Join our zoo community

ZooChat Challenge UK 2013

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by Shorts, 31 Dec 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Fanfare stage left.....

OK here's the 2013 challenge for all those lucky enough to have the time and resources and crazy/driven enough (not a judgement) to be inspired to join in.

After much thought I've decided to throw down the gauntlet as to who can see the most cat species in the UK in a year (note free ranging domestics don't count).

I thought this would be an interesting challenge as it ultimately doesn't give a geographical advantage to anyone in particular -whilst living in Kent will give some a good start it's likely they're going to have to travel quite a bit (and Kent's a long way from a lot of places) to "mop up" the non-Kent species. There's also an interesting (frustrating?) random factor in that cats can be a little elusive and a trip to a collection with a species in it doesn't always yield a viewing of that species. Finally it's also possible that someone could win, given the above factors, without necessarily seeing every cat species theoretically viewable in the UK. Hopefully all of the above will result in a challenge "with legs" that will keep people interesting for a good part of 2013.

I'm keeping the challenge to a species level as I don't want to get bogged down in the quagmire of debating validity of sub-species and/or genetic purity of specific animals (so a tiger is a tiger is a tiger for purposes of the challenge). Frankly including all sub-species of Leopard and Tiger alone would start to make things a little cumbersome (and may take some fun out of the challenge).

For clarification, rules are as follows:

1. You have to actually see the animal, even if just for a second. You don't score if you visit a collection but don't see the animal (harsh, but fair);
    2. Proof via photographs is not required, your word is your bond;
    3. You have to see the animal via normal public access (i.e. not including zookeeper for the day or photography days behind the scenes) during normal public opening hours (i.e. no scoring because you know the keeper and can get access before/after hours). Basically the species has to be seen as Joe Public would;
    4. Any limited opening or private collections (e.g. Heythrop, RSCC, WHF, and any similar collections or refuges) don't count for this challenge. Controversial I know, but see previous point and I didn't think it fair to include a handful of days these collections might be open to the public as this might logistically disadvantage a large number of people;
    5. Report/update your progress on this thread as you go along (let's say mandatory reporting from seven species and above);
    6. If no-one gets to see all (currently 24 by my count) species potentially seeable by 31/12/13 the winner will be deemed to be the person(s) who's seen the most at that date;
    7. My (final) decision is final but I'm open to discussion and debate on any specific points.

Right, do your Zootierliste research, get your atlases out and Satnavs set, go*!!

*from 1/1/13 obviously, no jumping the gun.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I shall once again enjoy this vicariously.

One question, just in case. For rule number three, if one is a zookeeper then one has to view said cat from the public side of a cage to make it count yes?

And also, has there been a photo posted of the trophy from last year's challenge??

3. Shorts

There's always one (sigh). Indeed, they'd have to view cat from public position during public hours.

Unfortunately the trophy has yet to be passed on due to SMR being ill over Christmas (get well soon if you're reading) and I very embarrassingly don't know how to upload photos:eek:. I'm sure he'll upload a photo once he's received. Don't get too excited, you could fit it in your pocket (though it would be very uncomfortable to sit on).

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I like it I think I could have fun doing this one,but I'm,not going out of my way to win it!!

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think this is an excellent challenge and probably if anything more inclusive than last years, since almost every zoo visit will play a part and ( perhaps with the noted exception of kent) it doesn't heavily advantage those living in a particular area of the UK.
    I enjoyed following last years, but since i knew Scotland was never on the agenda for me i had no chance.
    If someone has a weekend in kent at howletts,PL & Wingham, they'll take some beating- i'm sure someone has booked theirs today , if they hadn't already.
    Incidentally, if anyone wants a zootierliste breakdown of cat species, there is a fairly accurate one on the London 2012 thread.

6. Shorts

Ha, ha. That's the fiendish beauty of this year's challenge, a number of regular/reasonably well travelled zoo visitors (yourself included I'd imagine) will find themselves in the running without really trying (and then people's competitive nature will kick in:)).

7. Shorts

Arguably, but there's a good number of species you can't find in Kent (and there's no guarantee of seeing a species on a single visit:)).

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Couldn't agree more! I haven't seen several of the smaller species on my visits to Howletts and Port Lympne and ive never seen the clouded leopards at Linton in 5 or 6 attempts!

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent - I'll have fun with this one ;)

I'll hopefully get a decent head-start with the south-west zoos I will be doing next month, weather permitting.

By the by, the backup challenge I had been planning for my own amusement, and anyone else who decided to join me, transpires to have been pretty much the same as this one, but with a bonus point given to anyone completing the Asiatic Golden Cat ssp set by seeing one at Belfast, Edinburgh and Thrigby, a bonus point given to anyone completing the Pathera and Neofelis set, and a bonus point given to anyone completing the Leopardus set as far as UK collections allow (ie getting Margay, Ocelot, Geoffroy's Cat and Oncilla). The reason for these were to a) encourage wider travel than just sticking to Kent and b) give anyone without access to Kent a little more of a chance.

10. Shorts

Nice idea (and glad you like the challenge), but I'll keep it simple for the "official" challenge on the basis:

1. Anyone who can afford to fulfill some of those challenges (travel to Belfast, Edinburgh, Thrigby:eek:) should be easily able to get to Kent;
    2. I think there's enough potential for travel already. Off the top of my head I can only think of Black-footed Cats that can't be seen outside of Kent and there's still a fair bit of travel needed, even for Kent-based peoples, to see Oncilla, Asiatic Golden Cat and Jaguarundi.

From a personal perspective I'd be interested in seeing the three ssp of Asiatic Golden Cats to compare and contrast but I wouldn't travel just for that purpose as, Thrigby Hall specimen aside, they've never been very showy for me.

11. TeaLovingDave

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you incorporate my bonuses :p just noting the similarity in our ideas. One other species that cannot be seen outside Kent - at least at the moment - is Rusty-spotted Cat, as the Hamerton animals haven't as yet gone onshow.

As far as the relative showiness of Golden Cats goes, the new male at Edinburgh, which is ex-Rotterdam, is exceptionally showy.

12. Standpitpony

Standpitpony Well-Known Member

Hi,

Does this count as Lion or African Lion,Barbary lion,Asian Lion etc

Challenge sounds fun though!

Standpitpony

Last edited: 31 Dec 2012
  13. TeaLovingDave

As the rules state, all of those would count as a single Lion tick - no subspecies. See below.

14. Standpitpony

Standpitpony Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think I there's a new years resolution in itself...:rolleyes:

15. Shorts

Exmoor "had" them when I visited in July (i.e. enclosure labelled, but I didn't see, also mentioned on their website).

I would hope Hamerton's come on display soon as there has been an "activity/completion spurt" there recently -then again, given past experience you wouldn't gamble on it necessarily happening within the year.

16. TeaLovingDave

Very interesting, considering the fact I'm going to Exmoor in a month - I know that they sent their jaguarundi to RSCC for breeding loan last summer, so it is possible they did the same with the rusties. I hope not though, as if I see rusty spotted cat there I potentially will get 3 cat lifeticks - the other two being caracal and puma.

17. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, this is the first year i haven't been to Kent in January for my zoo visits since 2009, and i wasn't planning on going there until 2014. Oh well guess i'll have to try without visiting Kent.

18. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope Shorts doesn't mind me mentioning this, but I came up with a challenge I'm setting myself whilst I was walking through town and thought I'd mention it if anybody fancies an unofficial pop at it themselves: Columbidae.

There is travel involved and its quite nice to have a non-mammal challenge [my other idea was dart frogs, but I decided to go with Columbidae as I was interested to see what sort of start Chester would give me for the order]. I'm not setting any rules, and subspecies for me count, so basically if I see a pigeon or dove etc anywhere, it counts.

A few wild plus a visit to Chester today has put me on 16:

Wild
    Feral pigeon (Columba livia f. feral)
    Common wood pigeon (Columba palumbus)
    Eurasian collared dove (Streptopelia decaocto)

Chester
    Mindanao bleeding-heart dove (Gallicolumba crinigera)
    Luzon bleeding-heart dove (Gallicolumba luzonica)
    Socorro dove (Zenaida graysoni)
    Green-naped pheasant pigeon (Otidiphaps nobilis nobilis)
    White-naped pheasant pigeon (Otidiphaps nobilis aruensis)
    Victoria crowned pigeon (Goura victoria)
    Common emerald dove (Chalcophaps indica)
    Nicobar pigeon (Caloenas nicobarica)
    Pied Imperial pigeon (Ducula bicolor)
    Black-naped fruit dove (Ptilinopus melanospilus)
    Superb fruit dove (Ptilinopus superbus)
    Golden-heart dove (Gallicolumba rufigula)
    Rock dove (Columba livia)

Sorry for treading on toes if I have, that's not the intention, and I will be having a go at the cat challenge as well :)

19. Shorts

No problems here, provided people remember mine is the "official" challenge:).

To be honest I have thought about non-mammal challenges this year and for the future but was left scratching my head -it always ended up with too many or too few places to visit (in my opinion). I'm off to research yours now out of interest/intrigue. Have you worked out the number of potential species/sub-species and the lowest number of places (to visit) to achieve it yet?

20. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

But of course :) - like I say, this started out as a general interest of 'how many species of pigeon/dove do Chester keep?' - and then I thought about how many are about and where would I have to travel and the whole thing actually began to interest me as an 'unofficial challenge' [of which I've set a few, but the others are more along the lines of see X number of life ticks, or visit X number of zoos - traveling for the other challenges picks up enough to complete these by default though :p]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.