Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group D: Frankfurt vs San Diego

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 29 Oct 2019.

?

Frankfurt vs San Diego Zoo: Primates

Poll closed 1 Nov 2019.
  1. Frankfurt 3-0 San Diego

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Frankfurt 2-1 San Diego

7.7%
  3. San Diego 2-1 Frankfurt

84.6%
  4. San Diego 3-0 Frankfurt

7.7%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’m not going to lie, I was sort of hoping this would be miscellaneous mammals. Alas, primates it is.

2. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

I've been to both zoos this year - and both zoos have clearly their strengths in this category.

Despite the impressive collection of Frankfurt (21 species) - especially for nocturnal primates - I still believe that San Diego cannot be beaten here.

Attached the list for Frankfurt according to Zootierliste:

White-faced saki
    Bonobo
    Brown spider monkey
    Aye-Aye
    Yellow-breasted Capuchin
    Pygmy Marmoset
    Golden Lion Tamarin
    Grey Mouse Lemur
    Grey-bellied Night Monkey
    Patas Monkey
    Ring-tailed Lemur
    Cotton-headed Tamarin
    Hamadryas Baboon
    Grey Slender Loris
    White-cheeked Gibbon
    Emperor Tamarin
    Black Howler Monkey
    Northern Lesser Galago
    Goeldi's Tamarin
    Sumatran Orang-Utan
    Western lowland Gorilla

snowleopard likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Care to expound more on the matter of the SD collection? :)

4. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

According the its homepage (which is not so easy to read) San Diego zoo is home to the following primates species:

Hamadryas baboon
    Gelada
    Mandrill
    Francois' Langur
    Vervet monkeys
    Tufted capuchin monkeys
    Silvered leaf monkey
    Kikuyu colobus monkey
    Angolan colobus monkeys
    Northern black-crested mangabeys
    Allen's swamp monkeys
    Red-tailed monkeys
    Lesser spot-nosed monkey
    Wolf’s guenons
    De Brazza's monkey
    Siamang
    Yellow-cheeked gibbon
    Western lowland gorilla
    Sumatran Orang-Utan
    Bonobo
    Ring-tailed Lemur
    Coquerel's sifaka
    Aye-aye
    Red-ruffed Lemur
    Red-collard Lemur
    Blue-eyed black Lemur
    Pygmy slow lorises
    Pygmy marmosets (off-exhibit)

Those of you living in the US and/or who have potentially a complete species list - please correct the list if I'm wrong...

snowleopard likes this.
  5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Doesn't San Diego keep several primate species in some horrible corn-crib cages?

Frankfurt's enclosures are a mixed bag, some are impressively ugly, but not necessarily bad for the animals, whereas the Borgoriwald is quite possibly the best Great Ape house on the continent.

6. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

The only 'horrible enclosure' at San Diego I remember was the Aye-Aye cage - however on the other side there is a whole list of world-class enclosures - e.g. at Africa Rocks and several really good enclosures mostly embedded in a real jungle forrest surroundings where primates are mixed with other animals (e.g. pigmy hippos) or different primates (e.g. Orang Utan with Siamangs)

BigNate and amur leopard like this.
  7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Primates are a great strength of both zoos. I was at Frankfurt Zoo this summer and the Great Ape House there is superb, with indoor enclosures that are perhaps the best I've ever seen in my lifetime of visiting 520 different zoos and aquariums. However, while the outdoor Lowland Gorilla and Sumatran Orangutan exhibits are decent, the outdoor Bonobo yards (with around 16 of the apes) are not up to the high standard of the other great ape habitats.

Even though the Borgori-Wald in Frankfurt is superb, the Small Monkey House is destined for the bulldozer as it's seen better days. It opened in 1962 and although the primates probably don't care, aesthetically it is very poor. There is also a Hamadryas Baboon mock-rock 'blob' that is awful. Frankfurt does have a nice gibbon island and some primates in the iconic Grzimek House that are all in very good exhibits.

While Frankfurt is arguably one of the better zoos in Europe for primates, mainly due to the presence of the Great Ape House, San Diego Zoo is superb for primates. The Lowland Gorilla, Sumatran Orangutan and Bonobo exhibits are all top-notch, although there is no indoor viewing of the apes. Yes, there are Aye-ayes in horrendous corn-crib cages and it boggles my mind that a zoo as famous as San Diego still has such outdated accommodation. However, it is important to note that in locations such as Africa Rocks and Lost Forest there are world-class primate exhibits around every corner. Large, netted exhibits with lots of climbing opportunities are the norm and San Diego is probably, off the top of my head, the best zoo in North America for primates and with at least 25 species on-show. Frankfurt does well in this category, but it cannot top San Diego. I will say that I don't see how this can be a 3-0 victory for either zoo...that would be a harsh assessment.

I'm voting 2-1 San Diego Zoo

P.S. When all of these ZooChat World Cup groups were announced, I originally declared that Group D was the 'Group of Death' and I stand by that statement. Even if, hypothetically, San Diego and Beauval advance, I feel bad for Saint Louis and Frankfurt...two really fantastic zoos.

amur leopard likes this.
  8. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree that this is more of a group of death than the Group with Chester etc...
    I also feel bad for St Louis and Frankfurt, because they are really really good. The only reason why neither of them went through is because they got unlucky with their draws - St Louis with birds vs San Diego, Frankfurt with Carnivores against Beauval and again with Primates against SDZ now instead of Misc. mammals, a group where they would do very well indeed...

9. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is an interesting matchup! I don't know much about Frankfurt, unfortunately.

Anyways, primates. This is probably San Diego's 3rd strongest category, after Birds and Ecotherms.

To get the bad stuff out of the way, those corn-crib cages in the Sun Bear Forest are horrible. Definitely the worst exhibits in the zoo and a blemish on the zoos Primate collection. Aye-ayes for sure are in these exhibits, although I'm not sure if other species reside here.

Other than that, the zoos Primate exhibits are great. Apes do well here, with large yards for Bonobos and Gorillas, and an Orangutan/ Siamang exhibit that is amongst the best I've seen for either species.

The new development Africa Rocks has above average Gelada and Hamadryas Baboon exhibits, as well as a decent Vervet Monkey Exhibit and two large enclosures for Red-Ruffed Lemurs, Blue-Eyed Black Lemurs, Coquerel's Sifaka, Red-collared Lemur and Ring-Tailed Lemur.

The rest of the collection is situated in the Monkey Trails section of the Lost Forest area. The area is confusing and a bit hard to navigate, but there's a good amount of species in above average meshed enclosures.

Overall, I'm voting 2-1 San Diego. Frankfurt seems to be pretty good for Primates, but San Diego is great for them, with a large collection in (mostly) good exhibits.

10. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2-1 for San Diego. Extremely good collection with one major letdown (aye-aye enclosure [P.S. I managed to see one at dusk]). Frankfurt doesn't deserve to be blown away unanimously with its collection, so I gave them the last point.

11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In addition, they have the following per Anteaterman's list:

Lion-tailed Macaque
    Bornean Orangutan
    Golden Lion Tamarin
    Red-cheeked Gibbon

12. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

San Diego Zoo no longer holds Bornean Orang-utan

Great Argus likes this.