Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup finals: Bronx vs Wroclaw

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 7 Jan 2020.

?

Bronx vs Wroclaw: tropical forests

Poll closed 9 Jan 2020.
  1. Bronx 3-0 Wroclaw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bronx 2-1 Wroclaw

93.5%
  3. Wroclaw 2-1 Bronx

6.5%
  4. Wroclaw 3-0 Bronx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The topic? Tropical forests.

2. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting match. Wroclaw's main assets are the Congo Rainforest in Africarium and the Madagascar house. Okapi, Clouded leopard and Sumatran tiger enclosures are also very well made. Monkey house is not the best I have seen, but the fact that the first Bear cuscus in Europe was born there is quite respectful. It also housing Black-and-gold howler monkey family, Echidna and the elusive Flying squirrel. I will place my vote for Wroclaw, and am very curious about Bronx.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2020
  3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I think Congo Gorilla Forest will do enough here.

nczoofan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  4. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For Bronx, apart from CGF I think most of JungleWorld and parts of World of Birds and World of Reptiles will count too. That might be enough to go 3-0 Bronx.

nczoofan likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx is home to the 1acre Indonesian-themed JungleWorld building, which includes a ~20,000sqft, ~55ft tall (possibly more because the room dips below ground level at a few points) walkthrough rainforest aviary home to a mix of gibbons, squirrels, flying fox, various birds from storks to passerines, turtles, large fishes, and even a small group of Indian Gharial. This room provides my personal favorite enclosure I've ever seen for gharial, and one of my favorites for crocodiles in general as it includes various pools separated by elevated rocky waterfalls which the gharials routinely climb between. Also housed in the massive building are various small primates, otters, tree-kangaroo, herps, fishes, and invertebrates.

World of Birds features various rainforest-themed enclosures, namely a Southeast Asia aviary, a walkthrough Central African aviary, and a walkthrough Amazon aviary, all three of which span the two-stories of the building. There are also several smaller aviaries present for species such as Maleo, various amazons, various birds-of-paradise, and quetzal/passerines.

Madagascar!'s final room is based on the Masoala, and featuring a very large and tall enclosure for Red Ruffed Lemur, an average-sized enclosure for elderly Fossa, and a small tank for Paratilapia "bleekeri" and Ptychochromis "tarantsy".

Finally there is Congo Gorilla Forest. While Bronx is located in a temperate ecosystem, they utilize the local flora in order to attempt to create fairly forested environments for various species native to the DRC. This attempt has led to the creation of some very lush outdor enclosures for Okapi, Mandrill/Red River Hog, and of course for Western Lowland Gorilla. The exhibit also features indoor rainforest habitats for Wolf's Guenon, various birds, and various herps, fishes, and invertebrates. The conservation message here is also almost unmatched in any zoo exhibit I've seen, and any proceeds given for admission into the exhibit are redistributed directly to the WCS's conservation programs in Central Africa.

~Thylo

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. The Madagascar house is very nice as is the small but expertly done rainforest aviary in the Afrykarium. The zoo's notable breeding programs (which also includes Philippine Chevrotain bts iirc) also deserve some recognition imo. I'll personally be voting 2-1 Bronx.

~Thylo

twilighter, pipaluk and Brum like this.
  7. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, I made my comment before I saw what Wroclaw has in this category. After hearing what they have I’m sticking with my 2-1 vote. That said, Bronx is strong enough that this is a convincing 2-1 and I wouldn’t be surprised if Bronx got a couple 3-0 votes.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  8. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Seems like Bronx is too high bar for Wroclaw, so I will also changed my voice to 2:1 for Bronx. 3:0, looks too harsh, cos still feel, that Tropical forest category is one of the Wroclaw's strong sides.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2020
    pipaluk and ThylacineAlive like this.