Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group B2: Berlin Zoo vs Taronga

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 28 Dec 2019.

?

Berlin Zoo vs Taronga: South and Central America

Poll closed 30 Dec 2019.
  1. Berlin Zoo 3-0 Taronga

65.5%
  2. Berlin Zoo 2-1 Taronga

31.0%
  3. Taronga 2-1 Berlin Zoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Taronga 3-0 Berlin Zoo

3.4%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, Taronga. South and Central America.

2. CGSwans

Who’s going to justify these sympathy votes for Taronga to me, eh?

3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

I personally voted 3-0 Berlin but here is Taronga's defence:

It has a nice reptile house with quite a few South American species: Green basilisks, Rhinoceros iguanas, Green iguanas, Green anacondas, Boa constrictors, Eyelash vipers, Matamatas and Red eyed tree frogs.
    They also have Cottontop tamarins and Bolivian squirrel monkeys on islands and Pygmy marmosets and Chaco tortoises in other parts of the zoo.

And although this was meant to be in Taronga's defence, it has kind of persuaded me to vote 3-0. Sorry Taronga, I tried.

4. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member

Don't know enough about either zoo. I could be convinced of a 3-0 Berlin, but no one has made any sort of case for either really. I simply voted 2-1 Berlin based off your original post saying "I'm sorry, Taronga." That told me they didn't stand much of a chance for the get go.

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Australian zoos are always going to perform badly in this category. About three decades ago the major zoos decided to get out of South America and concentrate on South-east Asia. There were a number of very good reasons for this. Of course this led to the loss of a number of species over the subsequent period, and while a few have returned more recently, there are still very few South and Central American species in Australian zoos.

6. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Red-eyed tree-frogs would be the Australian species of that name.

amur leopard likes this.
  7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member

Who's going to justify giving all of their votes to Berlin with no information provided, eh?

NSU42 and ThylacineAlive like this.
  8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

Guilty :p To be fair, South America isn't really Berlin's shining star either even though they do have a section of the zoo for it. The bulk of their tropical American mammal collection is made up of primates which all have ok to good enclosures but nothing great. For me, the SA highlight is the truly massive amount of White-Lipped Peccaries present--I think I counted something like 31 individuals when @ShonenJake13 and I visited in 2018. I'd imagine for most people the highlight is the single remaining Baird's Tapir, which is one of four left in Europe. I counted earlier and I think the zoo has around 18 SA mammal species, though this does not include any species currently off-exhibit due to the carnivore/nocturnal house being refurbished. I didn't count birds or herps because in mammals alone Berlin already dominates Taronga.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Moderator Staff Member

Did you vote 3-0 for Taronga by mistake?

MRJ likes this.
  10. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

So much for a secret ballot.

No it is a sympathy vote - nobody else will. And because Australia invented the secret ballot, which apparently has not yet caught on properly in the UK..

11. CGSwans

None of these polls are secret precisely so that people can do what Funky did here: question apparently questionable votes, and ideally get a thought-provoking explanation for why the vote was made.

I’m aware that you haven’t really paid much attention to this game, so I will just note here that the one cardinal rule is that you need to vote based solely on the category under discussion, in this case South and Central America. ‘Sympathy’ votes aren’t allowed, I’m afraid.

12. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Ar yes but how can you tell my true intentions? Don't worry I think you will find this my one and only intrusion into the game...:)

13. CGSwans

Well, you did rather give your rationale away. :)

Obviously I’d love you to keep playing, though I understand if you’re a little reticent given your professional ties. I won’t be able to count your vote as currently explained, alas.

MRJ likes this.