Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #22: Dublin vs Wuppertal

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 22 Mar 2018.

?

Ectotherms: Dublin or Wuppertal?

Poll closed 26 Mar 2018.
  1. Dublin

4.5%
  2. Wuppertal

95.5%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And the category is... reptiles, fish, amphibians and invertebrates. Bad news for Dublin, one suspects.

ZooChat Cup

In summary, the rules of the game are as follows:
    - You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the category above.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and wherever else. You don't have to have visited both zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - Voting closes in four days
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything other than the relevant category.

Tomorrow: Beauval vs Lisbon.

dublinlion likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is also not exactly Wuppertal's strength, though they have a relatively small but fine aquarium + terrarium building. But as Dublin only has a few reptiles, it is an easy choice. Dublin could have been a nice outsider when it would be about primates or large carnivores only, but the collection is just too unbalanced.....

dublinlion, FunkyGibbon and CGSwans like this.
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's the risk the ABC zoos take.

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Wuppertal's Aquarium is also quite nice, and quite hot. A presumptive deserved victory.

5. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As I know little about wuppertal, it's Dublin for me. But I would have to agree that Dublin's collection is small, almost entirely abc, and they would struggle in any categorie against decent opposition. ( in this competition). The revamped reptile house is almost antiseptic clean and roomy.

6. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, one of the goals of this challenge is to learn about the zoos in question and not knowing about one of them seems like a poor excuse in my opinion. Maybe a quick look at the gallery or at zootierliste (or even asking a member who has visited, there seem to be quite some of them just above) could change your mind, who knows!

Now I'm not saying voting for your home zoo if you like what they are doing with ectotherms or because that's what your familiar with is necessarily bad but with a little research, I'm sure you can at least think about it in a different way. ;)

dublinlion and FunkyGibbon like this.
  7. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dublin does have some nice oddities like the desert crocodiles and forest dragons, so should definitely not be discounted.

However, Wuppertal has more reptiles, AND they also have amphibians, fish and invertebrates, including some nice species, so they win easily for me.

dublinlion likes this.
  8. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Zoo tycoon. Point taken. I should have stressed the fact that I have been to wuppertal (and liked it) and checked utube videos, but compared to a lifetime of dublin zoo, it's fair to say that my knowledge and memories of wuppertal is relatively weak. So I'm still supporting Dublin rather than disregarding other decent zoos, although my vote is hardly going to sway the result.

pipaluk and Mehdi like this.
  9. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

This is a hard choice for me.....

I have been looking hard for a reason to vote against Wuppertal :rolleyes: but all the back and forth did not really cut it. So I will give my vote to Wuppertal, a zoo that has become so underwhelming in a matter of 10 years, that it is breathtaking! :mad: