Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #7: Barcelona v Dresden

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 4 Mar 2018.

?

Everything ectothermic: Barcelona or Dresden?

Poll closed 11 Mar 2018.
  1. Barcelona

42.1%
  2. Dresden

57.9%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And the topic is... reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates! Think of this topic as covering all the species Berlin Zoo might exhibit in its Aquarium building.

Perhaps the best match-up yet, I think. Barcelona has a reptile collection of Europe-wide significance, and I thought it was held in pretty good surroundings. But going purely by ZTL Dresden ripostes with a substantial reptile collection of its own *and* an aquarium building. This'll be interesting.

The concept behind this poll is explained here:
    ZooChat Cup

In summary, the rules of the game are as follows:
    - You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the category above.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and wherever else. You don't have to have visited both zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything other than the relevant category.
    - Voting closes in seven days.

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After checking Zootierliste, I'd say Barcelona is getting my vote for it's many species of non-mammals and birds.

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@TheWalrus Quantity isn't always a guarantee for quality. I've been to both zoos in person, also behind the scenes. Barcelona does sport a great variety of reptiles and is one of the most prolific breeders of Komodo dragons among European zoos. However, many of the reptile tanks and enclosures are rather on the small side for the animals kept within, substrate /hiding spots etc are suboptimal in some cases...
    Dresden isn't perfect, but several of the enclosures (like Max's former exhibit, now used for breeding Orlitia borneensis, or his final exhibit, now used for the Tomistoma "DeGaulle") are more align to modern reptile husbandry standards than the ones at Barcelona.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2018
    FunkyGibbon likes this.
  4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

5. Batto

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  6. CGSwans

When was your last visit to Barcelona? I thought the reptile house there held up rather well. Enclosures weren't Berlin or Zurich standard but comfortably at the general European level.

7. Batto

If you had visited Barcelona's reptile house in the company of various well-established international reptile vets [we did a komodo dragon workshop there], like I did back in '15, you might have changed your conception regarding "comfortably". ;)

8. CGSwans

Perhaps I would have.

9. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

I have been to both zoos and like them, but for totally different reasons. In this category my vote will be Dresden. It is a purely personal decision. Dresden has something called the underground zoo which gives you a rather unique opportunity to experience to see for example a spotted salamander or a king snake. Zero fancy shmancy set up but I had never been in such an 'enclosure-area'. And I would highly recommend a visit for this alone. Plus the river turtle.

10. CGSwans

The lowest scoring vote so far (only 12 votes) also happens to be the closest, at six votes each. I'm still leaning Barcelona (just) but am holding off for now: anybody want to support or oppose Batto's argument for Dresden?