Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup S2 Match #24: Los Angeles vs Detroit

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by pachyderm pro, 19 Jun 2018.

?

Ungulates

Poll closed 23 Jun 2018.
  1. Los Angeles

100.0%
  2. Detroit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To end off round two, the last zoos in this round go against one another in a very interesting category, ungulates. LA has a fairly large collection of species, most notably Mountain tapirs. Though they are all kept in smallish, barren paddocks. Elephants of Asia is a notable exception. Detroit won this category last round when pinned against Cinci, but can they pull off another when with their predominately African collection?

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Finally a matchup in which I’ve visited both zoos!

I’ve already said my thoughts on Detroit’s ungulates. Link here: ZooChat Cup S2 Match #16: Cincinnati vs Detroit. Still haven’t quite found out how to link to a certain post.

Los Angeles then. The collection is tremendous
    , Mountain Tapirs are undoubtedly the highlight, but the overall collection is great as well. Most of the exhibits are as Pachyderm Pro explained, small barren paddocks, although the Okapi exhibit and the paddocks along the shuttle road are quite nice. Exhibits for Indian Rhinoceros and Giraffes are the worst I’ve seen. I found the Elephant paddock nice, although I feel like it could be a lot better.

As for who I’m voting for, I’m stuck in an interesting situation. For this thread I’ve voted Detroit, as their exhibit quality is much higher, but if I could only go to one of these zoos with the sole intention of seeing Ungulates then it would have to be LA, because of well, the Mountain Tapirs.

CGSwans likes this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While I agree most of LA's ungulate enclosures leave a lot to be desired, along with the elephants and Okapi the goral, warty pig, and Calamian Deer enclosures are all pretty good. LA wins species-wise in an clear landslide, though exhibit-wise the winner seems to be pretty comfortably Detroit. An interesting bind.

~Thylo

TZDugong likes this.
  4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the lower right corner of every post is a number, in your case #2 , if you click on that, you will get an option to link directly to your post (upper one), or give the link a certain title (lower one).

ZooBinh, ThylacineAlive and TZDugong like this.