Join our zoo community

ZooChat European Cup Round 1: Jihlava vs Olomouc vs Rostock

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 19 Oct 2018.

?

Ectotherms

Poll closed 21 Oct 2018.
  1. Jihlava

53.3%
  2. Olomouc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rostock

46.7%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A Czech newcomer derby, plus first-time-first-round loser Rostock. The latter didn’t pull a vote against Zlin on birds, but perhaps ectotherms will be a category more to its liking.

The rules:

- You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the category in question.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and whatever else. You don't have to have visited all the zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - Voting closes in two days, and an absolute majority is required to advance.
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything other than the given category.

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

For a zoo of its size, Jihlava has a really nice tropical house focused on ectotherms. The species might not be so interesting, but it is very, very well done, and architecturally attractive to boot.

Mr. Zootycoon and Brum like this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've gone for Jihlava, it seems to have quite a nice set up in comparison to the other two. But that does involve me having to overlook the massive failure that is the extremely tacky crashed plane/lizard enclosure!

LaughingDove likes this.
  4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure that Jihlava is so much better than Rostock.

Sure Jihlava has more reptiles in a nice set-up than Rostock, but there are hardly any fish. Whereas Rostock has Ectotherms throughout the zoo. With the Darwineum as highlight, including a sizeable Coral reef tank and displays for other reptiles, fish, jellyfish and horseshoe crabs all in a well-done evolutionary display. In terms of overall ectotherm diversity Rostock should win and I would say in terms of presentation as well.