Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup S2 Match #23: Saint Louis vs Sedgwick County

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by pachyderm pro, 18 Jun 2018.

?

Birds

Poll closed 22 Jun 2018.
  1. Saint Louis

47.4%
  2. Sedgwick County

52.6%
  1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two seeds go head to head this match this time with birds. Saint Louis includes a historic bird house, and the state of the art Penguin and Puffin Coast habitat. Sedgwick County includes a tropical building with many birds, a South America section with multiple species as well and a penguin pool.

Also a happy fathers day to any dads out there! :)

Tomorrow: Los Angeles vs Detroit

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Saint Louis has the Horned Guans, Northern Carmine Bee-Eater, King Eider, Great Indian Hornbill, and Golden Whiteeyes but that's it really for odd species afaik meanwhile Sedgwick County has Golden and Saipan Whiteeyes, Buffon's Macaw, Collared Finchbill, Greater Yellow-Headed Vulture, Grey Gull, Freckled Duck, Dollarbird, Australian Wood Duck, Argentine Ruddy Duck, Wonga Pigeon, Pesquet's Parrot, Oriole Warbler, Peruvian Thick-Knee, Beautiful Fruit-Dove, and the list goes on! I think it's really hands down Sedgwick here.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is a sentiment that I can agree with, as looking at full species lists for the two zoos there really is no comparison.

Saint Louis (mostly contained in this post):
    Species List for Saint Louis Zoo

Sedgwick:
    Sedgwick County Zoo[Animals & Exhibits - Animal Search]

Further rarities at Sedgwick that Thylo didn’t mention include golden-headed quetzal, Taiwan yuhina, and bush stone curlew. Against most other zoos Saint Louis would win but Sedgwick, for such a little-known zoo (among zoo nerds) is clearly the winner here.

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I don't know how the bird exhibits are at Sedgwick County, but for anyone taking exhibits into account Saint Louis has Penguin & Puffin Coast to back it up in this fight ;)

Additionally, Saint Louis has a historic Bird House (which has received mixed reviews on this site, but which I enjoy very much), a pleasantly beautiful bird garden and especially beautiful crane exhibit, and the 1904 Flight Cage replicating a cypress swamp with numerous species of waterfowl.

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This was a tough one (for an outsider, at least), both zoos are in my (imaginary) "Top 5 To Visit, USA List"* and I've only gone for Sedgwick County because of the two compelling arguments above. If anyone can expand on @Coelacanth18's argument then I may be tempted to switch.

*If anyone is interested then the other three are Columbus, Omaha and San Diego.

ThylacineAlive and snowleopard like this.
  6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

List of birds at Saint Louis:
    Sacred Ibis
    Superb Starling
    Red-Billed Hornbill
    Kenyan Crested Guineafowl
    Domestic Budgerigar
    Domestic Chicken
    American Crow
    Barred Owl
    Red-Tailed Hawk
    Humboldt Penguin
    King Penguin
    Southern Rockhopper Penguin
    Gentoo Penguin
    King Eider
    Tufted Puffin
    Horned Puffin
    American Flamingo
    Wood Duck
    American White Pelican
    Black-Necked Swan
    Red-Crested Pochard
    Egyptian Goose
    Aleutian Cackling Goose
    Canada Goose
    Bar-Headed Goose
    Swan Goose
    Great Egret
    Black-Crowned Night Heron
    Chestnut teal
    Great Hornbill
    Toco Toucan
    Bateleur
    Red-Legged Seriema
    Helmeted Currasow
    Tawny Frogmouth
    Guam Kingfisher
    Magnificent Ground Pigeon
    Cape Thick-Knee
    Palawan Peacock Pheasant
    Bali Mynah
    Luzon Bleeding Heart
    Laughing Kookaburra
    White-Headed Buffalo Weaver
    Rhinoceros Hornbill
    Northern Carmine Bee-Eater
    Spur-Winged Plover
    Horned Guan
    Ringed Teal
    Sunbittern
    Edward's Pheasant
    Golden-Breasted Starling
    Victoria Crowned Pigeon
    Burrowing Owl
    Elegant Crested Tinamou
    Buff-Crested Bustard
    Magpie Robin
    White-Cheeked Bulbul
    Crested Wood-Partridge
    King Vulture
    Cinereous Vulture
    Bald Eagle
    Cabot's Tragopan
    Great Horned Owl
    White-Naped Crane
    Blue-Bellied Roller
    Gray-Winged Trumpeter
    Speckled Pigeon
    White-Throated Ground-Dove
    Roseate Spoonbill
    Bufflehead
    Yellow-Crowned Night Heron
    Snowy Egret
    Northern Bobwhite
    American White Ibis
    Cattle Egret
    Canvasback
    Green Heron
    Northern Shoveler
    Blue-Winged Teal
    Double-Crested Cormorant
    Northern Pintail
    Northern Cradinal
    Mourning Dove
    White-Throated Sparrow
    Saddle-Billed Stork
    East African Crowned Crane
    Sarus Crane
    Common Osrich
    Wattled Crane

STL studies bird diseases in the Galapagos and helps find ways to cure them. STL is also helping to establish a Humboldt Penguin reserve in Peru, and supports Horned Guan conservation. Saint Louis also works with Pacific Bird Conservation to help establish populations of island endemic birds in US zoos. STL and PBC are responsible for the AZA populations of Guam Kingfisher, Mariana Fruit Dove, Golden White-Eye, White-Throated Ground Dove, Saipan Briled White-Eye, Roufus Fan-Tail, and Tinian Monarch.

STL has a lot going for it. I will not vote for it now, but I will vote for STL unless someone has a reason I should vote for Sedwick County.

Coelacanth18 and Brum like this.
  7. jayjds2

PBC may be responsible, but STL is not. The primary species listed which STL can make a serious claim for involvement with are golden white-eye and white-throated ground dove. Saipan white eyes are kept by four institutions, and bred by two, one of which is Sedgwick, rather than STL, which does not keep the species. The programs for Tinian monarch and rufous fantail were practically dead ends from their starts, with extremely high mortality rates and the only reason the former still persists in American zoos is because of Memphis. I am unsure if the latter is still present in captivity at all, but if it is, it is not at STL.

Besides breeding Saipan white-eyes and otherwise participating in the Marianas Avifauna Conservation Plan with Pacific Bird Conservation, Sedgwick contributes to the establishment of the same Humboldt penguin reserve. Additionally, through the Guam rail Species Survival Plan they directly fund management programs for the species in the Marianas. Further efforts include donating to the Save the Cassowary campaign, supporting field conservation for the thick-billed parrot, and aiding the Johannesburg Zoo’s Wattled Crane Recovery Program.

Sedgwick’s diverse range of conservation programs, as well as superior collection allow it to be the clear winner in this competition.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree that there is a clear winner in this category...Saint Louis Zoo. I find these friendly competitions amusing but also informative as there are many ways to 'skin a cat' and thus many ways to rank zoos. Sedgwick County and Saint Louis are both superb, very complete zoological facilities and I'm a huge fan of both places. In fact, I'd argue that they are a couple of zoos that would both make it into my top 6 in the USA. The latest data from the International Zoo Yearbook funnily enough lists both zoos with the exact same number of bird species (150) but this category probably comes down to whether an individual is searching for rare taxa (Sedgwick County wins) or exhibit quality (Saint Louis wins).

I'm more of an exhibit guy and having visited literally hundreds of different zoos I must declare that Penguin & Puffin Coast at Saint Louis Zoo is one of the best bird exhibits ever built in the United States. Being incredibly close to penguins in a chilled environment with minimal barriers is an awe-inspiring experience and that single exhibit probably gives Saint Louis the win right then and there. Sedgwick County can have a whole flock of quetzals and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Also at Saint Louis Zoo is Cypress Swamp, which is a spectacular old aviary from the 1904 World's Fair, and it is one of the most historically vital structures to be found in any American zoo. Then there is the 1930 Bird House, the surrounding 2-acre Bird Garden and several scenic waterfowl ponds. Saint Louis is actually a GREAT zoo to see birds in wonderful habitats.

Sedgwick County Zoo has the same number of bird species as Saint Louis Zoo but apparently more rarities and for the most part the exhibits are very good. The 1977 'Jungle' rainforest building is impressive and filled with bird-life, including fairly recent additions such as Guam Rail, Micronesian Kingfisher and Birds of the Marianas Islands. The Australia-South America part of the zoo is essentially a 70,000 square foot covered zone that has plenty of choice bird species and I can recall a free-flying King Vulture from my 2010 visit. Penguin Cove (2007) is top-notch and I remember seeing a Saddle-billed Stork in the spacious Okapi enclosure. However, nothing that Sedgwick County has in terms of exhibits can compete with the tremendous quality at Saint Louis.

CGSwans, TZDugong and Brum like this.
  9. jayjds2

Are you? That didn’t stop you from voting for SDZ in terms of species ;)
    For the visitors, maybe... but not necessarily for the penguins. The large visitor path obstructs the total space the penguins would have otherwise, and as a result they only have thin strips of land and water on either side of the path as opposed to the large area they would otherwise have if the visitor path were off to the side. Furthermore, the amount of visitors clearly puts undue stress on the penguins and having been to Saint Louis many, many times I’ve almost always seen visitors harassing the birds. Despite this constant issue I rarely see zoo staff present to intervene and with just one species infrequently breeding in the exhibit the unfortunate effects of this are clear. I do not disagree that it is a one-of-a-kind visitor experience, but I do not think it is justified to be one of America’s top bird exhibits.
    Even for people who aren’t bird fans, quetzals turn heads. Put them in their largest exhibit in an American zoo (and the most lushly planted one too!) and zoo nerds will flock to it.

10. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't been to either zoo, are sedgwick county's exhibits bad?

11. snowleopard

@jayjds2 I still think that San Diego Zoo's reptile exhibits are terrific. The 1930s-era Reptile House has terrariums much larger than many others that I've seen, plus all of the outdoor yards in that general area are simply spectacular. The Slender-snouted Crocodile and Gharial pools are brilliant. San Diego has a world-class reptile collection and most of those species are in exhibits that are excellent. That zoo has the taxa and the quality! :)

Interesting to know that information about Penguin & Puffin Coast. From a visitor point of view it is an A+ experience.

Sedgwick County is a fine zoo with a great bird collection but I honestly feel that Saint Louis has the same number of species and is leagues ahead in terms of the quality of the exhibits. Actually, Sedgwick County as an entire zoo has many very good exhibits but not many truly world-class ones. The zoo probably doesn't have a single complex that would make a 'top exhibit' list even though taken as a whole the zoo is a major, underrated facility.

12. snowleopard

Sedgwick County Zoo's bird exhibits are all decent, with 2007's Penguin Cove perhaps being the highlight. However, there is no historic 1930 Bird House like the one at Saint Louis Zoo, or the 1904 aviary, or the outdoor Bird Garden, or the waterfowl ponds, or Penguin & Puffin Coast.

BigNate likes this.
  13. jayjds2

The fact that the bird house is from the 1930s doesn’t excuse the fact that most of the exhibits are sterile, with bland backgrounds, devoid of plant life. The 1904 aviary maybe be old and pretty, but that doesn’t excuse its relative emptiness. The fact that the outdoor aviaries are in a Bird Garden doesn’t excuse the fact that the ones for vultures and eagles are so small that they’re no more capable of flight than the penguins and pinioned waterfowl elsewhere in the zoo.

BigNate and ThylacineAlive like this.
  14. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe the "Jungle" (now "The Tropics") has been renovated since your last visit to Wichita, no? I remember seeing it in 2013 before the renovation and it is much more enjoyable now. There is a lot of natural light flowing in and the bird collection within is top-notch. That being said, It's hard to beat the historical exhibits at Saint Louis (and Puffin Penguin Coast). While Saint Louis has a couple of great rarities, I personally find Sedgwick's bird collection slightly more interesting.

Incidentally, Sedgwick's website is not up to date.
    Here is a list I've compiled that should be reasonably up to date.

Bar-headed Goose
    Red-breasted Goose
    Cape Barren Goose
    Freckled Duck
    Black Swan
    Coscoroba Swan
    Orinoco Goose
    Ruddy Shelduck
    Radjah Shelduck
    Ringed Teal
    Mandarin Duck
    Maned Duck
    American Wigeon
    Chiloe Wigeon
    Blue-winged Teal
    Cinnamon Teal
    Red Shoveler
    New Zealand Shoveler
    White-cheeked Pintail
    Northern Pintail
    Puna Teal
    Baikal Teal
    Marbled Teal
    Red-crested Pochard
    Hooded Merganser
    Scaly-sided Merganser
    Ruddy Duck
    Lake Duck
    Blue-billed Curassow
    Crested Partridge
    Edward’s Pheasant
    Wild Turkey
    American Flamingo
    Greater Flamingo
    Humboldt Penguin
    White Stork
    Saddle-billed Stork *off exhibit
    Wood Stork
    Great White Pelican
    Pink-backed Pelican
    Boat-billed Heron
    Straw-necked Ibis
    Puna Ibis
    Roseate Spoonbill
    King Vulture
    Bald Eagle
    Sunbittern
    Guam Rail
    Black Crake
    Black Crowned-Crane
    Demoiselle Crane
    Florida Sandhill Crane
    Peruvian Thick-knee
    Bush Thick-knee
    Masked Lapwing
    Gray Gull
    Inca Tern
    African Collared-Dove
    Tambourine Dove
    Crested Pigeon
    Wonga Pigeon
    Crested Quail-Dove
    Nicobar Pigeon
    Luzon Bleeding-heart
    Green-naped Pheasant-Pigeon
    Victoria Crowned-Pigeon
    Mariana Fruit-Dove
    Beautiful Fruit-Dove
    Black-naped Fruit-Dove
    Bruce’s Green Pigeon
    Great Blue Turaco
    Red-crested Turaco
    Crested Coua
    Guira Cuckoo
    Tawny Frogmouth
    Speckled Mousebird
    Golden-headed Quetzal
    Green Woodhoopoe
    Wrinkled Hornbill *off exhibit
    Blue-crowned Motmot
    Laughing Kookaburra
    Guam Kingfisher
    Blue-bellied Roller
    Dollarbird *off exhibit
    Green Aracari
    Red-legged Seriema
    Kea
    Palm Cockatoo
    Galah
    Salmon-crested Cockatoo
    White Cockatoo
    Pesquet’s Parrot
    Regent Parrot
    Grand Eclectus Parrot
    Crimson Rosella
    Eastern Rosella
    Pale-headed Rosella
    Blue-headed Parrot
    Red-crowned Parrot
    Yellow-naped Parrot
    Yellow-shouldered Parrot
    Hyacinth Macaw
    Thick-billed Parrot
    Sun Parakeet
    Yellow-collared Macaw
    Blue-and-Yellow Macaw
    Blue-throated Macaw
    Great Green Macaw
    Scarlet Macaw
    Red-and-Green Macaw
    Red-fronted Macaw
    Golden Parakeet
    Spangled Cotinga
    Blue-faced Honeyeater
    White-breasted Woodswallow
    Inca Jay
    Collared Finchbill
    Common Bulbul
    Oriole Warbler
    Taiwan Yuhina
    Golden White-eye
    Bridled White-eye *off exhibit
    Chinese Hwamei
    Scarlet-faced Liocichla *off exhibit
    Red-billed Leiothrix
    Asian Fairy-Bluebird
    Snowy-capped Robin-Chat
    Grosbeak Starling
    Violet-backed Starling
    Golden-breasted Starling
    Emerald Starling
    Red-capped Cardinal
    Blue-gray Tanager
    Cinereous Finch
    Venezuelan Troupial

ThylacineAlive, snowleopard and Brum like this.
  15. Coelacanth18

There is water beneath the path which allows penguins to swim from one side to the other, so technically the path does not obstruct the penguins' space. Also, the exhibit was designed so that penguins surround the visitors on both sides. We can have different opinions about whether that was a good decision or not, but if they hadn't done it that way it would be a very different exhibit.

I won't comment on visitor harassment of penguins or zoo staff's competency in dealing with it, as I have never witnessed this being a problem and have no knowledge of how it might be affecting the animals.

You say sterile, I say simplistic ;) The lack of plant life makes it easier to view the birds. I don't know how this affects individual species from a privacy perspective, but the House has always been very quiet when I've been inside (it doesn't seem to attract as many visitors as the Reptile and Primate Houses) so that hopefully reduces potential stress.

The last time I visited, the Flight Cage had a lot of active and highly visible birds in it, so either our experiences or interpretations of "empty" must be somewhat different.

The puny enclosures for birds of prey are my major complaint about Saint Louis bird-wise... I wish they would renovate that end of the Bird House and make one large aviary for a single species of raptor, or maybe two smaller (but still large) enclosures for hornbills and seriema.

TZDugong likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

And Hooded Merganser.

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm a bit surprised to see how much visitor pleasure if being put over animal welfare here.. While obviously I highly doubt that Saint Louis does not treat their animals well, a penguin exhibit designed in a way that causes stress for the animals and bird enclosures lacking the highly necessary plant-based amenities birds need sound like good reasons to knock the zoo down a few pegs, regardless of how much easier they are to view or how good-looking the enclosure is.

I also find it funny how conservation and the founding of captive breeding programs for endangered species were both dismissed readily when Atlanta was beating San Diego in that category, but for Saint Louis it's falsely brought up very quickly...

~Thylo

18. Coelacanth18

Without making assumptions about who this was referring to, I'd like to clarify my opinions on animal welfare in this situation. They are implied somewhat in my original post:

Animal welfare is a tricky situation to handle, IMO. It can be a heavy statement, leveling a charge of animal welfare compromising against a zoo, and I prefer not to do that without concrete evidence. While I don't doubt the credibility of @jayjds2's account or the logical soundness of their deductions, neither of those are evidence and neither are enough to make me comfortable jumping on board with the conclusion that animal welfare is being significantly impacted in this particular case. This doesn't mean that I don't care about the well-being of the birds; it just means I feel like I don't have enough information to make any kind of judgement call about it.

19. Coelacanth18

With 5.5 hours left to go, this vote is currently tied at 8-8, with one of the Saint Louis votes not being counted per the zero-posts-and-no-explanation rule... if @Choco115 would like to join the conversation to prevent a rematch, now would be the time.

20. birdsandbats

How can you tell who has voted?