Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #19: Miami vs Cleveland

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by pachyderm pro, 14 Jun 2018.

?

Ungulates

Poll closed 18 Jun 2018.
  1. Miami

100.0%
  2. Cleveland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My schedule the next week or so is pretty packed, so don't be surprised if the matches these next few days are posted later in the day rather than the morning. Anyways, Cleveland and Miami face off this category with, ungulates. Miami has dozens of large grazing fields for hoofstock from Asia and Africa, plus both species of elephant from the respective continents. Cleveland has African elephants and a fairly large Savannah complex.

Tomorrow: San Diego Zoo Safari Park vs Philadelphia

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This category isn't even close, as illustrated by the overwhelming support for Zoo Miami. That Florida establishment has a few dozen ungulate species, all in spacious paddocks that take up a good portion of the zoo's grounds. Cleveland has African Elephant Crossing, which only just opened in 2011, but the African Savanna there is merely adequate in terms of being a high-quality exhibit. Miami wins!

Brum likes this.
  3. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It has got to be Miami for me.

As Snowleopard has already pointed out, all of Miami's ungulates are in spacious enclosures, plus they have a wide selection of species. I found the exhibits to be a tad repetitive, but Miami is strong in this category. Cleveland looks like they have a nice Elephant exhibit, but Elephants are one of my least favourite animals so that doesn't really matter to me. All in all, Miami has the nicer species selection and better exhibits as well.

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would just like to say that the websites and maps of both of these collections give a decent overview of them both. This makes voting (from a European POV with no previous experience) a lot easier! ;)