Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group C2: Beauval vs Denver

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 8 Dec 2019.

?

Beauval vs Denver: South and Central America

Poll closed 10 Dec 2019.
  1. Beauval 3-0 Denver

21.4%
  2. Beauval 2-1 Denver

75.0%
  3. Denver 2-1 Beauval

3.6%
  4. Denver 3-0 Beauval

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A very important match for two first-go losers, this. The topic? South and Central America.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

By all accounts, Denver has a rather poor South American collection - I vaguely recall someone suggesting that if they drew this category it would doom them - whereas from what I know, Beauval has quite a nice array of South American taxa. A relatively easy 2-1 for Beauval, with room to upgrade to a 3-0 if more informed minds can supply the relevant evidence.

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think they have quite a few South American primates, in what most who have visited call a very good primate complex. They also have an extensive (if not well-documented) collection of smaller tropical animals spanning several taxonomic groups, including Neotropical bats and I think many Neotropical birds and ectotherms. Getting information on it might be hard - and Beauval is a strong contender - but I'd be surprised to hear that this is a poor category for them.

4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

While I hope those that have been to Denver will give their take, I can fill in more basic information until then. Primate Panorama houses most of the South American collection in and around the Jewels of the Emerald Forest building, with indoor enclosures that look like so:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The building held the following species in 2016:

White-faced Saki
    Southern Tamandua
    Coppery Titi
    White-eared Titi
    Golden Lion Tamarin
    Emperor Tamarin
    White-fronted Marmoset
    Pygmy Marmoset

I think the tamandua might be gone now; don't know the status of the primates. Denver also has spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys, and capuchins that live outdoors in the warmer months:

Spider Monkey
    [​IMG]

Squirrel Monkey
    [​IMG]

Hooded Capuchin/Crested Screamer/American White Pelican
    [​IMG]

There is a Forest Aviary (also in Primate Panorama) that contained Scarlet Ibis and Helmeted Curassow, among other birds that don't count here. Unfortunately, I can't find any photos of it and cannot speak to its quality. I also just remembered that Bird World is closed, which could hurt Denver a decent amount since that is where nearly all of their Neotropical bird collection was housed.

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Beauval species list:

Antillean manatee
    Bearded emperor tamarin
    Goeldi's monkey
    Colombian black spider monkey
    Cotton-top tamarin
    Puma
    Giant anteater
    Giant otter
    Golden lion tamarin
    Golden handed tamarin
    Jaguar
    Large hairy armadillo
    Linnaeus's two toed sloth
    Patagonian mara
    Pied tamarin
    Silvery marmoset
    South American coati
    South American tapir
    Southern three-banded armadillo
    Western pygmy marmoset
    White faced saki
    Yellow breasted capuchin

American black vulture
    American flamingo
    Andean cock of the rock
    Andean condor
    Black chested buzzard eagle
    Black headed parrot
    Black necked stilt
    Blue and yellow macaw
    Blue headed macaw
    Blue throated macaw
    Blue winged macaw
    Blue winged teal
    Brazilian tanager
    Brazilian teal
    Burrowing parrot
    Channel billed toucan
    Chestnut fronted macaw
    Chilean flamingo
    Chiloe wigeon
    Comb duck
    Common mallard
    Crested caracara
    Cuban amazon
    Cuban trogon
    Double yellow headed amazon
    Fulvous whistling duck
    Golden conure
    Great green macaw
    Greater rhea
    Green thighed parrot
    Green winged macaw
    Guira cuckoo
    Harris' hawk
    Humboldt penguin
    Hyacinth macaw
    Jandava parakeet
    King vulture
    Lesser white fronted amazon
    Northern cardinal
    Northern Helmeted curassow
    Northern pintail
    Northern red fan parrot
    Red crested cardinal
    Red crowned amazon
    Red fronted macaw
    Red legged seriema
    Red tailed amazon
    Ringed teal
    Rosy-billed pochard
    Scarlet ibis
    Scarlet macaw
    Southern boat billed heron
    Southern festive amazon
    Southern screamer
    Speckled teal
    Spectacled owl
    Sun conure
    Sunbittern
    Toco toucan
    Turkey vulture
    Upland goose
    Vinaceous breasted amazon
    Wattled jacana
    Western spindalis
    White cheeked pintail
    White-faced whistling duck
    Wood duck
    Yellow shouldered amazon

Argentine black and white tegu
    Boa constrictor
    Caiman lizard
    Common anaconda
    Common green iguana
    Emerald tree boa
    Garden tree boa
    Green basilisk
    Hilaire's side necked turtle
    Mata Mata
    Red-footed tortoise
    Spectacled caiman
    Splendid japalure
    Yellow footed tortoise

Anthonys poison arrow frog
    Blue poison dart frog
    Maranon poison frog
    Yellow banded poison frog

108 species in total without fish, 22 mammals, 14 species of reptile, 4 species of amphibian and 68 species of bird.

6. amur leopard

Conservation initiatives at both zoos:

Denver:
    Lake Titicaca frogs and Junin giant frogs
    : they are working with many other zoos to develop understanding of these frogs in order to save them both from extinction.

Beauval:
    Andean condor
    : Works hand in hand with BIOANDINA to build several rehabilitation centres for injured or hungry condors, and also encourages their breeding in the wild.
    Harpy eagle: Singlehandedly financially supports a conservation charity for harpy eagles in Brazil by providing them with radio collars for the eagles (especially chicks) and studies the genetic variation in the species.
    Jaguar: Works to radio collar jaguars near Iguazu falls, an area of high tourism, and to ameliorate human-jaguar interactions to allow peaceful cohabitation.
    Giant anteater: Works to study why the anteaters venture onto roads in the Cerrado and tries to therefore limit the number of roadkills taking place by placing limits on speed on the roads. It also radio collars the anteaters to find out more about their behaviour.
    Buffy-headed marmoset: They protect these Endangered species against invasive species introduced recently, which have been the principal cause of their decline. They also encourage other zoos to breed them ex-situ.
    Tequila fish: This Endangered fish is being bred on in-situ sites as well as at the zoo in order to trigger the development in population that they need. They also study the affect of humans on their habitat.
    All four lion tamarin (Leontopithecus) species: They support the initiative to fins, collar and follow the populations of these Endangered and Critically Endangered species, working with Copenhagen and several other European zoos.
    White-footed tamarins: Beauval coordinates the initiative to save the White-footed tamarin, endemic to Colombia. It encourages Colombian zoos to start breeding programs, financially support several rehabilitation areas for this species, studies the species in the wild with radio collars etc., fights against the trapping of the species for the pet trade, educates locals about the importance of the species and is trying to agree a deal to create a protected area for the species with the government.
    Cottontop tamarins: Beauval buys areas to restore land as it previously was in order to create habitats for the tamarins and to give them a protected area in which to live. They also support Proyecto Titi, a small organization uniquely supporting Cottontop tamarins.
    Giant armadillo: Beauval works with the RZSS to radio collar and tag armadillos in order to learn as much as they can about them. They track their diets, ranges, movement and place camera traps to record behaviour. They also study how the species comes into contact with humans.
    South American tapir: They study the health of the local tapirs in Brazil and are trying to create a protected area for the animals to replenish their dwindling numbers.

twilighter and CGSwans like this.
  7. CGSwans

I particularly liked Beauval’s mixed-species tequila fish and mezcal worm tanks.

amur leopard and FunkyGibbon like this.
  8. amur leopard

And just in case this could play a part in anyone's vote, Beauval is very close to opening the Equatoial dome, a massive tropical rainforest about the same size as Gondwanaland with exhibits for Giant otters, Harpy eagles (only third collection in Europe to hold this species) and Antillean manatees notably for this tie, but I imagine many other species being part of the plans. The enclosures are built and they are just receiving the last animals. Fyi there will also be Red-shanked douc langurs, komodo dragons, several species of lemur,

Other species that could be of interest for this tie are squirrel monkeys, green anaconda (in a massive aquaterrarium), tamanduas, toco toucans, tegus, dendrobates, mata mata turtles and piranhas.
    Exhibit details - the manatee viewing glass is 44 metres long, the giant otter viewing glass is 23 metres long. The aviaries for tamandua, toucans and squirrel monkeys are 20 metres high and the manatee pool is 3.5 metres deer

9. CGSwans

We have previously established that future developments are out of scope. This frankly wonderful-sounding exhibit can count next time. :)

amur leopard likes this.
  10. amur leopard

It is entirely built and all the animals have been imported in though, so depending on the definition, it could count in a way. :)

11. CGSwans

Is it open?

12. amur leopard

They are opening it in February 2020 in order to give the animals time to settle in and to land it on the date of their 40th Anniversary, but it could have opened a month ago in theory.

13. TeaLovingDave

If it is fully-built and the animals are merely offshow I think it probably should count more than a nebulous future plan/intention, for what it's worth.... though obviously not to the level of anything open and onshow.

amur leopard likes this.
  14. CGSwans

I do see the nuance, but the issue I had with counting future projects was that any attempt to evaluate them is, by definition, speculative. Beauval’s new exhibit might be amazing, but it might also be a botched job, and until it’s open we only have their PR materials to go on.

15. amur leopard

To be fair, @Emperor Penguin gave a very detailed overview of the exhibits which is why I was able to give this information. I agree with TLD - it should be taken into account but not recognised fully. I do recognise that it is hard to factor something in if you don't know just how good it is but I have found some concept art and from descriptions I got the impression that it really would be seismic:
    Link to concept art:
    https://www.cmf-groupe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Zoo-beuval-projet-exception.jpg

The whole dome is 8000m2 in size.

16. TeaLovingDave

My thinking is more that the species within would count with regards to considering the scope of the collection, but that the exhibit itself isn't valid for consideration.

That said, looking again AL listed some species which the zoo definitely haven't got yet :p so perhaps not. The manatees count at least, as those have long been in the collection and onshow, and I believe still are.

17. CGSwans

Sorry, but I do need to stay consistent with my earlier ruling re: Singapore and its under-construction Bird Park. Beauval is obviously somewhat further along but the decision at that time was that ‘future’ exhibits don’t count. Beauval’s rainforest dome has not opened to the public and as such is still a ‘future’ exhibit.

amur leopard likes this.
  18. amur leopard

The species you are referring to (I assume giant otters and maybe a few others) are all at the zoo, just off show. The otters arrived from Duisburg and Givskud a few weeks ago.
    Not sure which others you would be referencing, so could you please specify?

19. TeaLovingDave

The Harpy Eagles and the Douc Langurs.

amur leopard likes this.
  20. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To be fair to @amur leopard only the Harpy Eagles count towards this challenge. Saying that, it's a very important species that would influence some people's votes. That could be taken as misleading the voters...