Join our zoo community

ZooChat Discord Server?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Fallax, 26 Sep 2017.

1. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hey everyone! So the chatroom is hardly ever active so I had an idea. Why don't we make a discord server for ZooChat? Discord is an app (also on desktop browser) which can be used for chatting also you can make different channels where you can talk about different things. It also has voice chat that you can join if you want but my idea would be for text channels mainly. You can post pictures and videos and have different roles for people like admins and moderators which have special permissions. Also you can add custom emoji to the server! Here is an example I made:

[​IMG] Here is a link just in case (image in preview wouldn't load: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet)

Tell me what you guys think of this idea and if it would be practical!

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yeah, I'm currently evaluating Discord as a chatroom replacement.

I wasn't really happy with the capabilities of IRC, so decided to implement Slack instead - but then came across limitations of that platform too, since it is designed for business use rather than community use and doesn't have any moderation facilities and such.

Discord gives us a lot more control over who can post and has moderation capabilities too - and even though it is intended for gaming communities, it is also widely used by other types of communities as well.

I will need to do some development work to get it fully integrated into the site, which isn't going to happen until after I launch the new version of ZooChat in a few months.

So yes - I do intend to implement Discord (unless I find something better in the meantime), but probably not until later this year.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's awesome! I'm sure the new ZooChat will be great too.

4. Simon Hampel

FYI - I'll start some new threads about the new site and upcoming functionality shortly - have a heap of other things to take care of first.

LaughingDove likes this.
  5. Captain

Captain New Member

Did this ever become a thing?

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Nope :p

7. Simon Hampel

Not yet.

Need to get the site upgraded to the new version of the software first. I'm still working on that.

It is still very much my intention to implement a Discord server for text chat. The reason I don't just start a Discord server on its own is that it needs to be fully integrated into the forum software so that we can control who is accessing it and keep trolls and other troublemakers out.

Coelacanth18 likes this.