Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup finals: Beauval vs Chester

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 20 Jan 2020.

?

Beauval vs Chester

Poll closed 22 Jan 2020.
  1. Beauval 3-0 Chester

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beauval 2-1 Chester

58.1%
  3. Chester 2-1 Beauval

41.9%
  4. Chester 3-0 Beauval

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’m not going to lie. I thought Beauval would be a strong contender in this final group, but as things stand it’s dead last. Maybe Grasslands and Deserts can save its campaign?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Pretty easy one for Chester in my opinion, I'm afraid!

I'll go 2-1 Chester for now, to allow for any arguments made in favour of Beauval, but I reserve the right to promote it to 3-0 anon :p

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wouldn't think it is that easy given the extensive Cheetah, Lion, African elephant and the many ungulate enclosures in Beauval.

amur leopard and nczoofan like this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

Of which Chester has excellent and extensive examples of the first and last of these, and - I feel - what will develop into an excellent example of the second once the vegetation in the very new exhibit takes hold. I'd argue the Asian Elephant exhibit is also excellent, but this one is much more borderline in terms of the category limits so I'll have to think about that one.

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

OK, since I have been to both zoos, I will give my opinion on this one.

Firstly, Beauval is probably one of the best zoos in the continent on this one. This category includes almost the whole zoo.
    It has around 10 fantastic exhibits for African ungulates scattered around the zoo for Lesser kudu, Mountain bongo, Somali wild ass, Sable antelope, Nyala, Red river hog, Hippopotami (more on that exhibit in a sec), Blue wildebeest, Springbok, Reticulated giraffe, Grevy's zebra, Beisa oryx.

There is also the exhibit for takins in the Chinese area and the big cat enclosures.

There is also the fantastic plains exhibit for Asiatic hoofstock, sized at over 17000 m2. Only a small part of it is covered by the walkway, allowing the animals in question privacy. Species exhibited include Greater one-horned rhinoceroses, Blackbucks, Malayan tapirs and many others.

There is also the Australian greenhouse which is mostly grassland themed. It shows animals like Koalas, woylies and many species of bird in large and well-landscaped exhibits.

Then, the jewels in the crown. First come the immense and well thought through elephant exhibits. There is a sandy exhibit and a grassy exhibit, representing both ecosystems in this tie. The sandy exhibit is over 6000 m2 in area and the grassy plains area is over 18,600 m2 in area. This makes the elephant exhibit a total of over 24,600 m2 in area. For comparison, Chester's elephant exhibit is 9000 m2 in area including the elephant house.
    Then comes the hippopotamus exhibit. This exhibit is merged with conjoined exhibits for nyala and red river hog, all under one massive aviary with vultures, multiple species of stork and ibis and many species of duck. The hippo pool is massive and the clear water allows to for viewing into the hippos' underwater behaviours. They also have a massive landscaped land area. The nyala have natural barriers between them and the hippos, meaning that the enclosure is reminiscent of the savanna in with all of these species dwell. There is also viewing from the restaurant right next to the hippos.
    Then there is the cheetah exhibit. Built in the last 3 years, this exhibit is very large and spacious, around as large as the lion exhibit, perhaps larger. It has a single viewing walkway, providing a panoramic view across the whole exhibit. They also have a large pool and a couple of streams.

Lastly, Beauval also has a massive lion exhibit (all precise areas are given below, around twice the size as the majority of lion exhibits in North America. It has a large viewing walkway down the middle built entirely out of wood which the lions can climb on top of and interact with. In this way, the visitors can view in the lions to their sides and above them. Near to the lions there are also spaciouys exhibits for wild dogs (thinking of you @Brum :D), meerkats and naked mole rats.

Inside the elephant house there are also exhibits for elephant shrews.

The gigantic asiatic plains exhibit:
    asiatic plain exhibit.PNG

The somali wild ass exhibit:
    ass.PNG

The bongo exhibit:
    bongo.PNG

The first and second interconnected elephant exhibits:
    elephant 1.PNG
    elephant 2.PNG

The immense lion exhibit (for reference the majority of North American lion enclosures are just over 2000m2)

lion.PNG

The savanna exhibit:
    savanna.PNG

And finally the takin exhibit:
    takin.PNG

I am certainly voting 2-1 to Beauval. Might post about Chester later, but I do think that Beauval represents this ecosystem a lot better given that lots of the zoo is essentially centered around it (i.e the entire top half of it and the entire South Western bit)

6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Takin are forest/mountain species and Hippo are pretty much aquatics, but for the rest thank you for the overview.

amur leopard likes this.
  7. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I feel there’s a case to be made for Chester that is yet to be made. Who wants to go?

8. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

This is a bummer draw for Chester. And although the i personally found them comparable, Beauval has the edge for me as most of their displays are newer and vast huge enclosures, so with a heavy heart, it is a 2:1 for Beauval.

amur leopard likes this.
  9. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think your interpretation of the category is rather broad. Bongo, Red River Hog, Koala and Takin are mostly forest animals, while hippos and ducks would fit better in the aquatics category. I know the boundaries are fuzzy and some of the species occur along ecosystem borders, so I won't say you're wrong, just pointing out that your interpretation is much broader than mine.

Didn't that zoo have something special for some kind of African pachyderm? :p

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  10. amur leopard

I know species lists are not taken into account as much as they were in previous rounds but Beauval has 46 species in this category compared to Chester's 26. That combined with the fact that Beauval evokes the grasslands biome much better than Chester in completeness in my opinion should give them the win, even without the fantastic enclosures that Beauval has for its 46 species.

11. TeaLovingDave

I reckon I can have a crack at it :p

A *bit* of an exaggeration - even if one omits birds and reptiles, and count only mammals, I get a total of 29 species at Chester and 35 species at Beauval :p and of course, if one includes birds and so forth the count for Chester will be even higher than you claimed.

nczoofan likes this.
  12. TeaLovingDave

First things first, as already alluded by @HOMIN96 - the fact that Chester has the best exhibit complex in Europe (possibly the world) for Black Rhinoceros cannot be overlooked. My previous post on this topic follows:

Ursus likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

The other exhibits dotted around the zoo for African hoofstock resident to grasslands are also excellent; note that I personally don't count the Mountain Bongo or Okapi within this category, and the image of these exhibits in map form is included only for quotation consistency:

14. TeaLovingDave

As regards other African grassland and desert species, the following need highlighting:

15. TeaLovingDave

As regards South American grassland species:

16. TeaLovingDave

And now a handful of Asian grassland and/or desert species, starting with one which I have already written:

Persian Onager and Bactrian Camel

A spacious and rather pleasant paddock containing a sizable and regularly-breeding group of Persian Onager, along with Bactrian Camel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

onag.PNG

Indian Rhinoceros and Myanmar Thamin

Precious few photographs of this rather pleasant mixed exhibit in the gallery, with the nearly Eastern Black Rhinoceros exhibit complex rather overshadowing it - however, it is large and spacious (covering around 7,740 m²) with offshow indoor housing and a secondary paddock allowing the inhabitants to be separated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

indrh.PNG

Still mulling over whether or not to count the (excellent) Asian Elephant exhibit under this category......

However, to sum up I would argue that given the fact that Chester represents grassland/desert biomes in three distinct continents, rather than largely the one continent, and their highlight exhibit for this biome (the complex for Eastern Black Rhinoceros) is just THAT GOOD and (more importantly) represents both significant in-situ and ex-situ conservation work for a species which they have been instrumental in, Chester really does deserve the win here.

I will, however, acknowledge that it is bloody close and that yet again I'd love to be able to spread my vote evenly ;) but I'll settle for hopefully convincing enough people to switch vote that the overall score ends up more even than it currently is, whichever collection actually wins this match.

Ursus and CGSwans like this.
  17. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did I say that? I think you got your Zoochatters wrong this time Dave :p :D

18. amur leopard

No? Do you want me to post my species lists?

Beauval also is contributing to far far more conservation efforts than Chester, notably:
    Bearded vultures in France and Spain: They reintroduce them into the Alps, having reintroduced over 140 vultures ever since the foundation began. They started a new project for reintroduction in Andulasia. They are also working to establish corridors through France by which the vultures can travel through France and into the Balkans.
    South Africa - Southern ground hornbill: They provide constant population records, allowing IUCN and other wildlife organisations to track their fall and decline in South Africa. They also visit South African schools to teach them about the hornbills through colourings, talks and assemblies.
    Kenya - African elephant: They pay for many rangers to be trained and paid to work in a large area of savanna to counteract poaching. They also pay for vehicles, radio collars and other essential equipment. They work to keep a corridor between two populations of the elephants open so as to widen the genetic pool in the now fragmented range of the elephants.
    Senegal - Giant eland: they work to hold up the good work of African countries to save this species and try to make it known. They lead conservation initiatives to find out more about the antelopes in situ whilst making records on giraffes, hippos and zebras.
    Namibia - Giraffe: They collect DNA strands from giraffes to help with genetic variation. They also collect records of the Namibian population of giraffes to help the IUCN with its records and to determine their status in the wild. They also finally organise the conservation efforts in situ which take care of the local fauna.
    Morocco - Barbary macaque: They study human-macaque interactions and whether the macaques can coexist with humans in an increasingly urbanised world along with keeping close records of the populations to keep them stable and rising.
    Senegal - African lions: They buy PoacherCams in regions of Africa for use in preventing illegal poaching and stopping the trade in lion parts. They also patrol the areas and try to forsee poaching attacks on animals before they happen to lessen the damage done.
    All around Africa - Black and white rhinos: They fund patrols around areas where rhinos are known to congregate/live. They also fundraise in France and go around local towns to tell them about the importance of the rhinos.
    Djibouti - PICODE: This is an initiative heavily supported by Beauval which is working to increase the area of protected wild land in Djibouti. This allows species like Klipspringers, dik-diks and Gerenuks to live safely in protected areas.
    Giant armadillo: Beauval works with the RZSS to radio collar and tag armadillos in order to learn as much as they can about them. They track their diets, ranges, movement and place camera traps to record behaviour. They also study how the species comes into contact with humans.
    South American tapir: They study the health of the local tapirs in Brazil and are trying to create a protected area for the animals to replenish their dwindling numbers.
    Giant anteater: Works to study why the anteaters venture onto roads in the Cerrado and tries to therefore limit the number of roadkills taking place by placing limits on speed on the roads. It also radio collars the anteaters to find out more about their behaviour.

In comparison, Chester has nowhere nearly as many conservation in-situ projects.

19. amur leopard

And here are the Beauval exhibits:

In this one, only the nyala and naked mole rat exhibits are applicable for this round.

In conclusion, what Beauval has to offer is at least rivalling and if not better than Chester's exhibits, especially in variety of species - Chester almost exclusively keeps large ungulates, while Beauval has species in lots of different orders.
    Furthermore, I would argue that Beauval represents this biome better and its enclosures are all lusher and more inviting for the animals.

20. TeaLovingDave

Don't think that will be necessary - the discrepancy can probably be covered by you inadvertently miscounting for Chester, and (as people have noted above) counting dubiously valid species such as colobus, gorilla, bongo and red river hog for Beauval.

On my phone right now so writing a full list is awkward, but in terms of Chester's in-situ programmes which seem to have a bearing on the category I can see:

7 projects in Africa.
    2 projects in South Asia.
    5 projects in Latin America.

So that's 14 projects to the 12 at Beauval you listed - and at least one of yours (lammergeier) is most certainly non-category.

If I get onto my laptop before tonight I will list them fully :)

Except for the members of the rodentia, carnivora, xenarthra, macroscelidia and hyracoidea I already highlighted, plus a few other odds and ends I didn't cover due to borderline validity or being single exhibits, to cite only mammals :p hardly "almost exclusively large ungulates". Conversely, not counting large hoofstock you've highlighted rodents, carnivora, primates and marsupials, with the validity of several in the latter two highly debatable.

Perhaps from this evidence presented it's Beauval that almost exclusively keeps large hoofstock? :p ;)

Brum, nczoofan and CGSwans like this.