Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup S2 Match #9: Memphis vs Tampa

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by pachyderm pro, 29 May 2018.

?

Birds

Poll closed 2 Jun 2018.
  1. Memphis

87.5%
  2. Tampa

12.5%
  1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two balanced mid sized zoo face off this match, and the category, birds. Memphis has a specialized Tropical bird house with dozens of species separated in several glass fronted exhibits as well as two large free flight areas. There additional pools for pelicans and African penguins, two species of flamingo, plus a budgie house that is of course walkthrough. Then there's Tampa, which also features a large walkthrough tropical aviary by the entrance that contains dozens of species as well. There are also smaller walk in aviaries elsewhere in the zoo that are Sulawesi and Australasian themed. Additionally there also pelican and African penguin pools here as well, a hornbill aviary with multiple species, plus a walkthrough lorikeet aviary where one can by cups of nectar to feed the birds.

The concept behind this poll is explained here: ZooChat Cup Season 2

Tomorrow: Atlanta vs San Diego Zoo

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have a species list for both collections? I am still indecisive about my vote, although I am currently leaning towards Tampa.

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

IMO this is an easy win for Memphis. Tampa's only really special exhibit bird-wise is the large netted lake with Shoebill stork, but Memphis has quite better conservation initiatives and a larger diversity of species. Particularly notable for Memphis is bird conservation in the Marianas, particularly Guam, Tinian, and Saipan. It is of note that they are currently the only zoo in the world keeping Tinian monarch, and a pair can be seen on exhibit in the room that also houses white-tailed trogon, purple-throated fruitcrow, Sahel paradise-whydah, blue-naped mousebird, and multiple other rarities. Elsewhere in the house is the only pair of yellow-casqued hornbills in the US.

Throughout the zoo, there is a still fantastic collection of other birds: wedge-tailed eagle and tawny owl in the bird show, and Cape griffon vultures in the Zambezi River Hippo Camp (adjacent to a nice walk-through aviary). Tampa's collection is also nice all around, but it can not match the five(?) species that Memphis holds exclusively. Therefore the match is easily a victory for Memphis.

4. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All of this made me convinced enough to vote for Memphis instead. Thanks for the info @jayjds2 .

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just want to say that these two zoos have shocking websites; I can't get either map to work and if their species lists are correct then they're both really lacking in birds... ;)

6. pachyderm pro

This exhibit no longer exists, however I still think even without it there is more than enough of an argument for why they should win. I have some notes as far as species lists go from my Florida trip a few months back, I can post them when I have the chance. And also @Brum is completely correct with the assessment of these zoos websites. They are really quite head scratching.

Brum likes this.
  7. jayjds2

Memphis is one of the leaders in conservation of birds in the Marianas Islands. They have been extremely proactive in breeding programs (as the only zoo to breed Tinian monarch), translocation of species to new islands, surveying existing populations of most endangered bird species in the area, and bringing new species and bloodlines into captivity as necessary (such as a recent expedition which brought back much needed blood for golden white-eye, as well as establishing Saipan white-eye Z. (conspicillatus) saypani in captivity). Compared to Tampa, who does no in situ work with birds at all, as far as I can tell...

BigNate and Brum like this.
  8. pachyderm pro

Excuse me while I switch my vote...

(I will still post a somewhat species list about Tampa though)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What happened to it? When I visited in 2013 it was possibly the best single enclosure in the zoo.

I'm voting Memphis, but I do want to note that Lowry Park is the only zoo in the US to breed Shoebill (I don't recall San Diego working it out) and their large walk-through aviary is a lot nicer than @jayjds2 is giving it credit for ;)

~Thylo

10. jayjds2

Yes, though now that the aviary they bred in no longer exists, fat chance of that happening again...

11. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I adore Shoebills, so Tampa would’ve gotten my vote, but now that I know Tampa doesn’t have them Memphis wins easily.

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

13. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does Tampa no longer keep Shoebills or do they just not have the aviary? I don't understand why they'd get rid of it.

~Thylo

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't know anything about the aviary, but they seem to still have Shoebill(s). The following link (which might not work for any future readers) was posted 20 days ago and is for an intern position, and it specifically mentions Shoebill.
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/aviary-internship-at-tampa-s-lowry-park-zoo-688588153

Description: While working in the Aviary Department, interns will learn about the husbandry and behavior of a diverse collection of avian species including, but not limited to; African Penguins, Shoebill Storks, Martial Eagles, 6 species of African and Asian Hornbills, 8 species of Parrots, and 3 species of Cranes. Interns who successfully complete the 14 week internship will get a better understanding of the daily routine of a Bird Keeper.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  15. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What 5 species would those be?

16. jayjds2

Yellow-casqued hornbill, Tinian monarch, Sahel paradise whydah, tawny owl, and wedge-tailed eagle.

birdsandbats likes this.
  17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Found out that the last two are false - World Bird Sanctuary keeps both species.

18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited the World Bird Sanctuary (just outside of St. Louis) in 2014 and even though it has been 4 years it is kind of neat to look back at the avian species on-show during my visit. A few genuine rarities!

Bird Species List (40 species): Andean Condor, Sandhill Crane, Kookaburra, Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, White-Tailed Sea Eagle, Long-Crested Eagle, Osprey, Red-Tailed Hawk, Krider’s Red-Tailed Hawk, White Hawk, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Swainson’s Hawk, Harris’ Hawk, Rough-Legged Hawk, Great Horned Owl, Short-Eared Owl, Snowy Owl, Eastern Screech Owl, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Mottled Owl, Tawny Owl, European Barn Owl, Barred Owl, Peregrine Falcon, American Kestrel, Turkey Vulture, Hooded Vulture, Augur Buzzard, American Crow, Common Raven, White-Necked Raven, American White Pelican, Brown Pelican, Thick-Billed Parrot, Homing Pigeon, Royal Palm Turkey, Araucana Chicken, Cochin Bantam Chicken and Polish Chicken.

ThylacineAlive and birdsandbats like this.
  19. jayjds2

The animals in question were the same currently at WBS; at the time, they were on loan.

birdsandbats likes this.