Join our zoo community

ZooChat Challenge UK 2017

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by Shorts, 29 Dec 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

And I have edited the list above to take this into account :)

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agree on the hippos, great enclosure and was amazed to see them both locked out all day and just wallowing half submerged in the mud.!

3. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hadn’t posted on this because I never thought I’d manage anything near a significant number, but I managed to hit double figures (counting for this challenge) a couple of weeks ago with a field trip to Shaldon. So, just to mess with TLD’s totals:
    1. Colchester (3/1)
    2. London (4/1)
    3. Bristol (Unknown/1)*
    4. Slimbridge WWT (15/2)
    5. Banham (18/4)
    6. Newquay (13/7)
    7. Paignton (18/7)
    8. Chester (21/8)
    9. Jersey (6/9)
    10. Shaldon (4/12)
    *I made multiple visits but didn’t note the date of the first of the year.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Easily remedied :p

ZERO VISITS - Brighton Aquarium, Belfast, Isle Of Wight Zoo , Curraghs, Skegness Natureland

ONE VISIT - Jersey, Edinburgh, Drusillas, Chessington, National Seal Sanctuary, Bentley Wildfowl, Hawk Conservancy, Newent, Linton

TWO VISITS - Slimbridge, Beale Park, Welsh Mountain Zoo, Birdworld, Camperdown, Suffolk, Banham, Flamingoland, Newquay

THREE VISITS - Shaldon, Colchester, Dudley, Paradise Wildlife Park

FOUR VISITS - Paignton, Battersea Children's Zoo, Bristol, Birdland

FIVE VISITS - Whipsnade, Twycross

SIX VISITS - London

SEVEN VISITS - Chester

5. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've only managed 3 on the list, I was hoping to make Camperdown my 4th but I think time has got the better of me, anyway my list is:

Edinburgh - Numerous visits throughout the year
    Chester - 14/02/17
    London - 23/10/17

6. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've thoroughly enjoyed this years challenge, as it meant that I visited 9 new collections (these being Paradise Wildlife Park, WWT Slimbridge, ICBP Newent, Bird Land, Bird World, Beale Park, Hawk Conservancy, Camperdown Wildlife Centre and Battersea Children's Zoo). My favourite of the new collections was Slimbridge, which I absolutely loved it and I am hoping to visit again in the future. As this year was a zoo history challenge, I did try look at the oldest house or enclosure at the zoos I visited, for example the former anteater house at Chester Zoo (which now holds Dusky Pademelon) or the Tropical House at Slimbridge.
    Thank you very much to Shorts for creating this years challenge as it has been very fun and although I wasn't able to catch up with pipaluk in the end, it was fun trying :) I very much look forward to next years challenge!

pipaluk likes this.
  7. pipaluk

Agree with you MagpieGoose, I've found it interesting because it's encouraged me to visit zoos I've never been to ( or heard of!) before.
    It's not over for you yet either, I'd planned to go to Chessington Boxing Day as I did last year, but it's shut! No chance of me adding any more unless I make it there New Years Eve!

8. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm afraid to say I've finished for the year with my visit to Dudley being the last of 2017. I did plan to visit Chessington over the Christmas holidays but they've now been pushed back to some point in 2018.

9. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thank you Shorts for another fun challenge :) it was fun getting to the few zoos I managed, and for getting me out to Battersea Park zoo, a new one for me and a rather nice little place to have visited (I wonder if it has received so many visits from Chatters in a single year before?), and a first visit to Colchester :) . Unfortunately, other things took over this year (new jobs and moving), and with the travelling involved I knew I wasn't going to get to too many places. There's still a few days of the year left though, so maybe chance for one more

Looking forward to the next challenge :D

10. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Assuming no mad (lets say insane) dashes by Magpie Goose tomorrow it looks like Pipaluk's this year's winner (PM me the address and I'll sort the trophy out).

Thanks to all those that have played this year and all those who have followed and/or posted on the thread.

2018's challenge will be posted shortly............

Brum, Crowthorne and MagpieGoose like this.
  11. pipaluk

I didn't want to reply until I'd definitely won, (given that having 'won ' the cat challenge by July the other year, victory was snatched away when Hamerton acquired Canadian Lynx!).
    Just wanted to say thanks again to Shorts for setting the challenge and encouraging me to visit 8 new collections and thanks to everyone else who took part, particularly MagpieGoose, who probably travelled a lot more miles than me to compete.
    I'll be off to start on the 2018 challenge later.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2018
    Brum, Fresco3 and MagpieGoose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.