Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group G: Berlin Tierpark vs Burgers

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 4 Oct 2019.

?

Burgers vs Tierpark: Ungulates and elephants

Poll closed 6 Oct 2019.
  1. Burgers 3-0 Tierpark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Burgers 2-1 Tierpark

6.1%
  3. Tierpark 2-1 Burgers

66.7%
  4. Tierpark 3-0 Burgers

27.3%
  1. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is exactly my opinion on the matter.

A part of me gets intense satisfaction from walking along the endless rows of deer paddocks in the Tierpark. Being able to see and compare so many species on one site is absolutely marvellous. But in the same way that I enjoy a single but very high-quality reptile exhibit more than row of over a dozen simple but adequate tanks, I rather see a single very good hoofstock paddock than a row of a dozen of simple paddocks.

It should be said that Berlin's ungulate collection is a league of its own, and that there are few enclosures that are inadequate. Besides, TP Berlin also has several exhibits that I'm very fond of, such as the camel paddocks and the enclosures in the mountain area. Yet for me none of the enclosures in Berlin match the quality of either one of Burgers' main hoofstock enclosures (Safari and Rimba), though as I said before the gap in enclosure quality is not a wide as the gap in collection size and diversity.

Should TP Berlin win this one? Absolutely, no doubt. But 3-0 for me signifies a complete walk-over*, where the other zoo has very little to offer. And for me that cannot be said from Burgers' ungulate department.

* I am aware that others may have a different opinion on the matter.

CGSwans, Haasje, Ursus and 2 others like this.
  2. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm going to say that Burgers is the better zoo, primarily because of animal welfare. However, it's hard to disacknowledge the sheer amount of species that Tierpark Berlin has.