Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Aquarium Edition Grand Finals: Shedd Aquarium vs Georgia Aquarium

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by ZooBinh, 3 Oct 2018.

?

Saltwater Fish

Poll closed 7 Oct 2018.
  1. Georgia Aquarium

50.0%
  2. Shedd Aquarium

50.0%
  1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Going out with a big splash! The world's largest aquarium is going against the largest species collection in the world. We have the largest individual aquarium with whale sharks and manta rays in the Georgia Aquarium, along with other fish along the aquarium, which include fish from many habitats, coral reefs, open oceans, and everywhere in between. Shedd Aquarium has more rare species of fish, which live in many aquariums in many areas such as Wild Reef, Waters of the World, and the Pritzker Caribbean Reef. Who will be the final winner of the aquarium cup!

*This vote will be 4 days long so the voting opportunity will be longer.

2. ZooBinh

Can we have one more person vote to break the tie? Just respond to the thread.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

C’mon @snowleopard. :)

snowleopard and ZooBinh like this.
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

No worries mate. My vote goes towards Shedd Aquarium as with approximately 1,500 species at the facility (more than any zoological establishment on Earth other than perhaps Berlin Zoo) and a high quality set of exhibits, Shedd maintains its 1930 facade with modern interior habitats. A simply brilliant, iconic, world-class aquarium.

CGSwans and ZooBinh like this.
  5. ZooBinh

You heard it folks! The grand winner of the aquarium cup is the Shedd Aquarium! If you're looking for more fun, @CGSwans is working on another cup, and it will be soon!

Jambo likes this.
  6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, if one of us can vote late, why not more? My vote goes towards the Georgia Aquarium. The truly magnificent, 6.3 million gallon tank for America’s only whale sharks and manta rays is almost enough on its own to claim the victory on its own, but the impressive coral reef tank, amongst others, makes it an easy win.

ThylacineAlive and ShonenJake13 like this.
  7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It is kind of like if there was a world football tournament and after the whistle blew on the final game the score was tied, so the referee just goes "meh, someone kick the ball through the goal and we'll just say that team won..."

Jambo, jayjds2, ZooBinh and 4 others like this.
  8. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was going to say the same thing, and I too would vote for Georgia. The Ocean Voyager tank is simply incredible, and the rest of the aquarium is pretty great too. Shedd is an awesome aquarium, and if all goes to plan I'll be revisiting in late November, but it just can't stack up to Whale Sharks and Manta Rays.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

By the cup's own rulebook, shouldn't the a tie-breaker match be held using a different category?

~Thylo

jayjds2 and pachyderm pro like this.
  10. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, this method has been used during the past competitions and I do not see why it should be altered.

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I would have no problem with a separate, tie-breaker match as I only responded to this thread because I was tagged in a post and in fact I've barely followed this Aquarium Cup. I would also have no problem with Georgia Aquarium winning as that facility is amazing and a clear candidate for one of the world's truly great aquariums.

In the USA there is Monterey Bay Aquarium with its ocean backdrop and with an incredible focus almost entirely on a single part of the world's waters - an awesome aquarium! Then there is Shedd, with its 1,500 species and top-notch, modern exhibits all set in a 1930 facade...even with a terrible sea lion enclosure. Georgia Aquarium has the Ocean Voyager tank, one of the most splendid zoo exhibits that I've ever seen, but also a mall-like setting that not everyone adores. I actually just emailed someone this morning and I stated that "as soon as Georgia Aquarium opens its big shark tank complex in 2020 then it will clearly be the #1 aquarium in the USA if not the world. Until then, I will stick with Shedd for a couple more years and then I feel as if Georgia will blow by it."

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  12. ZooBinh

The thing is, I felt embarrassed ending up with a tie on the finals, so I just asked for 1 final vote....maybe that wasn't the smartest idea?

13. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Should have just had a tie-breaker match like a normal round...

~Thylo

pachyderm pro and ZooBinh like this.
  14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Guys, ZooBinh has worked hard on this for months with little recognition. It seems passing strange for people not to participate in a match and then, once it’s over, take issue with how he decided to handle it.

Thanks ZB for all your work and persistence. A worldwide model was always going to be hard, let alone an aquarium one. I reckon you’ve done a standout job.

15. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agreed. Well done and good on ya @ZooBinh

ZooBinh likes this.
  16. ZooBinh

Thank you very much. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that those who pointed that out are mean and wrong, since they have a good point there, but I have worked during hard times on this, so this was just my way of handling it since I didn't want to have a rematch on the grand-finals, think of it as overtime...

CGSwans and Jambo like this.