Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #18: Cabarceno vs Edinburgh

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 18 Mar 2018.

?

Ectotherms: Cabarceno or Edinburgh?

Poll closed 22 Mar 2018.
  1. Cabarceno

68.2%
  2. Edinburgh

31.8%
  1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

Sorry, but given this statement may convince a few people to vote for Edinburgh, I have to ask the obvious question - is Edinburgh's husbandry up to date?

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

@pipaluk :

pipaluk likes this.
  3. pipaluk

Thanks, so poor husbandry at Cabarceno shouldn't be a consideration then! Edinburgh's poor collection has to lose surely!
    This comes from someone who has never been to Cabarceno & despite its decline doesn't think Edinburgh is awful, but if for it's cold blooded collection to beat anywhere, the opposition has to be terrible, which Cabarceno clearly isn't!

Last edited: 19 Mar 2018
  4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Oh, the husbandry and exhibitry is hugely important of course! I was making a point purely in response to Vision. Nobody seems to have been prepared to argue this one on the merits of anything other than collection, and I haven't visited Cabarceno myself, so as always I'll be going off others' opinions.

CGSwans likes this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Most of the amphibians/fish/reptiles at Edinburgh are either offshow or used for education experiences to the best of my recollection - in terms of onshow exhibits we're talking a single antechamber in the entrance to Brilliant Birds containing a small number of amphibians and invertebrates, a small glass vivarium in a cubby-hole next to the African Hunting Dogs containing leopard gecko, a glass vivarium above the Red River Hogs containing Taiwan Beauty Snake and the new Wee Beasties exhibit in the Education Building.

The latter contains the following I believe:

Egg-eating snake
    Blue Poison Dart Frog
    Lesser Hedgehog Tenrec
    Axolotl
    Fregate Island Giant Beetle
    Chilean Rose Tarantula
    Forest Scorpion
    Natal Dwarf Chameleon
    Giant African Land Snail
    Partula Snail
    Tanzanian Red-Legged Millipede

As the majority of these were in the aforementioned Brilliant Birds exhibit, it may no longer exist.

6. pipaluk

Thanks for the information Dave. It explains why I couldn't recall seeing them. Looks like a clear defeat for Edinburgh if most of its list isnt even onshow!