Join our zoo community

ZooChat Etiquette

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by savethelephant, 14 Apr 2015.

1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well I was going through some of my threads and I saw Benosaurus mentioned an interesting topic for a thread. He bascially said how maybe there could be a thread on how members of ZooChat should act. I thought this was a great idea so here it is.
    There's just one rule-No pointing fingers as I don't want this to become an arguement that becomes locked.

So anyways, just share whatever you think would be proper to do on ZooChat

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I'll just point out here that when you sign up to ZooChat, you do agree to the terms and conditions of the site. These include the members’ code of conduct. These terms are accessible by clicking the "Terms of Use" link at the bottom of any ZooChat page (which take you here: Terms of Use and Site Rules).

3. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well that sums it up all right there.:rolleyes:
    Anyone want to add on their own personal preferences?

Last edited: 14 Apr 2015
  4. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No spamming or using improper grammar.

5. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Try not to make obvious spelling mistakes (I've already spotted a couple on this thread).

6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just noticed on the site T + C page that there is a rule forbidding you to post pictures of anyone, even if you have their permission. All I can say is zoogiraffe is screwed! :p :D

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now, now Macaw16 let's not forget the last time you brought up this subject... ;)

8. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Errm...OK then. Rules are rules, but they don't advise on how to be a good member.To be honest I still feel like a new member on here and only occasionally post anything, but here goes;

-Don't go round correcting people on small insignificant spelling/grammar mistakes, especially if that member's first language isn't English, because you'll end up looking like the fool (I mean seriously who do you think you are). However, if the post is unreadable then, of course, politely asking them to repost/edit it is fine. Just don't ridicule people.

-Remember this ain't Myface or Twitbook.

-Don't post things like 'great pic' or 'nice shot' 100 times a day. There's nothing wrong with appreciating a good photo, but limit that to around 5 per day.

-Someone wants to ID a photo. You could A.) Do some proper research to help find out what it is or B.) Wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to ID it (my preferred option). Be helpful, don't just guess.

-If you've been to a collection and want to upload some pics; try not to post more than 3 or 4 of the same subject (I've been guilty of this). It's a bit annoying when you open a gallery and there's 20 photos of a Meerkat at different angles.

-Try not to post for the sake of posting. Make sure the majority of your posts provide useful information and add something to the discussion.

-Remember it's a fact that people have different opinions. Variety is the spice of life and is what makes the world such an interesting place. Discuss your viewpoint in a decent manner, and remember that the person who shouts the loudest is often the least heard.

Any other members feel free to add to this...

Last edited: 15 Apr 2015
  9. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Always make sure your photos are uploaded correctly, without being turned or messing up the page due to thumbnail error :p
    File names like 'DSC0123' as picture titles don't look good, really.

10. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Ermmm... the problem with your suggesting such a thing, Macaw16, is that your own posts are often delightfully wobbly in their application of grammar and their adherence to the rules of spelling. For example, this one here - http://www.zoochat.com/1172/view-great-grey-owl-aviary-405826/ - shows a possibly rather cavalier attitude towards the apostrophe....