leopard, but Hyaenidae is a fair point. Eupleridae would be a nice addition, as well :) Maybe they will squeeze in the last moment?

ZooBinh and pipaluk like this.
  10. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know would travel be resume from me, but one question which i assume some would be interested too: If I see an animal during the "light on" session in nocturnal house would they be qualified?(A lot of nocturnal house have that reverse daylight cycle situation) I don't see a reason not but I figured i might ask.

11. ZooBinh

After discussion with @ThylacineAlive, we seem to have totally overlooked the hyenas. They will be added to the challenge.
    Eupleridae has been considered, yet we reached a conclusion that since it seems the species are split pretty evenly both diurnally and nocturnally, they would be excluded from this challenge.

12. ZooBinh

As long as you see the species.

pipaluk likes this.
  13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary - January 1 2022
    1. Snowy Owl Bubo scandiacus
    2. Northern Saw-whet Owl Aegolius acadicus
    3. Barred Owl Strix varia
    4. Great Horned Owl Bubo virginianus
    5. Long-eared Owl Asio otus
    6. Eastern Screech-Owl Megascops asio

I'm winning!

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I want to thank @ZooBinh for once again being willing to operate the Challenge for me. I love hosting the challenges and I really wanted to come up with a fun non-taxonomic category this year (the global iteration's first!), but with my infrequency on the forum nowadays it isn't feasible for me nor fair to you all for me to take it on alone and risk being AFK for a couple months, potentially putting people at a disadvantage somehow. @ZooBinh did an excellent job last year and I'm happy we can both share the load this year :)

To be clear, you do not need to see an animal in a nocturnal house or at a night safari for it to count. Many of these animals are primarily exhibited outdoors or otherwise in diurnal conditions, and as we know we are sadly losing many of the great nocturnal houses as time goes on. Any of the above admissible taxa can be viewed under any circumstance deemed acceptable by the Challenge's general rules.

~Thylo

15. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

@ZooBinh do big Cats Count or only small Cats?

16. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Felidae includes all cats, both big and small :), so yes, all cats are valid for this challenge.

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As @amur leopard said, all of Felidae counts.

~Thylo

German Zoo World and ZooBinh like this.
  18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Linton Zoo 2nd January

1 Lion (Panthera leo)
    2 Tiger (Panthera tigris)
    3 Snow Leopard (Panthera uncia)
    4 Scottish wildcat (Felis silvestris)
    5 European Barn Owl (Tyto alba)
    6 Eurasian Eagle Owl (Bubo bubo)
    7 Binturong (Arctictis binturong)
    8 Cape porcupine (Hystrix africaeaustralis)
    9 Parma Wallaby (Notamacropus parma)
    10 Red-necked Wallaby (Notamacropus rufogriseus)
    11 Red Kangaroo (Osphranter rufus)

Hopefully a few more to add tomorrow...

Rajang-GOAT, CMP, Brum and 5 others like this.
  19. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where will you be visiting tomorrow my friend, Hamerton?

pipaluk likes this.
  20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good guess!

Rajang-GOAT and migdog like this.