Join our zoo community

ZooChat Challenge UK 2012

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by Shorts, 14 Jan 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been toying with this for a while, not sure if it's too silly, but here goes....

Currently the UK holds all 8 species of Bear for the first time in a while. Given the age of Dudley's Inca this "golden era" might not last too long.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet to those lucky enough to have the time, resources and obsessive behaviour (that's not a judgement:)) to challenge them to be the first to see all 8 species in 2012. No prize will be awarded but I'm sure you'll have earned the respect of myself and others and, I'm sure, a warm sense of pride in your achievement. You'll also get to visit some of the best zoos in the UK which is no hardship.

For clarification, rules are as follows:

1. You have to actually see the animal, even if just for a second. You don't score if you visit a collection but don't see the animal (harsh, but fair);
    2. Proof via photographs is not required, your word is your bond;
    3. You have to see the animal during normal public opening hours (i.e. no scoring because you know the keeper and can get access before/after hours);
    4. Heythrop doesn't count for this challenge. Controversial I know, but see previous point and I didn't think it fair to include the approximately two days it's open to the public as this would logistically disadvantage a large number of people. Besides, by not including it, this makes the challenge more geographically even/fair (my challenge, my rules);
    5. Report/update your progress on this thread as you go along;
    6. If no-one gets to see all 8 species by 31/12/12 the winner will be deemed to be the person(s) who's seen the most at that date.

Get your atlases out and Satnavs set, go!

P.S. When was the last time we had all 8 species on public display in the UK?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

perhaps the thread could be kick-started with some predictions of which Zoochatter(s) will succeed in the challenge? Whoever guesses which member will be the first to see all eight species wins a private screening of The Golden Compass [but only if you hire out the DVD and watch it on your own tv]

(I won't make any predictions, being a rank outsider of the Golden Land of Bears, but I have a fair idea of who are in the top running :D)

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Right a quick question do we have to get all sub-species of Brown bear in the UK,because if so I'm planning my trip to Dartmoor now?

Yet another quick question can I count Bear species that I see on my travels outside the UK?

Well just to start the Ball Rolling I have already seen one species as i have now seen the male Spectacled bear at Chester twice this year,by the end of this month I should be on 3 species!!!!

Last edited: 14 Jan 2012
  4. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

During the 1980s all eight species would have been on display:-

• giant panda (London)
    • spectacled bear (Whipsnade)
    • sloth bear (originally at Chessington - sent to London in 1981)
    • sun bear (Bristol)
    • Asiatic black bear (London and elsewhere)
    • North American black bear (London and elsewhere)
    • brown bear (London and elsewhere)
    • polar bear (London and elsewhere)

Incidentally, I believe there was a time in the late 1950s / early 1960s that all species would have been on display at London Zoo.

5. Shorts

At the risk of sounding like a school teacher, "read the question" (8 species):p You know I (generally) don't do sub-species. If you want to roll in sub-species for your own satisfaction that's fine, but it's not the challenge (which is 8 species, sub-species not important).

Per the thread title, it's a UK challenge (i.e. the Bears have to be seen in the UK). If not, and if you were that competitive, you'd be able to fly to Berlin for a long weekend and win (which would might be cheaper than the petrol involved to see them all in the UK).

There's always one:D

6. Shorts

Thanks Tim, I would have put money on you being the one to answer my question.:)

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think there probably was too- Polar, Brown, American & Himalayan on the Mappin Terraces, with Spectacled, Sun (& Sloth?) in the semi-circular enclosure near the Clock tower/Camel House + ChiChi.

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm pretty sure I won't get Polar Bear or American Black Bear, but being as I have seen 2 bear species already in the past 14 days, I might be able to get the rest ;)

Giant Panda - 09/01/2012
    Sun Bear - 09/01/2012

Being as I got the species most likely to leave the UK before the year is out - this being Inca the Asian Black - just before the New Year, I suggest we use that as a tie-breaker if the challenge ends prematurely :D

9. Tim May

That’s exactly what I was thinking; I definitely saw those species in the enclosures you mention on numerous occasions in the late 1950s / early 1960s.

However, after all these years (and I was only a very small child at the time), I am not certain that I ever saw them all on one visit – although I think that there was a time when they were all on show simultaneously.

And, of course, there were also the Kodiak bears in the old Lubetkin Gorilla House around this era.

10. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Doesn't need to end the challenge, obviously competitors must factor that into their planning, they were here at the start. I'm really enjoying the image of a small obsession of Zoochatters (by Easter probably) elbowing their way to the front of an enclosure somewhere all trying to get their species no. 8.

11. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good little challenge. Doubt I will be able to get the full set but hopefully I will get to see some of them this year. A list of the species and where they can be seen might be useful if someone has the time to make one.

12. TeaLovingDave

American black bear (Ursus americanus)

Woburn Safari Park

Asiatic Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus)

Dudley Zoo

European Brown Bear (Ursus arctos)

Whipsnade Wild Animal Park
    Dartmoor Zoological Park
    Blair Drummond Safari Park
    Welsh Mountain Zoo

Giant Panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca)

Edinburgh Zoo

Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus)

Highland Wildlife Park

Spectacled Bear (Tremarctos ornatus)

Chester Zoo
    South Lakes Wild Animal Park
    Belfast Zoo

Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus)

Whipsnade Wild Animal Park

Sun Bear (Helarctos malayanus)

Edinburgh Zoo
    Belfast Zoo
    Colchester Zoo

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I cannot remember seeing all of them at any one time either, I only remember the Spectacled bears in the semi-circular enclosure but I know there were other species in with them too.

I remember 5 species simultaneously on exhibit during the 1960's on the Bear terrace at Bristol though- Polar, Brown, and (mixed together) Sun, Sloth & Himalayan.

14. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Thanks for the list Dave. From what I have worked out the fewest number of zoos you could visit would be 6 but you would still have to cover a good few miles.

15. TeaLovingDave

And you would require your own transport, as I believe the American Black Bear at Woburn is in the safari part of the collection, and Woburn do not provide transport for that area unless you have paid for a VIP tour.

Having your own transport would be handy for getting to the Polar Bears up at HWP too, as it is pretty remote otherwise.

16. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a car, doing this challenge on public transport would cost an absolute fortune!

17. Shorts

If that's the enclosure I think, it would have been a little cramped!

18. Shorts

That really should be the official collective term.:D

19. Shorts

There's also Brown Bears at Camperdown and, possibly, Five Sisters by the end of the year. There's a lot of Bears in Northern Britain.

20. Tim May

I'm referring to the Round House, near the Clore Pavilion, that was subsequently used for chimps, orang-utans, koala, aye-aye.......

Yes, it was a little cramped for Kodiak bears - but then this building was even once used for temporary elephant accommodation......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.