Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group F: Bronx vs Zurich

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 6 Nov 2019.

?

Zurich vs Bronx: Carnivores

Poll closed 8 Nov 2019.
  1. Bronx 3-0 Zurich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bronx 2-1 Zurich

48.4%
  3. Zurich 2-1 Bronx

51.6%
  4. Zurich 3-0 Bronx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I voted 2-1 when this poll was posted for one reason. Bronx has the collection I'd like to see but Zurich has exhibits I feel I need to see. Since joining ZooChat I've been in awe of the snow leopard and bear/coati enclosures at Zurich and nothing at Bronx comes close according to photos. Bronx also loses points for all indoor leopard, fossa and vontsira enclosures.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After a long PM discussion @CGSwans, I've decided to wade back into the cup threads :)

Yeah I hate that Amur Leopard enclosure if I'm being honest, the only upside to it is it's quite tall stretching both below the floor and above. It has a lot more climbing opportunities than a lot of Leopard enclosures but it's still way too small. I was really hoping they'd replace their generic melanistic animals with the Palawan Binturongs they brought in from Nashville but looks like we're stuck with a Leopard in there for the considerable future. It's definitely the worst carnivore enclosure and one of the worst enclosures at the zoo period.

The Fossa on the other hand I think have a rather nice habitat. It's indoors yes but it's the same size as most outdoor Fossa enclosures.

In addition to this the zoo also has three orphaned Cougar cubs behind the scenes and Striped Skunk in the Children's Zoo. While they relatively commonplace animals in European zoos, it must be noted just how rare the vontsira and Dhole are in the US. Bronx is only the fifth US zoo to keep Dholes and only the fourth to actually exhibit them, and they are the only US zoo with vontsira of any species. Additionally, I feel the presence of two tiger subspecies must be noted more. Very few US zoos keep more than one subspecies of tiger, and it's fairly rare for any northern zoo to keep anything other than Amur, yet Bronx has breeding populations of both Amur and Malayan Tigers exhibited side-by-side. From my understanding, the zoo boasts roughly a dozen cats in an extensive off-show compound. And while not quite as impressive from a conservation standpoint, the zoo does keep two subspecies of Brown Bear as well (depending on one's taxonomy). In addition to Grizzly Bears, the zoo also has three Sitka Brown Bears from the ABC islands off the coast of Alaska/Canada.

The wolf?

~Thylo

twilighter, nczoofan and CGSwans like this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

The Leopard I understand, but is it unusual/bad to keep Euplerids indoors? They're relatively small species and as long as the enclosures meet all their space and enrichment requirements I don't think it's fair knock points off of Bronx for having them indoor, especially when Bronx's enclosures match the size of zoos who keep them outdoors anyway. I'd also argue that, for the Fossa, the intentionally darker enclosure matches their natural habitat a lot better than being kept in direct sunlight.

~Thylo

nczoofan likes this.
  4. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some pictures from Zurich for comparison. Thoughts likely to follow later.

Spectacled bear and coati

[​IMG]
    left enclosure overview panorama (bottom viewpoint)

[​IMG]
    left enclosure top viewpoint

[​IMG]
    left enclosure left viewpoint panorama

[​IMG]
    left enclosure bottom viewpoint detail

[​IMG]
    middle enclosure panorama

[​IMG]
    right enclosure panorama

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-> on zoolex ZooLex Exhibit - Spectacled Bears

Last edited: 7 Nov 2019
    twilighter and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

Legitimate question, though, are there no problems with predation when mixing coatis and bears? Didn't South Lakes mix these species and see several of their animals consumed?

EDIT: spoke too soon! Didn't realize they were uploading enclosures one at a time.

~Thylo

Last edited: 7 Nov 2019
  6. antonmuster

birdsandbats and ThylacineAlive like this.
  7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Snow Leopard exhibit looks great, but I am worried about mixing Andean Bears and coatis.

8. antonmuster

tiger

Unfortunately there are no good pictures of the tiger enclosure on this site. It is 1.5x to 2x the size of the snow leopard enclosure, and does not fall short aesthetically next to it. The zoo does however have a webcam of the enclose (scroll to bottom of page): Webcams | Zoo Zürich
    landscaping architects (click on plan to view layout of tiger, snow leopard, red panda, and mongolian wolf enclosures): 506 Himalayaanlage Zoo Zürich - vetschpartner Landschaftsarchitekten AG

-> on zoolex ZooLex Exhibit - Himalayas Exhibit for Siberian Tigers

[​IMG]
    main viewing area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. antonmuster

10. antonmuster

11. antonmuster

12. antonmuster

river otter

[​IMG]
    part of one half of enclosure

13. antonmuster

14. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I respectfully disagree, I'd much rather see diurnal (or crepuscular) species displayed in an ootdoor exhibit. And when it's something the size of a fossa (let alone a leopard :eek: ) then I personally feel it's a bit inadequate.

And despite all of that reasoning I'm still giving Bronx a point. If this match would've been on pretty much any other category then it would have gone the other way, but my 2-1 stands.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  15. antonmuster

The enclosure is almost 20 years old now and the concept seems to work perfectly fine.

FunkyGibbon and ThylacineAlive like this.
  16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Isn't that like saying that a "darker" enclosure is more suitable for lemurs from the same habitats (e.g. Ring-tailed Lemurs or Sifaka) than keeping those lemurs outside?

17. ThylacineAlive

I'd imagine that any species that is native to a dense forested area would probably be more suited for a darker (maybe shaded if the better term?) enclosure than kept in open sunlight. I don't know if there's any proof for that, especially since rainforest animals kept in sunnier enclosures seem to do just fine for the most part, but my main point is that I don't think an enclosure is automatically worse just because it's indoors.

~Thylo

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  18. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The spectacled bears have all been provided with the wrong prescription and therefore can't see the coatis to eat them.

Give them bifocals and it's on for young and old.

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Don't you mean bearfocals?

20. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Mongolian