Join our zoo community

ZooChat European Cup Round 2: Bern vs Budapest

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 24 Nov 2018.

?

Everything except mammals

Poll closed 27 Nov 2018.
  1. Bern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Budapest

100.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Two of the lesser known zoos left in the tournament, so if you’ve been to one or both please chime in and help others make up their mind. :)

Been got here on ectotherms. Budapest joins the race with birds.

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've gone for Budapest as, on paper, it seems far better (earless monitors! :D) and some of the aviaries look brilliant, especially the vulture one.

3. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't been to either, but isn't the reason that Budapest Zoo gets a lot of flak that their exhibits for large mammals are mediocre at best and woefully small at worst? Their exhibits for smaller animals seem to be fine. I know that Bern Zoo is praised a lot for having a very high overall exhibit quality and doing some innovative things, but in this case, I'll let the much, much larger collection win. Unless someone can convince me that the difference in exhibit quality is bigger than I thought.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Budapest is far from a fantastic zoo, but most of the bird and reptile displays are not bad, though a large number of the reptile tanks is somewhat on the small side. Bern certainly beats it in quality, but cannot compete to the quantity of ok to good enclosures. That said there was no enclosure in Budapest that stood out as being great, whereas Bern's vivarium and Puffin aviary certainly very good.