Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group D: Frankfurt vs St Louis

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 22 Sep 2019.

?

Frankfurt vs St Louis: ectotherms

Poll closed 24 Sep 2019.
  1. Frankfurt 3-0 St Louis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Frankfurt 2-1 St Louis

7.7%
  3. St Louis 2-1 Frankfurt

76.9%
  4. St Louis 3-0 Frankfurt

15.4%
  1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's what I meant by "no longer exist", they have been completely changed and do not resemble what they used to look like.

I don't think so, it was still like that last year. I will note that cobra has a door to a bts exhibit, I have no idea what said area is like.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That doesn't mean they no longer exist, that means they've been renovated and now look different. If they're the same size than it's still the same terrarium with the same problems it just has a different coat of paint.

~Thylo

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Not if it's being used by a different species with different space needs, which is what I thought @birdsandbats meant to begin with.

The large reptiles in general have weaker exhibits at Saint Louis then the mid-sized and smaller herps; the crocodilians have what I would call decent to good enclosures. Obviously they are no comparison to MOLA's gharial exhibit. I think a good generalization is that Saint Louis doesn't have any knockout amazing reptile enclosures, but most of the ones it does have are very good and (regardless of how they might look online) adequately-sized for their inhabitants.

I could say more, but as you're already voting in favor of Saint Louis I won't push my luck :p

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see @sooty mangabey has voted 2-1 Frankfurt. Could you explain your reasoning? I'd be interested to hear your point of view. I voted 2-1 St Louis based on what others said, but...

5. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Maybe, but still to small for this species of snake, which is most of the time in movement...

The Anaconda exhibit is huge ? So you should see the Ancaonda exhibits in some german zoos, they are gigantic ...Nevertheless, Anacondas spend most the time of their life in the water, so they need really large and deep pools.

Well, I take the view that all giant snakes in zoos should have such a large terrariums that they have the opportunity to stretch out in their full length, because in nature, these animals are not curled up all day together ....

6. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Not been to St Louis for many years. Like the look of the reptile house, but some of the displays..... And no meaningful aquarium.

Meanwhile, the Exotarium at Frankfurt is one of the zoo world’s iconic buildings.

7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Which reptile displays in particular do you not like?