Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup finals: Vienna vs Zurich

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 27 Jan 2020.

?

Vienna vs Zurich: Miscellaneous mammals

Poll closed 29 Jan 2020.
  1. Vienna 3-0 Zurich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Vienna 2-1 Zurich

86.2%
  3. Zurich 2-1 Vienna

13.8%
  4. Zurich 3-0 Vienna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

...changed my vote on account of Vienna having larger collection and diversity (but except for the elephant shrew - in a beautiful building no less - and armadillo nothing with wow factor, for me, that Zurich doesn't have), but Zurich's hyrax, agouti, flying fox, capybara & giant anteater, (Swinhoe's) squirrel, and koala enclosures distinctly outshining Vienna's (also excellent) corresponding enclosures.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The pictures you show of he Capybara and Anteater enclosure of Vienna do it no justice, aa they show only a small proportion, I would say both indoor and outdoor are clearly better than Zurich.

The Rat house in Vienna is also an underrated gem with large enclosures for the inhabitants and a good use of a former Hippo house.

twilighter and pipaluk like this.
  3. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Rat House is actually one of the best exhibits, dedicated only to rodents, I have ever seen:
    20191217_131140.jpg 20191217_134840.jpg 20191217_134919.jpg 20191217_120911.jpg

antonmuster likes this.
  4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It was my review quoted, so here is my opinion of the Zurich koala house. The decoration is pure fantasy. No koala, or for that matter red-necked wallaby, ever lived in an environment that resembles that depicted by the exhibit. They could have depicted it as the moon and it would have been no less realistic than the current exhibit. The easiest way to improve it would be to go in and paint everything olive green. The Vienna exhibit was described as resembling a house patio. At least koalas do on occasion sit on home patios.

Having said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with Zurich's husbandry, and it was an excellent exhibit from the point of view of the koalas (who of course would be oblivious to the decoration).