Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup finals: Plzen vs Vienna

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 18 Jan 2020.

?

Plzen vs Vienna: Tropical forests

Poll closed 20 Jan 2020.
  1. Plzen 3-0 Vienna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Plzen 2-1 Vienna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Vienna 2-1 Plzen

96.3%
  4. Vienna 3-0 Plzen

3.7%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The topic? Tropical forests.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Tough one. I will have to give this one serious thought.

CGSwans likes this.
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I look forward to the fruits of your deliberations.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Collectionwise Plzen would win it, but as it is about Tropical forests not purely collection, it seems a pretty straightforward win for Vienna as they have a pretty big Rainfores house, which is overall well done (though too much rockwork to my taste), as well as the aforementioned very well done Tropical bird walkthrough. In addition the primates all have appropriate enclosures (though the Ruffed lemurs one is somewhat small outdoors), a good Coati enclosure, a good Peccary enclosure, several large and well-furnished terraria and especially for a nocturnal house spacious enclosures for Cloud rats and Pouched rats.

Plzen doesn't exactly score many points with the Callichthrid house, Lemur housing, Chimpanzee housing, the older part of the Philippine house, Pygmy hippo indoors (outdoors is partly very good) and a mostly post-stamp reptile collection. There are some good parts such as some of the primate islands and the Coati enclosure, but overall too many lows against a consistently good to sometimes excellent opponent.

5. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is one of the Vienna's strongest sides, since one of their newest addition is actually The Rainforest house. Not as pompous as a Masoala or spicies rich as Gondwanaland, but hardly something that Plzen has answer to. The Bird house and Monkey house are also strong additions to Schonbrunn's list. I have seen the Orang.rie in December and it is hard to speculate with its tropical appearance, but is definitely on of the best Great Apes buildings out there.

Plzen has, of course great collection, but I feel, that it's presentation and husbandary can not match Vienna here.

I am not rushing to vote yet, but definitely lean towards Vienna.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2020
  6. TeaLovingDave

This being the main issue in my mind; however....

You are definitely right about some of these, but I definitely disagree on others :p

7. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

Seems to be pretty much a slam-dunk for Vienna, or does anyone want to make a case for Plzen?

8. TeaLovingDave

The main case I'd be making would be for the single point, and other than @Giant Panda everyone is giving Plzen that one point :p

But to expand a little on my remarks above, which I meant to do sooner......

Callichthrid House

This one has been discussed a little previously - I get the impression you have a rather more sour impression of the whole South American complex than do most other people, but personally I think it's really not bad at all.

Madagascar House

I agree with you half-way, but only half-way :p the indoor diurnal exhibits are indeed not great, but the outdoor exhibits and the nocturnal exhibits aren't bad at all.... and per my October 2019 visit, your accusations that some of the outdoor exhibits were going unused and thus exacerbating the indoor crowding were inaccurate.

Chimpanzee Housing

No arguments from me here :p

Philippine House

You highlighted the older portion of this house as a poor point for Plzen, but I'd strongly contest this - especially given the fact that this whole area has recently been refurbished both inside and outside, with some species moved to other areas of the zoo and the general decor being revamped. Moreover, the newer portion of this house, which you completely skated past, is excellent.

Pygmy Hippo Indoors

No arguments from me here either.

A mostly post-stamp reptile collection

Here, I definitely have to disagree with you on both the accusation, and the implied connotation; a large and excellent reptile collection (with island endemic species being a particular highlight) is something quite different from a "post-stamp" collection, and you know it :p I have, of course, argued extensively in favour of Plzen in this regard previously.