Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #13: Hamburg v Mulhouse

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 11 Mar 2018.

?

Reptiles & co: Hamburg or Mulhouse?

Poll closed 18 Mar 2018.
  1. Hamburg

100.0%
  2. Mulhouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And the category is... reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates. I know nothing about Mulhouse's collection, but I felt Hamburg's aquarium building is one of the most impressive parts of an otherwise somewhat disappointing zoo.

The concept behind this poll is explained here:
    ZooChat Cup

In summary, the rules of the game are as follows:
    - You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the category above.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and whatever else you can think of. You don't have to have visited both zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - Voting closes in seven days.
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything other than the relevant category.

2. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't visited Hamburg, but purely based on your comment about their aquarium building they win, as Mulhouse has almost no reptiles etc.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Haven't visited Mulhouse sofar but from what I found-out sofar the reptile-collection is very small ( mainly tortoises ) an the zoo doesn't have an aquarium. Have visited Hagenbeck Hamburg already a number of times and am alway impressed by the reptile-collection and the aquarium so mine vote in this case goes surtainly to Hamburg.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mulhouse barely has any reptiles, they have a nice building for tortoises with loads of radiated tortoises, but that is basically it, apart from a small boring crocodile enclosure an a Malagasy boa.

5. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Finally, a match in which I've visited both of the competing zoos!

Mulhouse can beat Hagenbeck when it comes to tortoises, but when it comes to any other group of reptiles, Hagenbeck has a much superior collection. With the exception of the dwarf crocodile exhibit, Mulhouse's exhibits are fine, but so are the majority of Hagenbeck's exhibits, and the latter's Nile crocodile exhibit beats anything Mulhouse can offer.

Hagenbeck gets an easy win here.

EDIT: I just realize it's not only reptiles, but also amphibians, fish, and invertebrates. Poor, poor Mulhouse... Mulhouse would have been able to hold its own against Hagenbeck in any other category, and then it draws the one where it's ridiculously outmatched.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2018
    CGSwans likes this.
  6. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

Oi, this is a bad match for Mulhouse. I any other category I would most likely vote for Mulhouse (on birds I might have to think a little longer, I guess) but reptiles?? One argument: Hamburgs tropical aquarium complex - and my vote goes Hamburg