Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group E: Denver vs Miami

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 2 Nov 2019.

?

Denver vs Miami: Ectotherms

Poll closed 4 Nov 2019.
  1. Denver 3-0 Miami

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Denver 2-1 Miami

100.0%
  3. Miami 2-1 Denver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Miami 3-0 Denver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The equation is simple. The zoo that’s stronger on ectotherms goes through to the next round. The weaker zoo doesn’t.

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The 2-1 Miami vote is just a place holder. Will change once I get more info on both zoos.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hmm. I obviously want as many people as possible to take part and vote, but I’ve been thinking about this and want to discourage ‘placeholder’ voting. There’s no ‘place’ to hold - there’s no maximum on the number of people who can vote, so there’s nothing to stop you from hanging back to read arguments before casting a vote. I’d rather people do that than vote based on what amounts to a guess, which they might or might not get around to reviewing later.

You don’t *have* to wait for people to make arguments, of course - if you have an actual rationale for voting a certain way then absolutely do it, and reconsider your vote later. But people should wait rather than make blind guesses.

(And please don’t feel I’m picking on you - I’ve been pondering this issue for a few days now and you just happened to make the comment that prompted me to give voice to my thoughts. :) )

Chlidonias, nczoofan and TheGerenuk like this.
  4. TheGerenuk

Fair enough, but I would surely return soon with possible info on both zoos, enough to get an idea on whom I should vote.

5. TheGerenuk

And on that note, I'll stick with my current vote. Denver has some draw cards, but Miami has way more of them, along with a good-sized amount of rare species.

6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to @geomorph

Zoo Miami (2019):
    Reptiles: 55
    Amphibians: 15
    Fish: 15

Denver Zoo (2016):
    Reptiles: 68
    Amphibians: 12
    Fish: 145

Never been to Zoo Miami, but I have been to Denver this year. Their ecototherm collection is almost all in Tropical Discovery, but that is truly one of the best exhibits I have ever seen. With a bigger collection of reptiles and fish, I am gonna go 2-1 Denver.

7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm voting 2-1 in favor of Denver. It seems the herp collections of two zoos are similar in size, but Denver blows Miami out of the water (pun intended) when it comes to fish.

8. TheGerenuk

Vote changed to 2-1 Denver. Didn't realize that Denver was better than I thought.

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited Zoo Miami in 2008, on the exact day that Amazon & Beyond opened to the public. The bulk of the ectotherms were to be found in that South American themed part of the zoo, although back then there was a nice (temporary) display of reptiles and amphibians in the Dr. Wilde's World of Discovery building. With around 70 species of reptiles and amphibians, plus more than a dozen fish species, the Amazon & Beyond section is a real strength of what is a great zoo, although I don't think that there are any ectotherms in the Dr. Wilde's structure these days.

However, Denver Zoo is easily going to win this category and I've visited that zoo in 2006 and 2012. The Tropical Discovery building, which opened in the early 1990s, has around 80 species of reptiles and amphibians, but also has a significant aquatic presence with almost 150 fish species. Half of the building is mainly a Reptile House (with a few mammal species), while the other half is essentially an Aquarium.

I voted 2-1 Denver Zoo

twilighter likes this.