Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group B2: Chester vs Taronga

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 5 Dec 2019.

?

Chester vs Taronga

Poll closed 7 Dec 2019.
  1. Chester 3-0 Taronga

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chester 2-1 Taronga

24.3%
  3. Taronga 2-1 Chester

73.0%
  4. Taronga 3-0 Chester

2.7%
  1. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ha! I totally expected a comment like that. :p
    Of course, my rationale isn't that "it's in Australia so it automatically wins". Sydney zoo just gave me this unique feeling of being on this alien continent with all these alien animals and plants, which you can see in the zoo, but which are also out there, somewhere on this vast continent stretching out right before you, or perching in the tree right above your head, crawling across the visitor path... it's difficult to put into words. Australia Zoo or Perth Zoo didn't give me that same strong feeling of being in Australia, Caversham Wildlife Park perhaps did, but not on the level of Sydney. Such things are ofc entirely subjective.
    And these considerations are ofc *in addition* to the collection and often delightful enclosures.

2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Are you trying to get me into trouble? I have the feeling my opinion will disappoint and provoke disapproval amongst some zoochatters.

It is worth saying that effective conservation is a cooperative enterprise, I doubt there are any conservation projects that either Taronga or Chester can claim as solely their own.

Taronga is involved in around 10 conservation breeding programs for endangered species on it's campuses. A conservation breeding program involves a managed program directly supporting the survival of the species in the wild. For example Taronga's regent honeyeater program breeds birds for release, up to 100 at a time. They are not the only facility in this program (we ourselves have provided 5 birds to date) however they are the founders, drivers, and main participants. This is where the issue is, all these programs are native, of course. By comparison Chester is involved in none. So on the face of it Taronga wins.

However it is a lot more complex than that. I have said before that it is very difficult for European and North American zoos to involve themselves with conservation breeding programs. There is little opportunity with native species and again as I have said before, programs for exotics are best conducted in-situ. Chester does support a large number of programs, from their website I understand around 67, Only a few of these are conservation breeding programs and again most are cooperative, so the question is how significant is Chester's involvement? It should also be noted that Taronga also supports a number of in-situ programs outside Australia, however not as many a Chester.

I don't know how significant conservation is in this game (personally as in all things zoo I would hope very) but without intimate knowledge it would be a very difficult thing to judge. My own feeling is Taronga puts up a very strong case.

One other thing both zoos have large research programs. Taronga recently opened the Taronga Institute of Science & Learning. What is interesting about this facilities is it turns the research laboratories into exhibits with each having glass walls for the public to view through. This facility in itself would be worthy of some points.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Your reply has no bearing on the matter in any event, as the match has ended :) so you need not worry.

MRJ likes this.
  4. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Really depends on the voter in this case. I think for some it probably matters very little and they judge what they can physically see at the zoo, while others it is very important.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I can think of a few captive programmes for UK native species which Chester is involved with, for what it's worth; fen spider, harvest mouse, hazel dormouse, sand lizard and wildcat.

6. MRJ

I think this is a very unfair summation of what Taronga has done, Exhibits represent specific ecosystems and Taronga Zoo has no more thrown mesh over a bit of native forest than the Bronx Zoo has thrown a bit of mesh across native forest to represent the Congo rainforest.

ThylacineAlive and NSU42 like this.
  7. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Certainly not! I just figured you’d be our member most familiar with what Taronga was doing, and figured that if you didn’t want to say anything complimentary that you’d simply ignore the tag. :)

MRJ likes this.
  8. MRJ

I could not find them on their website so my apologies.

9. MRJ

So I was not able to save the day? How disappointing! Anyway I see that Taronga won so I guess I will bask in the reflected glory of an Aussie win.:rolleyes:

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Also Large Heath butterfly, just for completeness. :)

(though of course these are not really relevant to their Australia and the Islands performance!)

MRJ likes this.
  11. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Fair enough, but again I do not think such exhibitry is by any means bad. In fact, I love seeing exhibits like this and actively support zoos using their natural surroundings as apart of their enclosures. This is especially true with aviaries as naturally growing trees and plantlife is always more exciting to view birds in than anything else. :)

~Thylo

Last edited: 9 Dec 2019
  12. MRJ

Agreed, and you will find plenty of trees and other plants in the Taronga aviaries. Zoo horticulture is an entire field of its own.

ThylacineAlive likes this.