Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup finals: Vienna vs Beauval

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 14 Feb 2020.

?

Beauval vs Vienna: Ectotherms

Poll closed 17 Feb 2020.
  1. Beauval 3-0 Vienna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beauval 2-1 Vienna

23.3%
  3. Vienna 2-1 Beauval

76.7%
  4. Vienna 3-0 Beauval

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One last go around for Beauval, in a match that has rather higher stakes for Vienna. Ectotherms.

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, Vienna has a great Reptile house, some rather cute terraria for their native reptiles and amphibians and a few other things scattered around the zoo. On the other hand, Beauval has some really nice fish exhibits in the Gorilla house, a few terraria for Australasian reptiles, amphibians and fish, a large tank for cichlids near the hippos and of course all the exhibits in the Equatorial Dome, of which I have given a quick run through below:

Golden mantellas
    Blind fish spp.
    Poison dart frog spp.
    Guppy spp.
    Zebra fish spp.
    Pleco spp.
    Arapaima
    Arrau turtle
    Pacu
    Red-tailed catfish
    Emerald tree boa
    Mission golden-eyed tree frog
    Lesser Antillean iguana
    Mata mata turtle
    Red-bellied piranha
    Yellow anaconda
    Rubber eel
    Mississippi alligator
    Cuvier's dwarf caiman
    Neon tetra spp.
    Radiated tortoise
    Lots of species of cichlid
    Aldabra giant tortoise
    Coconut crab
    Green tree skink
    Moss frogs
    Boelen's python
    Box turtle
    Philippine sailfin lizard
    Reticulated python
    Eastern long-necked turtle
    Komodo dragon
    Sunda gharial
    Pig-nosed turtle
    Malaysian giant turtle
    Southern river terrapin
    Earless monitor lizard
    Emperor scorpion
    Leaf stick insect spp.

It is also worth noting that the dome holds 24,000 fish, 600 insects and 150 reptiles.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Vienna actually has quite a lot to offer.

In several places in the zoo there are terraria for a good range of native reptiles and amphibians. There are a couple of large outdoor aquaria for native fish. Then the zoo has a nice insect house, focused mostly on grasshoppers and both the desert and rainforesthouse have a good number of fitting reptiles, amphibians and fish. The aquarium-terrarium building is not huge, but still houses a good variety of ectotherms, including many rarer species.

Additionally Vienna does a lot when it comes to breeding reptiles, amphibians and fish. A sectiom of the aquarium is devoted to rare freshwater fish that are bred on site. Additionally the zoo also has an amphibian breeding centre partly on show. Behind the scenes a lot more reptiles are kept and in recent years the zoo had several world or european first breedings, including the forst European breeding of Earless monitors.

4. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

...this is the moment, where some pictures and reports from the equatorial dome could prove decisive. Alas, nothing yet it seems.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed. Not having visited either zoo it's hard for me to make a proper decision based on the little that's been posted here. For now I've gone with Vienna mainly for their breeding work with freshwater fishes, but I could easily be swayed in favor of Beauval if proper arguments were made.

~Thylo

6. amur leopard

Yes - it seems the visitors to the zoo are much more intent on taking photos of the scenery and plants than of the enclosures :(

I have tried to assemble as many photos as possible of the Dome's exhibits for ectotherms but couldn't find many of decent quality. Anyway, here we go:

alligatoe.jpg
    arapaima.PNG
    Arapaimas, Pacus

alligator.PNG
    Alligator

anaconda.PNG
    Yellow anaconda (there is a larger terrarium for green anacondas further into the dome)

komodo dragon.PNG
    dragon.PNG
    dragon 2.PNG
    Lots of climbing opportunities. On the third one the dragon is poking its nose up in the centre right of the photo.

tomistoma 2.PNG
    Young tomistoma pool with 4 babies. (1.3) Larger than this, but just showing the depth of the pool and was the best still from the video I could find.

turtle 2.PNG

Turtles

cichlid.jpg
    Cichlids in the Hippo house

ThylacineAlive and Coelacanth18 like this.
  7. amur leopard

And to finish off:

tomistoma 3.PNG
    tomistoma.PNG
    The adult tomistoma pool

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That does look pretty great!

~Thylo

9. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

From Vienna's site, which does a pretty good job listing all their species, I got the following species numbers: 43 reptiles, 20 amphibians, 119 fish and 73 invertebrates.

The Rainforest House has side enclosures for Burmese python, vampire crabs and some frogs. There are also a few tanks for rainforest fish: eyespot pufferfish, giant gourami, archerfish and mudskippers. Most notably, however, are the displays of rock frogs and northern river terrapin, for both of which Vienna acted as a pioneer to keep them in captivity.

The Insectarium displays most of Viennas insects, and is one of the better insect houses I've been to, with only ARTIS' coming close.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Aquarium and Terrarium House houses almost all of Vienna's herps and fish. Highlights here are the reef tank, the Crocodile Pavillion, the breeding of endangered fish species, the rhinoceros iguana/Haitian ameiva terrarium, the stingray/caiman lizard terrarium and the lovely outdoor terrariums.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even though there are other ectotherm enclosures dotted around the zoo, the final major ectotherm habitat is the Desert House. Highlights here are black-tailed rattlesnake, angulate tortoise and armadillo girdled lizard.
    [​IMG]

Coincidentally, all ectotherm conservation also counts as aquatics, so I've detailed their conservation and research efforts here already.

10. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have never visited Vienna but I am quite sure it's far better than Beauval for ectotherms. Beauval has more species and more exhibits (with the dome) but the problem is that the collection is boring (for major part) with few endangered species and it does not breed !
    In addition, I think the terrariums are better equipped and prettier in Vienna.

11. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Just I rectify a small error:
    The last photo of the amur leopard post is the giant otter pool, not the tomistomas.

12. amur leopard

Are you sure? That came from a video from Beauval of them sliding into that pool and swimming in it on the Carnet de Bord, since there was nothing else I could find of use. I'm quite sure it is the tomistoma pool unless of course the keepers got it wrong and had to catch them from the pool again and transfer them :D

13. Valentin

Don't be so sure about yourself ... :)

This is the giant otter pool, I explain to you what happened:
    - the tomistomas arrived but their pool was not finished so they were temporarily placed in the otter enclosure
    - when their enclosure was finished the tomistomas were restarted and the otters came to their enclosure.

amur leopard likes this.
  14. amur leopard

Ah, ok. A rather roundabout way of doing things, but thanks for explaining! :)

15. Valentin

But rather logical to give a temporary space to the tomistomas.