Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group B: Berlin Zoo vs San Diego Zoo Safari Park

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 17 Sep 2019.

?

Berlin Zoo vs San Diego Zoo Safari Park: Primates

Poll closed 19 Sep 2019.
  1. Berlin Zoo 3-0 San Diego Zoo Safari Park

79.3%
  2. Berlin Zoo 2-1 San Diego Zoo Safari Park

20.7%
  3. San Diego Zoo Safari Park 2-1 Berlin Zoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. San Diego Zoo Safari Park 3-0 Berlin Zoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Both zoos need this one after losses in their first matches: narrow but shocking in Berlin’s case, a comprehensive shellacking in San Diego’s. This time they’re going head to head on primates.

The rules:
    • You have three votes to award. If you think it's a tight match, award 2 votes to the stronger zoo and 1 to the weaker one. But if you think it's a wider margin than that, award all 3 votes to the winner.
    • Your criteria for how you make your decision is entirely up to you, *except* that you must stay only within the given category. That includes ignoring the results of the other match: no strategic voting.
    • All votes are public, and all votes can be changed. The purpose of the game is to provoke debate, so make your case for why people should vote the same way as you do. Be open to reconsidering your vote.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeesh, this cup is not in San Diego's favor is it?

SDZSP literally only has Western Lowland Gorilla on-exhibit in what I ironically remember being a decent but completely forgettable enclosure.

From my visit in September 2018, Berlin kept 21 species:
    -Brazilian Black Howler
    -Colombian Spider Monkey
    -Geoffroy's Marmoset
    -Graells's Tamarin
    -Cotton-Top Tamarin
    -Weeper Capuchin
    -Common Squirrel Monkey
    -Hamlyn's Monkey
    -Stump-Tailed Macaque*
    -Lion-Tailed Macaque
    -Toque Macaque
    -Drill
    -Hamadryas Baboon
    -Western Lowland Gorilla
    -Bonobo
    -Western Chimpanzee
    -Sumatran Orangutan
    -Pileated Gibbon
    -Siamang
    -White-Fronted Lemur
    -Coppery Titi

*IIRC the Stump-Tailed Macaques left shortly after my visit but I think they were replaced by a different macaque species so the number remains the same.

Not all of Berlin's enclosures are great and I'm personally not a big fan of tiled-style indoor primate housing but Berlin has an undeniably great collection with an excellent breeding record and the only enclosures (from memory) I'd describe as being bad are those for their gibbons. Their Great Ape outdoor enclosures are all pretty good imo.

I think I have no choice but to give Berlin all three points for this one!

~Thylo

pipaluk, Brum and twilighter like this.
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I admit to cringing a little when it came up in the random number generator I use, but it is what it is.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

San Diego Zoo Safari Park has Lowland Gorillas and Ring-tailed Lemurs...and is that really it? Wow. This particular match-up is as clear a case for a 3-0 victory as can possibly be imagined. I was at SDZSP in 2017 and Berlin Zoo a couple of months ago and this head-to-head is literally no contest. I believe that the German zoo has 21 species on-show at the moment.

Berlin wins 3-0 in a romp!

5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Are Berlin's gibbon exhibits bad? I thought they had an island in the lake.

6. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After Berlin's comeback is almost time to start speculating for the last round.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I forgot about the island tbh. I was thinking about the small, narrow cage their Siamang was in in the monkey house on my visit.

~Thylo

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I made note of 23 primate species at Berlin Zoo during my August 8th, 2019, visit.

Lowland Gorilla
    Sumatran Orangutan
    Chimpanzee
    Bonobo
    Siamang
    Mandrill
    Hamadryas Baboon
    Weeper Capuchin
    Brown-headed Spider Monkey
    Black Howler Monkey
    Owl-faced Monkey
    Toque Macaque
    Japanese Macaque
    Lion-tailed Macaque
    Hanuman Langur
    Red Titi
    Silvered Leaf Monkey
    Squirrel Monkey
    Goeldi’s Monkey
    Cotton-top Tamarin
    Emperor Tamarin
    Black-mantled Tamarin
    White-fronted Marmoset

There might even be a 24th species, although I don't recall seeing a gibbon island anywhere. Either way, Berlin trounces SDZSP in this particular category.

Brum and pipaluk like this.
  9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a Pileated gibbon island at the back of the carnivore house, but likely the path from which it is most easily viewed is closed because of the ongoing renovations.

snowleopard likes this.
  10. FunkyGibbon

I don't like Berlin's Primate House. The line-up is amazing, but the enclosures are hum-drum at best. I don't think there is much good to say about exhibit quality. This is a category where Berlin is vulnerable, and yet SDZSP is an open goal that it will slide three quick penalties into.

pipaluk and lintworm like this.
  11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

From memory the outdoor ape enclosures are pretty good!

ThylacineAlive and pipaluk like this.
  12. FunkyGibbon

I don't think they are really. They are not bad, certainly; they look much better in comparison to the 'Monkey Wing' of the building. However, if I was being harsh I would say: bonobos - small, gorillas - small, chimps - boring, orangs - boring.

13. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not really comfortable with giving Berlin 3 points for primates. I found the monkey house probably the least enjoyable part of my day there, thought the fact that it was the only place where it was really crowded probably influenced my experience greatly. I found the enclosures quite small and relatively boring. The species line-up was very good, but I wouldn't mind if they reduced it to half its size to double the space for the inhabitants left. There was little that was acutally horrendous or truly unacceptable, but I found the whole thing rather unpleasant.

The ape enclosures were much better, but still relatively standard and limited in size. The fact that it was very quiet, with all of the apes fully engaged in natural behaviour made it stand out as the major positive primate experience that day. Berlin for me is an unpleasant experience in an overcrowded monkey house and some rather standard ape exhibits. Is that worth a 3-0 victory against San Diego?

Alas, it seems to be the case. Is there nothing remarkable or particularly good about the SD gorilla or lemur enclosure? It both are fine enclosures I may lean towards a 2-1 win for Berlin instead of 3-0, for what it's worth.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  14. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Exactly my sentiment, which is why I voted 2-1 for Berlin.

15. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Those words also shifted my vote that way too. I visited the Safari Park in January abd their only two primates still had good exhibits (with the gorillas having the second-best enclosure for the species I ever saw: only beaten by Bronx)