Join our zoo community

ZooChat European Cup Round 2: Poznan vs Magdeburg

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 16 Nov 2018.

?

Carnivores and ungulates

Poll closed 19 Nov 2018.
  1. Magdeburg

70.6%
  2. Poznan

29.4%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pleased with this match-up, as both zoos have won on the category against strong opposition before. Poznan brings ungulates with it from round one. Magdeburg joins the fray with carnivores.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Bit of a tricky one, this. Both collections have a fantastic range of carnivores and hoofstock, but I think I shall have to vote for Magdeburg as the collection which I have visited and thus experienced for myself.

My review of the collection after my 2014 visit makes my feelings about the place clear, and aspects of the collection which I mentioned at the time which are pertinent to the matter at hand include the following:

• One of the best mixed exhibits for Black Rhinoceros and various African antelope I have seen.
    • Simple but spacious paddocks for species such as Onager and Eurasian Forest Reindeer.
    • Large and pleasant exhibits for Chinese Dhole, European Golden Jackal, Carpathian Lynx and Siberian Tiger.
    • A good number of oddities including Marbled Polecat, White-nosed Coati and the aforementioned jackal.

However, the thing which really swings the matter is the fact that after recently visiting the collection a second time in September 2018 I was blown away by how improved the collection was after substantial expansions in the last few years added a massive African savannah complex which includes a large mixed exhibit for Impala, South African Elephant and Grivet Monkey - with the addition of nominate Warthog and Bat-eared Fox (already held in the collection elsewhere) intended for the future - and other very nice exhibits for Nubian Ibex (mixed with Gelada) and Lesser Kudu. The aforementioned savannah complex replaces what was the single worst part of the 2014 collection, a frankly terrible elephant house.

Despite Poznan holding a few oddities in the carnivore department to cause any zoo-nerd excitement - including Feline Genet, European Mink and African Palm Civet - my knowledge of the exhibits at said collection would lead me to believe that generally speaking, Magdeburg nonetheless has the edge.

Mr. Zootycoon, CGSwans and TZDugong like this.
  3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I, on the other hand, have voted Poznan. Ungulates and carnivores are definitely Poznan's two top areas with a number of interesting small carnivores spread across the nocturnal house and a dedicated section of the zoo for small carnivores as well as a number of larger carnivores dotted around. It's been several years since I last visited and I don't have time to remind myself on ZTL or in the galleries but I believe there was quite a good Siberian Tiger enclosure among a few others.

In terms of Ungulates, Poznan zoo has quite a large area with some extensive forested areas and some rather nice ungulate enlosures dotted around with things like Vicuna and Wood Bison as well as a particularly nice enclosure for Takins and a very large pleasant elephant house (I forget if elephants count as ungulates for this challenge or not).

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

African palm civet: Poznan: African palm civet

Civets: Poznan: Feline genet

Cats: Magdeburg: Sand cat, snow leopard, lion, margay
    Poznan: Leopard cat, jaguarondi, northern lynx, Pallas’s cat, caracal

Hyenas: Magdeburg: Striped hyena

Mongooses: Magdeburg: Banded mongoose, dark cusimanse, marsh mongoose, yellow mongoose

Dogs: Magdeburg: African wild dog, bush dog, dhole, golden jackal
    Poznan: Wolf

Mustelids:
    Magdeburg: Marbled polecat
    Poznan: Eurasian otter, European mink, yellow-throated marten, Siberian weasel

Seals: Poznan: Harbour seal

Raccoons: Poznan: Kinkajou, South American coati,

Horses: Magdeburg: Onager

Rhinoceroses: Magdeburg: Black rhinoceros
    Poznan: White rhinoceros

Pigs: Magdeburg: Northern warthog, red river hog
    Poznan: Negros warty pig

Camelids: Poznan: Vicuna

Chevotrains: Poznan: Java mouse deer

Deer: Magdeburg: Axis deer, reindeer, tufted deer
    Poznan: Bawean deer, Reeves’ muntjac, Javan rusa, Pere David’s deer, Vietnamese sika, Visayan spotted deer

Bovids: Magdeburg: Chinese goral, impala, defassa waterbuck, African buffalo, lesser kudu
    Poznan: American bison, sable antelope, black wildebeest, European bison, nilgai, takin, Thomson’s gazelle, sitatunga

Magdeburg (3): Hyenas, mongooses, horses
    Poznan (5): African palm civet, civets, seals, raccoons, camelids

Poznan wins 5-3

5. TeaLovingDave

Worth noting that you have omitted a raccoon held by Magdeburg (white-nosed coati) so by your rules, the tally should be 4-3.

Also, you have failed to list several species Magdeburg holds in a few other points (which gives an incorrect picture of the species diversity within families) and included one species/family for Poznan (the African Palm Civet) which is entirely offshow - I seem to recall you have previously omitted such species?

6. Dassie rat

Magdeburg and Poznan both have white-nosed coatis, so I didn't include that species, as well as other species held by both zoos.

I have been using the Expert Search in ZTL and I have not omitted species that are currently off show.

CGSwans allows us to choose our own criteria for comparing zoos. I may use different criteria next time.

7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having just been to both a matter of months ago (and less than a week apart) I'm going to go with Poznan. I will admit my visit to Magdeburg was mixed to say the least but, while it is a fantastic and rapidly developing collection, I do find it falls short of Poznan in terms of species and exhibitry.

@Dassie rat, I do believe Magdeburg is out of Marsh Mongoose by now as a keeper told us they were leaving imminently in September (and if not they are bts). Poznan exhibits Common Dwarf Mongoose. Additionally Poznan also keeps European Wildcat on-exhibit, not to mention their Caracal are a rare subspecies.

EDIT: Poznan also keeps European Brown Bear.

~Thylo

Mr. Zootycoon and LaughingDove like this.
  8. Dassie rat

Thanks Thylo

You're right about the European brown bear and the European wild cat, according to ZTL. The score should have been 6-3 to Poznan. The marsh mongoose is still listed on ZTL, but I suspect your information is more up to date.

9. TeaLovingDave

Latest I have heard is that they are no longer leaving, but are still offshow.