Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup finals: Plzen vs Wroclaw (extension)

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 13 Jan 2020.

?

Plzen vs Wroclaw: Grasslands and Deserts

Poll closed 17 Jan 2020.
  1. Plzen 3-0 Wroclaw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Plzen 2-1 Wroclaw

90.9%
  3. Wroclaw 2-1 Plzen

9.1%
  4. Wroclaw 3-0 Plzen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And... let’s dip back into the biome categories for a moment. Grasslands and deserts.

2. CGSwans

I’m not sure if the new sub-forum will make matches less visible, based on how people use the site. There’s a ‘Watch Forum’ button at top right of the list of threads. I recommend doing that so you will get an alert when I post a new match. :)

3. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Plzen is really strong in this category, I will wait for someone to make a case for Wroclaw.

4. Malawi

Malawi Member

Having been to Plzen and Wroclaw (though I have somewhat vague reminiscences of the latter), it seems tight. Both zoos have large savannahs, but while Plzen's is picture perfect, with a line of trees in the background hiding the stables, Wroclaw's looks more like a parking lot.

Both zoos have dedicated desert houses, with Plzen's focused on North American reptiles in great terraria and Wroclaw's showing a range of African, European and Asian herps, mammals, birds and insects. Both houses make a good effort at recreating desert scapes, though there is nothing sand dune-like.

Plzen have their Africa-house, but it is great more for the variety of species, than for depicting the dry regions of Africa. On the other hand, Wroclaw's aardvark enclosure - located in the Afrykarium - is really not good. All in all, a close 2-1 to Plzen for me.

5. CGSwans

Hi all,

I've extended this match by 24 hours because I suspect it's gotten lost a little as we worked out where to put Cup threads.

As with previous extended matches, any votes in this poll will supersede those made in the original one, but if people don't vote again their original votes will count.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I know that @Simon Hampel has now moved the ZooChat Cup into a sub-forum, but that has made a drastic difference in terms of participation in the voting. Up to an hour ago there was only a solitary vote in this contest, compared to the 20+ votes that are usually generated. Perhaps a sub-forum is the 'Bermuda Triangle' of ZooChat? :p

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The votes were reset when the match was extended, it was at 14 earlier today. But I have also noticed a decline in participation in the current round compared to earlier ones.

I didn't have problems with the forum rearrangement, but having only visited 1 of the 8 zoos remaining in the competition I don't have a lot of input to offer anymore without spending copious time doing research. Can't say why others have been participating less.

8. CGSwans

There has thus far been a universal consensus (across both threads) that it's a 2-1 for Plzen. Why is that?

9. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A bit off-topic regarding the conversation, but I just want to alert everyone that the ZooChat Cup threads are in the ZooChat Cup forum under General now.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To be honest this is another one where, had a 50/50 option been available, I would have had a little more difficulty in deciding how to vote :p but broadly speaking:

1) The various savannah and plains exhibits at Plzen which I have highlighted in past photo compilations (the pair of African hoofstock exhibits and the Indian plains exhibit) are sizable, very pleasant in appearance and (due to a combination of their size, orientation and the position of the public footpaths in relation to the exhibits) the inhabitants are able to escape from public view with relative ease; the single savannah exhibit at Wroclaw is also pretty good, and a decent size, but can more or less be entirely circumnavigated by the public - which on busy days quite possibly has an impact on the animals. The inhabitants are more or less unable to escape from view..... one reason why @ShonenJake13 was extremely surprised when he revisited the collection with me on my first visit in September 2019, only for us to have no luck whatsoever spotting the last Hartebeest in Europe.

Turned out it had been taken off-show that morning for health reasons, grumblegrumblegrumble :p

2) The desert houses at both collections are pretty good, but the Sonora House at Plzen (again, extensively discussed by myself previously) has the edge in both exhibit quality and collection scope. Plzen also has the Succulent House, which contains several grassland and desert reptiles, and a rather nice selection of desert and semi-desert adapted plants.

3) On a pure collection level, Plzen is ahead by a LONG shot. Barring the aforementioned Hartebeest, the collection at Wroclaw really doesn't offer anything which isn't already found at Plzen, and as noted above generally in equally-good to slightly better exhibits, whilst Plzen has a lot of big oddities in this regard.

---

It is worth noting, incidentally, that neither collection is particularly immersive or themed in this regard.

twilighter and Coelacanth18 like this.
  11. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am also divided in this round. I didn't vote, yet, cos this is the only way for me to vote for draw. I agree, that Plzen Savanna is clearly ahead of Wroclaw's, but the Polish zoo has also spacious area with paddocks for White- bearded Gnu, Deffasa Waterbuck, Sitatunga and Lybian Barbary sheep + one more Zebra species. Dessert winner is also not 100 % clear for me. I like the Sonora house more , but the Wroclaw's dessert feels closer, personally, to the current challenge terms. I was ready to vote for Plzen too, but the second floor in Africarium with Dwarf mongoose, Dik dik, + various African birds and the Cama hartebeest equalizing the score for me.

12. TeaLovingDave

I'm not sure why you aren't certain whether a house at Plzen named after, and containing species from, the largest hot desert in the USA - and the second largest in North America - counts or not :p

13. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just a feeling :) I did not explain myself correct, sorry. Just see the Wroclaw's "desert" more like a border biom between desert and grassland, fitting more to the initial category, than to true Desert. Thinking again , if the category was only Desert, I would probably vote for Plzen, cos their representation is better.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2020
  14. TeaLovingDave

I'd be interested to hear what has led @Haasje to change his vote from 2-1 Plzen to 2-1 Wroclaw :) care to argue in favour of the latter collection, in case anyone has forgotten something important?

15. Haasje

Haasje Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well for me it is another case of 50/50. Now with the extension, I have the opportunity to also vote in favor of Wroclaw.

16. TeaLovingDave

You do realise that your old vote and new vote aren't both counted, and you therefore can't vote both ways in order to achieve a de facto 3:3 vote?

Might be misinterpreting your meaning, but that's the impression I am getting of your motives.

17. Haasje

Haasje Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, that was exactly my plan...

18. CGSwans

Sorry, doesn’t work that way. As it stands you have voted 2-1 for Wroclaw.