Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #3: Rostock v Zlin

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 27 Feb 2018.

?

Birds. Where should I go?

Poll closed 6 Mar 2018.
  1. Zlin

100.0%
  2. Rostock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zlin. Rostock. Birds. You know the drill by now.

The concept behind this poll is explained here:
    ZooChat Cup

In summary, the rules of the game are as follows:
    - You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the zoos' bird collections and exhibits.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and so on. You don't have to have visited both zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything outside the 'birds' category.
    - Voting closes in seven days.

Over to you.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With Birds this is a very easy choice for Zlin... Rostock doesn't have the rarities nor the number of species nor any bird enclosures that are better than their Czech counterpart...

3. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think Rostock's coastal aviary deserves a mention, but, yes, Zlin wins this round easily.

4. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zlín´s bird collecion is really superb. I´m really looking forward to which species have they prepared for the new african complex.

Mathijs likes this.
  5. CGSwans

I just looked at ZTL for Zlin, a collection I know little about. The bird collection really is exceptional.

There will obviously be a few of these lopsided contests in the first round. I'd be worried about it becoming boring but... well. Wait and see what the random list generator has waiting for us.

Mathijs likes this.
  6. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zlin surprised me massively when I visited in August, and this was mainly for their fantastic bird collection. The Guyana hall with its (freeroaming!) 4 icterid species and capuchinbirds is top-notch, and other species in the zoo like the black-legged seriemas, black curassows, kiwis, piping hornbills, milky storks, pygmy kingfishers (and many more!) only make it that much more attractive.

Besides the species themselves, the bird exhibits are also all beautiful. Most walkthrough/walk-in aviaries (the stork and vulture aviaries in the Asian section, macaw aviary in the South American section, stork aviary in the African section...) are all relatively simple structurally, but because they are so wonderfully integrated in their surroundings (through theming or just very intelligent usage of using the naturally existing forest around them as a background) they truly offer a wonderful experience. The row of aviaries for hornbills, turacos, parrots and ravens near the Savanna left me a little bit uninspired, but they definitely have their charm as well and seem excellent for their inhabitants.

I've not been to rostock, but a bit of digging on zootierliste, the gallery and google gives me a view of what the collection is like. I'd love to visit it, but I'm sure my vote would stay with Zlin!

Mathijs and KevinVar like this.
  7. CGSwans

Actually, I must ask. Does Zlin have Waldrapp bin chickens?

8. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@CGSwans, according to zootierliste they used to have them but don't anymore (they left in 2009). I don't remember seeing any!

CGSwans likes this.
  9. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

that hornbill collection in Ziln takes the cake

10. CGSwans

That clinches it. I'm voting for Zlin.

Vision likes this.
  11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not having visited either collection, I can only go by the ZTL listings for each - and it is an easy choice; Zlin.

Mathijs likes this.
  12. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looked at ZTL and the gallery and it’s an easy win for Zlin. Their bird collection is really incredible!

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zlin gets my vote, I had a look on ztl at Rostock but Zlin is way better for birds.

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've not been to either , but it didn't take long to reach a decision after a quick look at ZTL . Rostock was unlucky to be judged on birds against Zlin, there were several it may have competed with . No contest really

Mathijs likes this.
  15. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have been to Rostock quite recently, but not to Zlin, so I'm also just going by Zootierliste for the latter. The only area where Rostock has Zlin beaten is that they seem to have a more comprehensive waterfowl collection than Zlin, but beyond that Zlin has an obviously more varied collection and a lot more rarities (spectacled eider is IIRC the only avian rarity that Rostock has).

Also, Zlin seems to have a lot of lovely bird exhibits. Even though the coastal aviary at Rostock is really nice, the zoo is still pulled down by the fact that practically every other bird exhibit is fairly average and uninspiring.

Rostock doesn't have them either, though, unless what you meant was that if Zlin had them, they would be pushed down to Rostock's level.

16. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After what everyone else has said about Zlin's bird collection, I decided to vote for Zlin.

17. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

I have not been to Zlin yet but I seriously do not envision birds when thinking of Rostock. Your post have me convinced I am voting for Zlin. And I now think I should visit!