Join our zoo community

ZooChat Challenge Global 2023 - 10th Anniversary Special!

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by ThylacineAlive, 30 Dec 2022.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One request. Given the sizeable administrative task associated with this one, can we relax the rules a little about having to include both common and Latin names? I understand requiring it where there might be ambiguity (eg, ‘black bear’ or whatever), but when the context is clear (there is only one Asian elephant species, and only one death adder called the desert death adder), is the extra work really necessary?

nczoofan, Rajang-GOAT and TNT like this.
  2. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you @ThylacineAlive for creating such an entertaining event! This is giant! My only fear is that I will embrace it in some point of the year.

Question: You say 2 spieces extinct in the wild makes for totalt 4 species?

ThylacineAlive, Kalaw and TNT like this.
  3. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This made my head hurt a little... but very excited to get stuck into the challenges this year!

This is also a wonderful idea @CGSwans !

iluvwhales and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  4. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What about the biggest one of them all? The infamous Capybara? Wouldn't that one need a bigger trap :p

Thylo's Bonus Challenge
    See at least one predator-prey exhibit setup at any zoo.

What defines as predator-prey? Cause I could stretch this really far and say that the Peccary x Prairie dog X Porcupine at Burgers' Desert could count given how peccary are known to eat rodent species if given opportunity. But I could also frame a shark tank with other species in it as predator-prey?
    So how do we go about submitting a predator-prey exhibit?

All in all looking very forward to participating in this Challenge!
    It seems like a incredible struggle to pull off but I want to try and complete as many as I could from the Netherlands and maybe with a few bits of travel to Germany or Belgium, but as I don't have a drivers license I may be limited to just trains and busses... and ofcourse time .... We'll see how it goes!

Last edited: 30 Dec 2022
  5. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

My first full year on ZooChat, and as such, my first ZooChat Challenge Global can now commence (in two days...)! I should be able to complete some of these challenges, but even if I don't, this should be great fun!

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Am I right in assuming that one species challenges (ex. River Giants) still do not count for One-Zoo Wonder?

7. twilighter

I am thinking about few in Europe:
    Hamburg's African Panorama and Eismeer,
    Magdeburg's Africambo,
    Land of the Cold at Pairi Daiza,
    Lion/Savannah exhibit at Valencia,
    Cheetah/Black rhino/Patas Monkey at Leipzig

Rajang-GOAT and Ursus like this.
  8. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

Yes, you are.

9. Ursus

Aren't most of these a hagenbeck situation rather than actually a carnivore with a herbivore together?

Cause if that counts then Burgers' Rimba enclosure with the Sumatran tiger onto the herbivore field would count given there's just a fencing inbetween them and you can on a good day see a tiger staring at the cows and deer.

10. Rajang-GOAT

Rajang-GOAT Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking that that is what is meant by a predator-prey setup?

Last edited: 30 Dec 2022
    Kalaw likes this.
  11. twilighter

I am pretty sure you can count Rimba :)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thraupidae only!

January 1st, yes.

And I hope you do embrace it!

Nice catch there, that was a typo. Should be a total of TWO species that are extinct in the wild.

Capybara are in the cavy family :) Mara also count as cavies.

@Rajang-GOAT is correct here. I do mean the Hagenbeck-style where predator and prey species are displayed side-by-side where they are intentionally able to view and, maybe sometimes in a limited sense, interact with one another. The Leipzig display I'll also allow on the grounds of the Cheetah-Patas Monkey. I would prefer if we didn't use shark reef displays. I would also lean towards no on the peccaries at Burgers :p

I'm not expecting this one to be too much of a challenge, but do correct me if I'm wrong!

~Thylo

13. Ursus

If not I'll count the Manatee pool fishes in the Mangrove :p
    Cichlids in overpopulation with gars added purely to snack on them!

14. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

Now that's a list, looking forward to participating in my first global challenge :) Have a great 2023 everyone!

15. ThylacineAlive

Official decree: Banteng and Gaur will be countable for everyone regardless of where you are. Two-time Champion @twilighter has spoken :p :D

~Thylo

16. ThylacineAlive

Hmm I'm a little torn on this. For one, there is a reason the rule exists. These games have had issues with people choosing to be extremely vague in their reporting. On the other hand, you're correct in that it's a bit of a daunting task here, and entirely unnecessary really in the challenges where the select animals you're targeting are already listed out for you.

I think if people preferred we could relax on the rules here for this one, but only where it really is clear. For lesser known species (I would argue including the death adder in your example even) and for any fishes and inverts some may choose to include, please add the scientific name still. The exception being for challenges like Embrace the ABCs or Usborne where the species are already chosen for you.

If we're doing this, though, I'm not going to hold myself or @ZooBinh to having to work extra hard to police everyone. If anyone clearly is adding species ambiguously and ignores a warning, we're likely going to just stop tracking your score as opposed to continuously egging on about it. I trust everyone here, though, to know well enough when something needs more clarity!

~Thylo

17. Ursus

Is each of these animals/champion a seperate challenge or do you need all of these in order to complete the challenge?

18. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One other clarification regarding a challenge. I know during the North American Mammals challenge, Central America was not considered part of North America, even though geographically it is part of the continent. For this passerine challenge, can Central American species Count or does the species need to be native to Mexico, USA, and/or Canda?

19. twilighter

:p:p:p

20. ThylacineAlive

To fully complete the challenge it would need to be all, but as many as you can still suffices. If you get 10/11 done, but everyone else only got 8, you still win the challenge.

~Thylo

Ursus likes this.